It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DragonCon 2012 (Atlanta GA) - Any ATS members going?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
For those who don't know, this is one of the largest Sci-Fi and Fantasy conventions out there, and takes place on Labor Day weekend in Atlanta Georgia. Lots of celebrities from these shows and movies, lots of costumes and cosplay, and lots of gaming and comics, etc.

My wife and I will be there this year (her first time, my third). Would love to see any other ATS members who may be going (and I have to imagine some are in this crowd). She's excited as she has a photo-op with Ian Somerholder (Damian from Vampire Diaries). I'm personally looking to get a pic with Erin Gray (Wilma off Buck Rogers). In addition to all the other fun stuff to do there of course.

It's been years since I went. I don't get starstruck really, but I know my wife does, so should be interesting. In the past, I even got to have little informal chats with Sir Anthony Daniels (C-3PO) and John de Lancie (Q from STNG).

Anyhoo, it's a pretty fun place for folks who are into these kinds of things. Sure, the big plan is to go to ComicCon next year, as that's become the biggest around, but I think this will be a good introduction to it, for my wife (who's also a fellow geek...)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Wow! I hope you have a wonderful time and it would be fantastic if you could post an update afterwards to tell us all about your time there.

I have wanted to go to DragonCon for years (enough that I just about looked into selling my kid as a fundraising effort). Unfortunately, being near Chicago it is too far away and my husband and I can't afford to go. A handful of my favorite authors attend regularly and their pictures make it look like SO much fun.

Again, I hope that you and your wife have a great time and I would definitely be interested in hearing about it so I can live vicariously through you guys!
Take care,
Cindi

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I have never been, but would love to go. I might just have to. There have been rumors circulating about the true nature of these kinds of events... though. Even if the rumors are remotely possible, it's a scary concept to consider... Here is what I've heard, so please be careful...

Sci-fi/fantasy/horror conventions attract people of higher than average intellect and extremely higher than average imagination. Therefore, TPTB have begun funding these events to attract the most intellectual and imaginative people from the "average" American crowd. These people have been declared as potential dangers in the brave new world to come. People who roleplay and strategize are used to confronting unexpected scenarios with unconventional thinking ---a clear threat to a possible future totalitarian or semi-totalitarian state. So, these conventions are like honey attracting bees. Step One: attract the smartest and the brightest.

Next, they have begun (it is rumored) to instill subtle, subliminal messages throughout the convention atmosphere. Look for messages like: Obey (like the hidden signs in They Live) and Conform, etc. Another tactic is to begin an annual dosage of several "long-burn" drugs that slowly release over the next year (until the next convention). The drugs are introduced via convention vendors in drinks/food/pastries and promotional non-permanent tatoos. For those who attend more than one convention, they are affected much faster. These long-burn drugs become more powerful as they interact with any over-the-counter and/or prescription medication the victim/target takes over the next year. Further, mix in aspartame and MSG as "multipliers." The effects are unknown, but several of the recent "zombie" cannibalism incidents have been attributed to the build-up of drugs in human systems (officials used the bath salts theory to explain away the real reason). In fact, some suspect that at least two of the zombie cannibals were convention attendees, one of which attended at least four conventions in the previous 11 months.

From what has been gathered, convention-goers over the last decade have been suffering from all sorts of maladies beyond the average, including such strange afflictions like Morgellon's Disease, where multi-colored fibers sprout from painful body rashes. To date, scientists have been unable to determine the cause, but many sufferers had been convention-goers. So, Step Two involves the drugging and psychological programming of attendees.

There is a possible Step Three: the implanting of tracking devices in convention commemorative items, like "Celebration 7 Darth Vader Action Figure" and the like. Numerous free gifts and promotional items have been tagged with long/semi/short range transmitters including RFID tags. This lets future tracking teams home-in on potential trouble makers when the axe falls and the power-grab begins. Even if a person did not attend a convention and purchased one of these items via eBay or other means, the tracker teams will probably stage an op at that person's residence because they LIKED such an item and are therefore likely to be smarter and creative. Thus, Step Three is to track convention goers or enthusiasts like animals. Be careful when you power-up that Star Wars lightsaber or fantasy dragon display with glowing eyes.

TPTB have been using such conventions to eliminate a future threat: smart, intelligent, creative people who have been putting themselves in imagined tactical and strategic situations for decades. It's like they want to eliminate (or render mentally unstable) the Wolverines from Red Dawn before the grab for power begins. Gamers and convention attenders would likely be the majority of those people to not only fight for their freedom, but be able to generate creative tactical plans against a future totalitarian state.

So, if you attend these conventions... Be wary. Be ready. Be safe.

Although the above speculation is for entertainment purposes only, it is within the fringes of the possible.

edit on 21-6-2012 by GhostLancer because: Typo

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I've been 3 times within the past 10 years.

It's alot of fun.

Last time I went I got in for free by volunteering as a GM to run Witch Hunter.

Had a great time.

Btw bring some Fabreeze. You're gonna need it if you go to the celebrity room.
Alot of people that go there don't bath. And it's gets a little ripe by late saturday.
edit on 21-6-2012 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join