It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy San Diego Calls For Global Action To Say No TPP

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
A recently leaked document regarding the Trans Pacific Partnership "free trade" negotiations highlights the need to raise awareness on what exactly President Obama and his Crony Capitalists are getting the United States into. San Diego area residents might want to take note.

Thread on the leaked document, if you value sovereignty and oppose Fascism, I suggest giving that thread a thorough look as well as the document itself.

From July 2 to July 10, the political leaders of the Pacific Rim nations are meeting in San Diego to turn the Pacific Ocean and its peoples into a giant privatized corporate lake characterized by non-union workers, Wal-Mart supply chain feeders, poisoned, landless agricultural laborers, a dying biodiversity, and rising, drowning sea levels. We cannot and will not let this happen.

The TPP meeting is officially referred to as the 13th Round of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) Talks. The nations involved are the United States, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Malaysia, Vietnam, Brunei, Chile, and Peru. Japan, Mexico and Canada have indicated a desire to join. The economic power of this group is more than 40% larger than the 27-nation European Union. The claimed purpose of TPP is to promote development and create jobs.

However, this meeting is in fact one of the final conclaves to secretly negotiate the economic structural adjustments necessary to appease the world’s largest multinational banks and multi-unit corporations. Make no mistake, these talks have nothing to do with free trade between equal nations. Rather, they are negotiations being conducted on behalf of these corporations and banks by their willing and highly-paid governments (supported by their militaries and police departments) to systematize the exploitation of the Pacific Rim peoples and increase the capital acquisition rates of the 1%. The essence of these talks is to privatize natural resources (despite the wishes of the world’s indigenous peoples); restructure each country’s trade, labor, environmental, and finance laws; and reduce or eradicate social services to the people. These policies are known the world over as neoliberalism. Historically, they have been instituted around the world ever since the brutal taking of power in Chile, on September 11, 1973, by the fascist regime of General Augusto Pinochet. These policies, thus experimented with, spread to countries as widespread as the U.K., the U.S., Mexico, Argentina, Indonesia, Russia, Poland, Sri Lanka, and now Greece. They have been implemented by the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, the World Trade Organization, a plethora of “Free Trade” treaties (such as NAFTA), and various militaries. Enough is enough! ¡Ya basta

Occupy San Diego

edit on 21-6-2012 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
The 'multi-national' corporations that are pushing this are mostly american. I do not know what Americans are so freaked out about. Americans seem to like being ruled by corporatist overlords. You already are. In places like Australia on the other hand we have at least some laws and regulations in place to protect our citizens from corporatists. We value public health in Australia for example. Americans do not.

They are trying to destroy laws and regulations that Australia has in place. Our Phamacuetical Benifits Scheme is one of the many things that the corporatists are trying to remove.

Why exactly does this affect Americans again? I do not follow. There was a thread on this a few days ago with heaps of Americans yapping about partisan nonsense. Am I missing something? What exactly are Americans concerned about in relation to the TPP?
edit on 21-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

what exactly President Obama and his Crony Capitalists are getting the United States into

I guess you missed that part.

The 'multi-national' corporations that are pushing this are mostly american.

Duh.

You guys seem to like being rules by corporatist overlords.

Maybe some Americans are brainwashed into this, many are not or many are waking up, thus we have things like Occupy.

In places like Australia on the other hand we have laws and regulations in place to protect our citizens from corpoatists

That's great, here in America you get hissed at if you say the word regulations and mean it to apply to Big Business and not small business. However, you may want to step off your self constructed pedestal for a minute and realize that Australia is as involved as the US. Austraila Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. This trade partnership threatens the sovereignty of every participating nation, that includes Australia.

Why exactly does this affect Americans again? I do not follow.

Then maybe you should read the thread again.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

The average American just wants to work and feed their family's, I will gladly welcome corporatist and capitalist as long as they bring jobs to America , It sucks being broke , and a majority of Americans are without jobs. Do you have a job ?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74

what exactly President Obama and his Crony Capitalists are getting the United States into

I guess you missed that part.

The 'multi-national' corporations that are pushing this are mostly american.

Duh.

You guys seem to like being rules by corporatist overlords.

Maybe some Americans are brainwashed into this, many are not or many are waking up, thus we have things like Occupy.

In places like Australia on the other hand we have laws and regulations in place to protect our citizens from corpoatists

That's great, here in America you get hissed at if you say the word regulations and mean it to apply to Big Business and not small business. However, you may want to step off your self constructed pedestal for a minute and realize that Australia is as involved as the US. Austraila Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. This trade partnership threatens the sovereignty of every participating nation, that includes Australia.

Why exactly does this affect Americans again? I do not follow.

Then maybe you should read the thread again.

Sounds like you have no idea like I thought. No need to be rude either. "What is Obama and his Crony Capitalists getting you in for?" Indeed.

