It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stargate SG1 series box set issues....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I just got the Stargate SG1 complete box set and well half of it doesn't work!

My fiancee got it for me and I read the reviews and noticed many people have the same problem.

Half the discs are scratched due to its packaging and Seasons 8 and 9 barely play, the sound goes in and out on half the discs. There are discs that are not scratched that just skip or stop playing.

These box sets are not cheap and I'm lucky that I have Netflix to watch the episodes that are bad, but not everyone has that option. It's really hard to watch a 10 season show when every other disc has a problem. I can replace the discs individually but that would be like paying double.

Does anyone else have the box set and have the same problems here?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Well, what do you expect when your located on Mars. Delivered by rocket no doubt. All those Gs at take off would scratch anything!

On a serious note, take it back and have it replaced! It is that simple!

P

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I was literally watching SG1 season 1, looked up at my computer and seen your thread.

To answer your question my box set's are in perfect condition.

Where did you buy them as I would take them back.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
Well, what do you expect when your located on Mars. Delivered by rocket no doubt. All those Gs at take off would scratch anything!

On a serious note, take it back and have it replaced! It is that simple!

P

HAHA!!

Taking it back is NOT that simple. It was a gift if you read my OP.

Replacing it will do nothing because it seems its a defect in the box set.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ovadose
I was literally watching SG1 season 1, looked up at my computer and seen your thread.

To answer your question my box set's are in perfect condition.

Where did you buy them as I would take them back.

Synchronicity!
Have you watched the entire box set?

I can't take it back it was purchased via Amazon and they filled it. It was a gift.

I told my fiancee after he purchased it that it had known issues and it's non returnable. I will replace the discs that have issues, it's just that I think MGM should have done something for those who got messed up sets. They are not cheap by any means. I see the SG Atlantis box set is much better and is also on Blu Ray.

I have been keeping track of the messed up discs so I can look or them individually, which is a pain but I do get tired of having to use my laptop to watch it when I prefer to watch it on my TV.

I was just curious how many others have a botched box set.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   
What are you? A mouse? Tell your sweetheart it was faulty and ask her to take it back. What is the problem. If you can't communicate something this simple then your proposed marriage is just not going to work!

P

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
What are you? A mouse? Tell your sweetheart it was faulty and ask her to take it back. What is the problem. If you can't communicate something this simple then your proposed marriage is just not going to work!

P

Seriously lose the tone.

If you actually READ my posts you would already know the answer...ITS NON RETURNABLE! Simple as that!

You are also missing the point of my damn thread...The box set has ISSUES and MGM who made it doesn't seem to care. These are not cheap and many other people have the same problem and dont have the option to watch online or replace the discs that are damaged. Im watching season 9 now and every episode has the sound going in and out.

I am still looking into the box set issues and if there are different release dates or different sets. It could be a certain batch that has the issue and if that is the case then I think MGM should replace those since it is their fault ultimately that the sets are so poorly made. Spending 100-300 bucks on something only to have half of it work isn't fun. I still love the set but I dont love that half the discs dont work.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
SG1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i miss RDA
i have bought one by one each seasons
must have saw at least 20 time each episode

one time i got back to the store because 1 dvd didnt had the correct volume burned into it
and they exchanged it with the correct one from a new package ..had a good service

cant believe you cant return it
this cost a lot
usualy when the disc are new .. they are not scratched
that mean you bought used dvd .. maybe a return
it was repacked like a new with a plastic pellicule

if it was a gift .. then its a used gift
probably very used dvds and he wanted to get rid of it has a gift to you

edit on 6/20/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

It is not used.

MANY people have the same problem. It was manufactured this way.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
nvm just saw they are not scratched .. my eyes of the morning saw otherwise lol

maybe its your dvd player .. some old disc have problem with certain dvd player
edit on 6/20/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
SG1 Box Set issues

There is a review from 2008.

The discs came like that. There are some discs that have deep scratches on them and right now Season 9 episode 10 and 11 are playing right now and there is NO sound.

Many of you seem to miss the point. Returning it does nothing, you are more likely to get the same issues again.

