It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Part 2 - My opinion on UFOs as a research scientist

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Hi everybody, thanks for the interest in my previous thread. Sorry about not being able to reply much, I just got back from PA where I was with family for a week. I just read all of the replies to my thread and I am delighted to see the interest! I’ll just try to address a few of the common points here.

My article was my opinion, not a statement of absolute fact by an arrogant super-genius PhD in cell biology, which seems to have been the interpretation by a few. The point of my article was that not all scientists think the UFO phenomenon is garbage. I am not claiming to have proof, as so many seem to have understood. I am not a UFO researcher, and I am not an authority. I am just a scientist who likes to read books on the subject. I didn’t come here to change peoples’ minds or present some massive manifesto proving ET. I have never seen a UFO, but I would love to. At this point I’m mostly convinced some UFOs are ET, but I would have to see a clearly extraterrestrial UFO with my own eyes to be totally convinced of the phenomenon. My statement that 99% of sightings are not legitimate ET was meant to convey my conservative stance on things. How the hell would I know the exact percent?

Many people seem to have been mad at me for some reason. One guy actually googled my post for some reason and found it on a news story comment section, where I had begun to write in response to the typical media treatment it receives. Apparently this was a bad thing that I did that. People questioned my credentials (go to my profile for a link), they accused me of being a troll, some even said I was a government disinformation person or something. I can’t say I am surprised (it is a conspiracy site after all), but it was disappointing to see so much disregard for the sense of decorum that is supposed to be one of the cornerstones of ATS. It seems that some were even angry that a scientist is interested in this. I don’t know really what I say to those things. It upset me, but maybe my skin will be tougher now.

Concerning other UFO explanations. I should have mentioned that I don’t discount interdimensional (both spatial and temporal dimensions). I just tend to go with the outer space thing since at this point we haven’t found more dimensions. For the Jungian/collective consciousness and Vallee’s take, I am open to it as well. For the military stuff: I think that a lot of sightings are military. Lots. But it is my opinion that some of the behaviors exhibited by UFOs (over 100g accelerations, right angle turns/sudden reversals at large speeds) are too far ahead of us. I could be wrong.

I read lots of Roswell books, believe me. There were always so many holes and questions it left me with. Then I read Pflock’s book, and boom. It just made absolute sense. I imagine I will catch holy hell on this one.
For abductions, I read Jacobs, Mack, Communion, and read about others in general books and websites. There are a lot of abduction reports. They conform to a pretty much consistent narrative. I am totally open to this, but it is so fantastic that I tend to just leave it there without conclusion. I really wish there was video. I tend to lend more credence to the non-bedroom reports. My personal favorite is the Allegash case.

For my favorite sightings, I would start with the famous cases (which I am sure have been discussed on ATS more than anywhere in the world). The JAL case, the Iranian 1976 case, the Coyne helicopter incident, some of the nuclear intrusions. Then there are a ton from back in the 40’s and 50’s with multiple observer radar/visual pilot cases that I would have to dig up (they are summarized in Dolan’s books).

That’s all I have time for because now I have to go swimming because I got my damn gut back from eating and drinking excessively for a week. I don’t get on ATS much usually, but I will try this time. And I will figure out how to get the quote I am replying to into any of my replies (newbie). Again, great to hear the responses!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
I, for one, am very glad that you take the time to post here. I find myself in almost wholehearted agreement with your assessment of the UFO phenomenon. I am very happy that you decided to post more! Looking forward to your opinions on this and other topics.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
as far as "interdimensional" ---- I have to consider that any 'warp drive' (graviational metric engineering) must intrinsically cause strange optical effects.

Things might look like they are appearing/disappearing or splitting into multiple pieces (multipath optics) but this could be an illusion of advanced metric engineering. The 'glowing' of discs could be a consequence of some physical effect (spontaneous pair production photon emission from strong metric gradients?)

So even a 100% materialist technological explanation (as I always lean towards, ET or not) may appear to be stranger than people's ordinary experiences.

edit on 19-6-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2012 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Yes i googled you post doc

Prove you are who you say you are then continue with your post

till then you are a troll for me

show us your laurels and credentials

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by IMSAM
Yes i googled you post doc

show us your laurels and credentials

There. The fact that you were dead wrong speaks to your reasoning abilities. Nobody else had a problem with this. Now, go ahead and get a life.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Dont know what they taught you and if anything but they sure didnt teach you manners.I suggest you go and learn some manners and then post here.