Did Americans consider that the Trade Deal, is actcually not getting "you" in for anyything much but its the people of the other nations that your government is helping the corporatists rip off? Like I said, they already rip Americans off. The American health system is evil. Your government wants to help corporations like pfizer make more money on things like cancer medication and stuff like that. And much more. It goes beyond Public Health.

To the Honourable The Speaker and Members of the House of Representatives This petition of concerned citizens draws to the attention of the House: The Australian government is negotiating a Trans-Pacific Partnership free trade agreement (TPPA) with the US, New Zealand, Chile, Peru, Brunei, Singapore, Malaysia and Vietnam. But the agenda is being set by giant US corporations. They see many Australian health, social, cultural and environmental policies are barriers to trade which should be removed. They want to use the negotiations to undermine the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and charge higher prices for medicines, to give special rights for corporations to sue governments, to remove labelling of genetically modified food, to undermine local jobs and fair employment conditions for government contracts, and to weaken policies for Australian content in film, television and digital media. They also oppose including enforceable labour rights and environmental protections in the agreement. We therefore ask the House not to support any agreement which undermines any of the above listed policies, to support the inclusion of enforceable labour rights and environmental protections in the agreement, and to support publication of the text of the agreement for public and parliamentary debate before it is ratified.

parlinfo.aph.gov.au...;orderBy=customrank;page=0;query=TPP%20petition;rec=0;resCount=Default

Our Government are puppets of the US. Not all of the politicians are though. This is a petition that one of our MPs organised. Not only are our politicians US puppets but they are also afraid of the US politically. To say no to the US is a political no no for many reasons. Many people think that our former Prime Minister, Harold Holt was killed by the CIA because of him voicing public concern over Vietnam. The CIA kills people. Not only that, like I said, America can hurt a coutry politically if they do not follow orders.

So you can see how this hurts Australians. How does it hurt Americans again?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by bdb818888

The average American just wants to work and feed their family's, I will gladly welcome corporatist and capitalist as long as they bring jobs to America , It sucks being broke , and a majority of Americans are without jobs. Do you have a job ?

I have a business.

Why would you think corporatists would create jobs? They destroy jobs and send them to China and India. It is absurd to call them 'job creators'. Its actually a bad joke.

Monopolies on markets and unfair market shares are wrong. legislation should be passed to protect us against corporatists. The evil US government should not be assisting corporatists to rip us all off in the pacific.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Sounds like you have no idea like I thought.

Funny. I'm not the one who seems to be having trouble with reading comprehension. I don't want this trade agreement which is why I'm posting a thread about speaking out against it. There are at least some Americans that do not want this trade agreement which is why they are calling for an action to say NO to it.

No need to be rude either.

You get out what you put in.

Did Americans consider that the Trade Deal, is actcually not getting "you" in for anyything much but its the people of the other nations that your government is helping the corporatists rip off? Like I said, they already rip Americans off. The American health system is evil. Your government wants to help corporations like pfizer make more money on things like cancer medication and stuff like that. And much more.

Yes. Again that is why some Americans are speaking out.

Our Government are puppets of the US.

If your government is, as you say, puppets of the US...does that not put some responsibility on you as a citizen of Australia to do something about it? Don't paint your politicians as victims of big bad America, they are complicit...acknowledge it, own it and do something about it, instead of constantly playing morally superior to us. THIS American is trying to do something about it and you choose to get snarky with me.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

No no no, Corporatist do create jobs , it's the American government that over regulates the corporatist and then they take their business overseas where their is LESS regulation ,they don't enslave us, the government does.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

You couldn't be more wrong. Large corporations aren't regulated, they buy their way out of everything. The regulations we have in place now really only hurt small business. I'm not saying we shouldn't have regulations, we absolutely should but we need common sense ones that apply where we need them to and not to the little guy that's trying to make it on his own outside of the corporate world.

Corporations do not create jobs, that is myth we are told practically from birth. They aren't interested in fairness or any other such noble thing, they are interested in maximized profit even through exploitation. They move jobs to places where they can exploit workers.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

If your government is, as you say, puppets of the US...does that not put some responsibility on you as a citizen of Australia to do something about it? Don't paint your politicians as victims of big bad America, they are complicit...acknowledge it, own it and do something about it, instead of constantly playing morally superior to us. THIS American is trying to do something about it and you choose to get snarky with me.

I do not think I was 'snarky' at all. Especially not to you personally. I was hoping you could fill me in on what Americans are so freaked out about. The thread I mentioned had about 40 flags and many ignorant American posters thinking that this would hurt them personally in some way. I was hoping to hear specifically what this TPP agreement will change for Americans.

I was very interested because Americans dont care about stuff unless it affects them personally. It seemed odd there is so much interest.

And it is up to the American public. There is nothing we can do. Your government kills people. Nobody elses government does that really. The CIA is evil. It really doesnt matter who we elect. The American public are pathetic and sticking with the Republicans or Democrats. Europe is turning away from traditional parties. Americans have no excuse. Most are too lazy to even vote.

