It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy replenishing Tomahawk supply

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
The US Navy has just awarded Raytheon a $337.8M contract to supply 361 Tomahawk Block IV missiles. They will be split into 238 RGM-109s, designed for shipboard VLS launchers, and 123 UGM-109 designed for subs equipped with the Capsule Launch System.

The Block IV makes some very interesting changes, that will make the Tomahawk much more effective. These include the capability to be controlled by an operator who can redirect that missile to a new target in mid-flight. It also has the ability to loiter and wait for a target to come up. It also is capable of sending health messages to the operator. Another feature is the anti-jam GPS receiver to increase the already incredible accuracy of the missile.

All the most recent conflicts have started with a storm of cruise missiles against fixed enemy targets. The war in Libya is just the last of a long series of campaigns or raids in which Tomahawk missiles have been used to wipe out the opponent’s air defenses, before the first combat planes entered the enemy air space.

Therefore, such cruise missiles stocks are being replenished.

Raytheon have just won a $337.8 million for 361 additions to the Tomahawk fleet of the U.S Navy, split into 238 RGM-109 missiles that are launched from the Vertical Launch System (VLS) on surface ships, and 123 UGM-109 that are launched from submarines equipped with the Capsule Launch System (CLS).

theaviationist.com...

Block IV Tomahawk is the current generation of the Tomahawk family of cruise missiles. The BGM-109 Tomahawk family began life in the 1980s as sub-sonic, low-flying nuclear strike weapons, before being developed into long-range RGM/UGM-109 conventional attack missiles. They’re most frequently launched from submarines and surface ships, and have been the US Navy’s preferred option for initial air strikes in Iraq, Libya, et. al. Britain has also bought Tomahawk missiles, and launches them exclusively from submarines.

Block IV is the latest variant, adding innovative technologies that improve combat flexibility, while dramatically reducing the costs to buy, operate, and support these missiles. That program, under PMA-280, has been one of the USA’s acquisition success stories over the last decade. Now a June 2012 order will add another 361 missiles to the fleet.

www.defenseindustrydaily.com...

www.defense.gov...

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Good to see they are replenishing our supplies it's never good to let the stocks get too low. Otherwise we could end up like the poor british sending out frigates with a whole 4 missiles on board to Libya.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   
reply to post by roguetechie

I doubt that.

So, according to there own website they have been available since the 80's?? I am sure there much more advanced than the current article wants to admit.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by hoochymama

The Tomahawk Block I was first built in the 1980s. That included the Land Attack Missile, and the Ship Attack Missile. The T-LAM is the only variant still around. The Block III is the standard version currently in inventory, and it's quite capable. As early as the Block I, you could fly one across the country, and put it through a specific window, on a specific floor, of a specific building.

There are other more advanced missiles, but the T-LAM has the advantage of low cost, high numbers, and being incredibly effective at its job.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Exactly why it's so good that they are topping off their stores of this valuable asset in our national defense arsenal.

I don't know why some people believe only the newest wunderwaffe will do to attack our enemies with. The reality is the cruise missile is still an insanely valuable asset.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I wonder of thats the amount they figure theyll need to expend in Syria/Iran?
Just sos they dont run out afterwards.......or before they annihalate the country.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by hoochymama

There are other more advanced missiles, but the T-LAM has the advantage of low cost, high numbers, and being incredibly effective at its job.

I can only imagine with the changes in the computing technology (hardware/software) and navigation system(s), the possibilities or re-inventing the existing models is the way to go to make it cost effective.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Well, that's probably as significant as anything. When thinking about miitary purchases and costs, everyone worries about carriers, F35's and other big ticket items....which can't do much if they don't have anything to shoot.....

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I wonder of thats the amount they figure theyll need to expend in Syria/Iran?
Just sos they dont run out afterwards.......or before they annihalate the country.

Syria is up... Iran is on deck.

They are "replenishing supplies", huh? That order is to prepare for the final act with Syria after the election. Tomahawks will be the first in. Add up all the first strike targets in Syria and add twenty percent. I bet the figures match.

I think "they" would have preferred to go in by now, but those damn vetoes in the UN by Russia and China ruined everything. Now, since its too close to elections, "they" will just have to rely on sanctions and the slow bleed by proxy until then. Damn warmongers.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Can they replenish stocks that quickly? I mean, if the order has just been signed, unless they had them sitting around the warehouse, it would be months before they were delivered, no?

reply to post by roguetechie

The ships we sent to Libya were Type 23's (and some soon to be decommissioned too) and the ship in question was en route back to Blighty when it was diverted at short notice. The missiles in question were Sea Wolfs too, which are anti-missile weapons and considering that the ship also has a CIWS as well, it isn't really that big a deal. The UK launches all it's Tomahawks from Submarines.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
cities are going bankrupt.And yet more money is sent to the MIC.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Can they replenish stocks that quickly? I mean, if the order has just been signed, unless they had them sitting around the warehouse, it would be months before they were delivered, no?

Dunno... how fast they can produce those. Dunno... how many are "in inventory" at the factory. Being a war item (with war "on the horizon") my guess is that they already knew this was coming and have been "ramping up". I am also speculating that they will not be needed until in fact we do infect Syria with them (why else) and that that "infection" won't occur until after the elections. Theres your "months" of production. Should be perfect timing.

new topics

top topics

join