It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"I did a search and did not see a thread on this subject"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
One important lesson I learned very early in my public school education is that the first paragraph, and even first sentence, in an essay or story you have written is a crucial element that can effect the overall effectiveness of the piece as a whole.

It's safe to say that a well-written thread can lose many readers right off the bat if the intro is lukewarm or lacks the ability to tug at the interest of the readers.

I, myself, am the type of person that will read a little to see if it peaks my interest. If it does not, I move on. If it does, I am willing to take the time to read the entire piece.

One thing I have noticed, and effects my willingness to read an entire OP, is when the thread is started with:

This kills my interest right off the bat. Even more frustrating to me is when you see this a few responses into the thread:

"There is already a thread on this......." Which is always followed with a link to the other thread.

Unfortunately, this is a monster of our own creation. Why do we insist of policing each other's threads when there are Mods on hand to take care of such matters? So many people have made the statement "There is already a thread on this" that many members now add "I did a search and did not see a thread on this subject" to every thread just to preempt the thread Nazi's that inevitably show up.

Mistakes happen. I have created threads who's information has been covered in threads by other members. The Mods take care of it and we move on.

But can we, as members, relax on the "There is already a thread on this......." so that we don't have to read thread after thread that begins with "I did a search and did not see a thread on this subject"?

I'd rather use my time talking about the topic at hand, then reading about other members who find it necessary to point out the fact that another thread may already exist. Also, I promise to use the search function if you promise not to point out the thread I did not see.

Deal?

Deal!

edit on 20-6-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
But can we, as members, relax on the "There is already a thread on this......." so that we don't have to read thread after thread that begins with "I did a search and did not see a thread on this subject"?

Of course we can, no problemo, whatsoever-o. Nope.

But erm... how about a nice polite 'Hey OP I saw a thread with the same topic at this LINK, thanks for sharing though!' ?

(Not my own thread I should add,and sorry, but I just totally could not resist.

And uh...deal!

edit on 20/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Grammar

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I completely agree with this one. I too have made this mistake a few times ( I mean writing something that was already written), and if it gets moved I understand.

Just wanted to add that there are a few things that should be mentioned for those that enjoy trying to link other threads.

There is a 3 month waiting period. If someone wrote a thread more then 3 months ago, it is ok. I have had members link to threads that were more then 2 years old.

If a thread has already been written and you bring an entirely new spin, then I would advise to let a mod know. They are quick with an answer, and will have a heads up.

Most importantly mod's make the final call. If your linking to another thread, and there is no response, if you walk in why post the same thing as another poster? this is a time waster.

Thanks for the reminder, I hope everyone gets a chance to look at this.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Thankyou, I wish I could star you 10x for this thread. A major pet peeve of mine this is.

The problem is that ATS has such high traffic that threads get old in a matter of weeks. Yet still, we have the mini-mods that have nothing to add than "this has already been done." If it is such a big deal you can't help but add this little tidbit in order to give yourself a daily power rush, then don't. Use that time to alert the thread and let the Mods handle it. It's what they are here for.

I agree the first paragraph of any thread is what garners the most interest. I understand people are worried about having their threads banished by multiples, but people just need to suck it up and discuss the issue on the remaining thread.

I think people need to be able to post with confidence, not be DG&R every time they create a new thread for all the ATS wannabe police to bash on because they have nothing intelligent to add to the conversation.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I almost immediately leave threads that start with, "Mods, I don't know if this is in the right forum, so please move it if it belongs elsewhere." That is one of my pet peeves. If I come to your thread, I want to read it! The Mods will move it if it's in the wrong place, no worries.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   
why is this in board and business? shouldn't this be in the writing forum or something teaching people how to write?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Already a thread on this: www.abovetopsecret.com....

....sorry. [leaves through the back door]

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Guilty as charged. But when I see this:

It just blows my mind. Do we really need the mods to hold our hand, and show us everything? Can we not take just a minute or two, and at least do a cursory search? Yes. Mistakes are inevitable. But blatant disregard for the basic rudiments of ATS etiquette don't have to be.

Nevertheless, the ALERT button is there for a reason. And I try to use that instead of harrassing the OP, which is futile anyway.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Kim Jong Il is dead?

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by sheepslayer247

Or, when a Moderator closes a thread and asks everyone to continue the discussion in the thread linked by the Moderator, that then, however, turns out to be locked aswell.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Apparently so, Not that i noticed

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
One important lesson I learned very early in my public school education is that the first paragraph, and even first sentence, in an essay or story you have written is a crucial element that can effect the overall effectiveness of the piece as a whole.

It's safe to say that a well-written thread can lose many readers right off the bat if the intro is lukewarm or lacks the ability to tug at the interest of the readers.

I, myself, am the type of person that will read a little to see if it peaks my interest. If it does not, I move on. If it does, I am willing to take the time to read the entire piece.

One thing I have noticed, and effects my willingness to read an entire OP, is when the thread is started with:

This kills my interest right off the bat.

First of all, it is important to note, that although it is true that the opening of any written work is crucial to retaining the ATTENTION of a reader, it is not true to say that this singular element can colour a reader against an entire piece, and if it can, then that speaks not to the failure of the writer, but the lack of attention span of the reader.

When dealing with subject matter as amorphous and bizzare as those with which we at ATS are often involved, applying such rigid models of thought to them is not helpful. Obviously appalling grammatical errors can make any written statement difficult to process, and so will a poor opening ,but it does not mean that the work will lack important information, and given that we should all deny ignorance, we should also be prepared to work hard at gleaning every last byte of new data from any given work, no matter the cost in time and mental gymnastic effort.

Even more frustrating to me is when you see this a few responses into the thread:

"There is already a thread on this......." Which is always followed with a link to the other thread.

Although mini modding is a pathetic habit, this particular expression of it can ensure that a member does not waste inordinate amounts of time formulating a response to a thread or post within a thread which may be closed at any given moment, and gives them the oppertunity to post in the thread in which such response belongs, and will be read by other members, rather than being consigned to the closed thread.

Unfortunately, this is a monster of our own creation. Why do we insist of policing each other's threads when there are Mods on hand to take care of such matters? So many people have made the statement "There is already a thread on this" that many members now add "I did a search and did not see a thread on this subject" to every thread just to preempt the thread Nazi's that inevitably show up.

Mistakes happen. I have created threads who's information has been covered in threads by other members. The Mods take care of it and we move on.

I'd rather use my time talking about the topic at hand, then reading about other members who find it necessary to point out the fact that another thread may already exist. Also, I promise to use the search function if you promise not to point out the thread I did not see.

Deal?

Deal!

edit on 20-6-2012 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

I also would rather use my time discussing the issues, but if I am going to do so, I would rather do so in a thread which will remain open for the foreseeable future, than make the effort of compiling a response to be posted in a doomed thread. Very often, I will do an hour or more of research before commenting on a thread ,if I find the subject matter itself interesting enough to warrant such effort. Why should we risk wasting all that time and effort on a thread which will cease to be active?

top topics

join