The only solution is to remove the US as superpower. The BRICS are close to doing that thank god. When the Reserve Currency is taken away from America it will be a glorious day.

edit- I find it very hard to believe so many americans were posting because they care about other countries. They must be worried about something.
edit on 21-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

No no no, Corporatist do create jobs , it's the American government that over regulates the corporatist and then they take their business overseas where their is LESS regulation ,they don't enslave us, the government does.

That is wrong.

Look at walmart. sent all your jobs to China. They all do it.

Small business is what we need to help. Not corporations.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

That's BULL , why do you think most corporations are moving out of America , because government regulation is too expensive, that's why they go overseas where there is less regulation and labor is a hell of a lot cheaper.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

To be honest, it's because it allows corporations to do on American soil what we have done in third world nations for ages. That sounds very selfish but it is what it is. A lot of Americans have always been against such practices we just get drowned out.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Believe as you wish, I hope I never have the chance to say I told you so. Sadly, I think I will.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   

You would welcome those who keep you broke, your taxes high, your food and gas expensive? Good luck with that.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   

reply to post by Kali74

That's BULL , why do you think most corporations are moving out of America , because government regulation is too expensive, that's why they go overseas where there is less regulation and labor is a hell of a lot cheaper.

It costs money to treat your industrial waste so that it does not foul the environment. It costs money to be sure your manufacturing facilities are safe for your workers. Sure the restrictions are less in foreign countries and the wages are lower. It does not mean cheaper goods for you. It does not mean cleaner air or environment for you. It does not mean safer and more affordable food for you and your family. IT MEANS MORE PROFIT FOR THE CORPORATIONS!!

When corporations want workers to make wage concessions, they should also be willing to make PROFIT concessions of equal magnitude.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

America was founded on capitalism , if it wasn't for rich people we poor folk wouldn't have jobs , I will take any job I can get to feed my family , I refuse to sit on my butt and live off welfare and food stamps or unemployment , corporations do bring jobs and If a big corporation offers me a job ,Im gonna take it. America needs big corporations and small business , being broke sucks , and all these Occupy folks are lazy people who want the govermnent to take care of them , they don't want to work, they just want to complain and blame rich folks for all their problems.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Agreed, Kali.

Scorched Earth Capitalism needs to end. I understand that it is done with the mentality that when they've trashed a given area, they can just move onto the next one; but this planet has only so much landmass. Eventually they will have turned the whole thing into a single, giant patch of gravel, and there will be nowhere else for them to go.

The single main reason why this enrages me, even more than what they're doing to the environment, is because it keeps giving people completely the wrong idea where technology is concerned. Every single time the boneheads in the Fortune 500 do something like this, we end up with several thousand more primitivists, who scream that machines in any form are going to render us extinct, and they all have to be smashed.

Understand something. What these corporations do, is for the purposes of instant gratification. They optimise on the basis of a single metric; making as much money as they can, as fast as they can. It's not only bad environmental stewardship, it's also bad engineering.

I knew a guy from Texas last year, who worked in the oil industry; he was an explosives expert for the mining they did. He said that if BP had given a crap about workmanship, the Deepwater Horizon disaster would not have happened at all; that things like that happen because people are stupid, greedy, and lazy, and just want to get things done as fast and as cheaply as possible.

I am begging people; do not take the message from things like this, that mechanical/electronic technology is inherently evil, in general terms. It is not. It's just that things need to be designed and performed in appropriate ways; what Jacques Fresco has referred to as strategic safety.

The problem isn't using or creating machines. It's creating and using them, from a morally degenerate standpoint.
edit on 21-6-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Okay, you get to be the poster boy for propaganda works. What you fail to realize is that shrinking corporate domination allows room for small business to thrive. If you want to call self sufficiency welfare and being lazy that's on you, I guess. I guess you prefer fascism over liberty.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Kali74

America was founded on capitalism , if it wasn't for rich people we poor folk wouldn't have jobs , I will take any job I can get to feed my family , I refuse to sit on my butt and live off welfare and food stamps or unemployment , corporations do bring jobs

You need to make money to eat. I get that.

The problem is, if they trash literally all land everywhere, they also aren't going to have any land left to grow food. A big part of the reason why they're doing the Coal Seam Gas/fracking etc stuff now, is because most of the cheap oil and gas is gone at this point; it's getting a lot more difficult to get it out of the ground. So those jobs aren't going to exist forever, either.

You could be a lot more economically secure if they didn't do things like this. A cleaner environment means more arable land, on which to grow food; and if agribusiness stopped screwing small farmers, you could find jobs that way. If they don't pollute the ocean excessively, it also means that there's more fish, which can in turn mean fishing work.

So corporations trashing the environment doesn't necessarily translate into more jobs. It will initially, for a short period of time, yes; but once the resources they wanted are gone, then there will be no more jobs...and if they've wrecked the land you live on to the point where it can't grow food, you won't be able to get work doing anything else, either.
edit on 21-6-2012 by petrus4 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join