It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jordan: Syrian pilot defects in fighter jet.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
An ATS search didn't provide a previous post so here goes...

(CBS/AP) DAMASCUS - Syria's state-run TV said Thursday that authorities had lost contact with a military plane that was on a training mission in the country, as officials in neighboring Jordan reportedly said the plane had landed in that country, suggesting a defection.

According to Syrian TV, the military lost contact with the MiG-21 warplane near the nation's southern border with Jordan late in the morning. The report said the plane was piloted by a Col. Hasan Merhi al-Hamadeh.

Earlier reports said the Syrian jet had landed at the King Hussein airbase in al-Mafraq - which sits only about 20 miles south of the Syrian city of Daraa, which has seen intense fighting between Syrian rebels and government forces in recent months. Syrian officials would not comment on the reports out of Jordan.

Syrian Defection

The violence will only continue as opposition forces push forward against Assad's regime. I wonder if additional senior officials will try to defect?

edit on 21-6-2012 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

Thanks for not giving ATS a Biased news title,based on stance.......

S&F

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Thanks, Sonny! I'm trying to stay out of this one. I have enough irons (and opinions) in the fire right now! Lol. The only thing I will say is that I find it interesting, both as the defector was a senior military person, and a fighter jet was used. It reminds me of the Soviet fighter that flew into Japan in 1976. I always giggle a little when I read the fighter jet was returned to the Soviets...in pieces.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   

MiG-21

Why does it always seem to be MiG-21 pilots that defect? I've read similar News titles all throughout the cold war and it always seems to be MiG-21 pilots. What? Are they that crappy of fighters that when the possibility of confronting the West's fighters they toss in the towel?

In any case, Hopefully the situation will resolve itself without intervention from the Western Powers. I've read Assad has been offered safe passage....

Syrian president may be offered safe passage for standing down

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Syria is boo hooing and want their genocide machine back,

Syria says defector pilot is a traitor, wants jet back

Source

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Love this. I too remember reading about this happening in the 80's, a Soviet fighter pilot, fresh from the academy, flew his jet to Turkey and defected via Turkey to the United States.

Misread what was written.
edit on 21-6-2012 by Monger because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-6-2012 by Monger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I think Pilots are smart. They know offering up pieces of Military hardware,pays for their freedom.

MHO

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

I think Pilots are smart. They know offering up pieces of Military hardware,pays for their freedom.

MHO

They also know they will be shot out of the sky in a confrontation with the West, and if they survive the parachute landing (if they get a chance to deploy one even) that they will only live to hang by the gallows with the Tyrant.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

In any case, Hopefully the situation will resolve itself without intervention from the Western Powers.

This would be great. I don't have a lot of faith that our government will be able to resist in spite of itself. Let's hope so!

Love the comments on the MIG-21!
I think the 1976 Soviet-Japan defection was a MIG-25.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Wasn't there a few with regards to Vietnam and also Korean fighters

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Sorry Slayer69 i didn't see this thread.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

Source

And the rebels in your mind are pure angles who wouldn't harm a fly.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:37 PM
link   
NM.

edit on 21-6-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   

I feel the need to defend Agent_USA_Supporter publicly here, you used an unjustified attack of his thread title.

Fact is, Agent_USA_Supporter posted exact title at the time of posting.

when saying below bottom post, you proved yourself to be dishonest and ignorant of how news media operates.

You need to be taught the way some news companies and websites operate.

Don't you know that CNN absolutely not publish news with permanent titles? In fact, their titles are dynamic, and change within the day.

Only after the final update do the title stay as it is.

With further updates to a news story, CNN often change the titles. You should monitor their website and see this for yourself.

The previous title, "Syrian pilot defects, prompting praise from U.S. ", Agent_USA_Supporter posted correctly.

It can be proven that CNN used that title previously.

-----

Jordan grants asylum to Syrian pilot as death toll spikes

No matter how you attempt to spin peoples opinions posting the wrong title [Which by the way is against ATS Breaking Alternative News format] just makes you look desperate and lowers the standards here at ATS IMO.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

Originally posted by TinfoilTP

Source

And the rebels in your mind are pure angles who wouldn't harm a fly.

They are civillians armed with small arms, Assad is using artillery, armor, air power through a trained millitary.
Your hate for them rebels clouds your judgement, or is it just your hate for the West in general? How dare them rebels hope on help from the West when they should just die in the streets heh?

The Pilots know the score, they always get out of Dodge before the Sheriff gets to town, smart fellas.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by uesvaje

Here's the current title of Agent_USA_Supporter thread news. It has been changed even from the title Super Mod DontTreadOnMe edited.

This proves it is dynamic, not permanent. I guess I don't need to further prove the original "Syrian pilot defects, prompting praise from U.S." title do I?

New Syrian 'massacres' reported as Jordan grants pilot asylum
By the CNN Wire Staff
June 21, 2012 -- Updated 1852 GMT (0252 HKT)

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

I'm not sure. I know just about every Communist country during the Cold War had people defect. I think a lot of the planes used to defect were returned to the Soviet Union, just not always in one piece!

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   
I thought everyone just loves Assad guess not, and that pilot was not a rebel he was working for Assad.

Good for the pilot.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I find it hilarious that people say the US is funding terrorist but offer no proof what so ever.
I hope if that pilot has family, he made provisions for them before defecting

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Did the Syrian pilot willingly defect or did he have "incentive" to do so?

Source

Some inconsistencies in the story...

The earliest reporting has the pilot making an emergency landing in Jordan. But that changed to defection.

Checking out SANA first
SANA initially reported that contact had been lost with the plane.

"“Earlier, an official source announced that contact was lost with an MiG-21 aircraft that was on a training flight.”

Then SANA reports that the pilot was forced to make an emergency landing in Jordan

"In Amman, a Jordanian government source told Agence France-Presse (AFP) that the MiG-21 warplane was forced to land in north Jordan."

Since Syria had lost contact with the plane and it's pilot the the information of the "forced landing" had to have come from Jordan.

Its an interesting story... obivously updates happen through the story BUT seems a little sketchy?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join