Its like the time I read the seventh season of Buffy in book form and it was completely messed up with grammar, spelling and even cutting off of paragraphs and various other issues. They obviously didn't read it before it went to print. I called the manufacturer who said to take it back where I bought it but again they missed the point because Barnes and Noble didnt make it they just sold it, the company I called manufactured it and buying another one just had the same issues. I re-read the book and marked all errors with a red pen and sent it to the company who produced it. Of course I never heard back from them lol

I am not the only person with this issue and I feel MGM and whoever they contracted to make the box set should rectify the problem for those who have this issue. I shouldn't have almost an entire season with no sound. I looked at purchasing each season individually but that is more than what was paid for the set. I can however replace discs but it is difficult to find them online and some tend to get expensive. I will probably just get the discs from Netflix and copy those if I can't find the ones for sale that are damaged.

Again I love the box set just not the crappy craftsmanship of it. I have had many other box sets and this by far was the worse. It surprises me since SG1 was such a popular show and went on for 10 seasons. I would have thought they would have done a better job.

Just google "SG1 Box Set issues" or go to Amazon and read reviews on it.

I posted this to see who else has had the same issues with the box set not individually purchased seasons.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

No, it is not returnable, but it is replaceable, You send your broken set and they send you replacement set.

My SG-1 came fine, but I did not purchase collector set, but rather single seasons as I was watching them. Same for SG-A and SG-U.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by SuperFrog

No, it is not returnable, but it is replaceable, You send your broken set and they send you replacement set.

Who will MGM? Cause getting another set means I'll probably have the same problems or worse. I read some people got season 5 twice in their box set. I haven't found anything where MGM stated they'd replace the damaged ones with new ones.

My SG-1 came fine, but I did not purchase collector set, but rather single seasons as I was watching them. Same for SG-A and SG-U.

Well that is great but my issue is with the collectors set. I didn't buy this my fiancee did and he is overseas. He asked which one I'd prefer and I said SG1. I will get Atlantis' box set next. I never could get into SGU. I tried a few times but it didn't keep my attention. If it's cheap I'll probably wind up getting it anyways so I have the complete Stargate set

My question is for people who have the collectors set and have watched the entire set already. From what I have been reading the problems vary from set to set. Some have issues in other seasons and some were missing actual discs! I wonder who they contracted out to manufacture these sets because they did a horrible job!

I will probably end up buying the seasons individually if I can't get the discs replaced that are defective. FYE music has a buy 2 get 1 free sale almost every month, if they have the seasons I need replaced I'll probably go that route since while hunting this morning and afternoon for the individual discs I came up with only finding 2 out of the dozen + that I need replaced. It's just I shouldn't have to replace anything esp since they produced a defective product.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
I hope this was a one-time error (and I'm certainly going to be returning my copy of this set), but almost every single disc in the collection came through dirty, scratched, or both. Not all of them are unplayable, but I was "lucky" enough to discover that the very first one of them I attempted to play was indeed unplayable. Maybe it's because of the packaging, which is a bunch of cardboard sleeves that don't provide any safety to the disc whatever.

The set itself is exciting -- but no DVD is exciting if you can't play it. (And I tried four different DVD players, computer and standalone.)

ETA: My replacement copy is much, much better. Every disc I've looked at has been in perfect condition, and the unplayable disc from the first time around is just fine this time. Thanks to Amazon for a swift and painless replacement!

just sayin...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Good luck to both of you...

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Have you treid to contact them?

shop.mgm.com...

Of course if your friend purchased it from another store,i don't know if MGM will replace it,but you can always try.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Nope. All of mine worked just fine.

And My box had a great replica of the Stargate on it.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
WOOHOO!

21st Century Fox actually responded to my email since they are the ones I found out who made it. They said they will give me a new set but it will take 3-4 weeks to get it and it's at no charge to me. I was really surprised they responded! I guess I'm not the only one who has contacted them in this regard.

It is no guarantee that the new set won't have the same issues but it's worth a shot! Only thing is I'll be without Dr. Jackson for a month :O I guess I can start on Stargate Atlantis on Blu Ray
I did find the Blu Ray to be without defect from further research, the regular DVD set however has the same issues as SG1.

So yay, persistance paid off! I wasn't about to let this one go esp with the cost of replacing discs being more than what the box set cost!

So if you have a set and have these issues let me know and I"ll link the email address I used. You have to send it back to Fox though to receive a new one.

posted on Jun, 27 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Nice

very happy for you mblah
it will worth the 2-3 weeks of wait

Did you watch Stargate Universe ?
edit on 6/27/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join