Need I say any more?

It's better to be the example before telling others what they should do. "Do as I say, not as I do" uh?

Anyway, it's good to see that serious scientists are genuinely interested and investigating in the field of ufology. Not that I doubted about it, but rather reassuring, in a way, to see another one.

Grats to the OP and starred.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
Great post OP. I wish more people had an open mind like you. Pay no attention to the chronic debunkers. They only fear the truth. Keep up the good work.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpookyVince

Need I say any more?

It's better to be the example before telling others what they should do. "Do as I say, not as I do" uh?

Anyway, it's good to see that serious scientists are genuinely interested and investigating in the field of ufology. Not that I doubted about it, but rather reassuring, in a way, to see another one.

Grats to the OP and starred.

yep its the first time a scientist meddles in ufo research.You must be new aintcha?What about vallee,friedman,macabee?missed that did you?

Gj imsam on making him prove who he is.Its not the first time we get a troll in here.At least now we know op is who he says he is.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by PHDIKOULAS
yep its the first time a scientist meddles in ufo research.You must be new aintcha?What about vallee,friedman,macabee?missed that did you?

I suggest you read again what I wrote:

Originally posted by SpookyVince

Alternatively to calling me a newbie, you could also have a look in my profile, threads, post.

Anytime buddy.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SpookyVince

If you want to accept the claims of someone on the internet at face value be my guest

I d like some evidence before i accept anyone who says he s a phd doctor etc

In which case he provided.

Would you believe me if i told you i m the head of the cia posting in these forums?

Dont expect me to believe who op says he is.Thats why i asked for proof.No point in debating with someone if he turns out to be a troll in the end

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandelay Industries

Thanks for posting again, and try not to let the trolls wind you up. Because this site is so big it attracts some of the worst types, but there's obviously a lot of decent people here too.

And there's obviously some people around that would prefer scientists didn't post here, mainly because they fear this field getting more respect and the attention it deserves. Hopefully you can ignore those trolls too.

Googling "Operation Earnest Voice" and having a quick read around might help you start figuring some of the madness out when it comes to strange and stupid responses.
edit on 20-6-2012 by robhines because: added

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
so tell me OP why does you being a biology researcher give weight to the idea that alien lifeforms visit our planet?

i can well understand if you said you strongly believe that alien life exists somewhere, because you know life exists in the harshest places on this planet and we have found evidence of the building blocks to exist in comets. i just don't see how having a pHD makes you more of an authority, when your area of study is not alien life.

though in general i'm not sure how any scientist would be an expert. given the fact that we have barely anything that would support aliens over "i don't know" at this point. the only really good evidence would be what most ET believers seem to find out of the question, bodies, ships, and generic evidence. what we do have is 99% hoaxes/frauds/mistakes and the last 1% is unknowns

so my question is, why do you figure it is ET and not just malfunctioning equipment, a mistake or some other mundane explanation when it comes to the 1% that can't be quickly dismissed?

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:35 AM
link   

reply to post by SpookyVince
If you want to accept the claims of someone on the internet at face value be my guest

It's not about accepting anything, it's about reading what the guy writes and how he writes it.

I d like some evidence before i accept anyone who says he s a phd doctor etc

Another adept of "I didn't see it, therefore it doesn't exist". Oh great.

In which case he provided.

He did, and honestly he was wrong to do it. Firstly because there was absolutely no reason why he would have had to do it, secondly because you incited him to break his privacy.

Anyway, it could also be a faked document, which is easy to produce. We're on a conspiracy related website, you should know that.

Would you believe me if i told you i m the head of the cia posting in these forums?

No. I just had to read a few posts from you to understand that you have no chance to be in the CIA (except, who knows, in their hitlist).

Dont expect me to believe who op says he is.Thats why i asked for proof.No point in debating with someone if he turns out to be a troll in the end

I want a proof that you are not a troll yourself.

I suppose we should stop here about this, if you have other comments or remarks about me or my posts or my opinions, let's not pollute the forum with these flames, please send me a U2U and I'll happily answer.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Please keep posting, don't let a few debbie downers keep you from stating your opinion.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   

ATS is not merely a "conspiracy" site - you seem quite defensive. There is, however, a high level of quality examination and scrutiny invested in posts such as yours. Perhaps that caught you out.

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Relax OP.If you come to ats expect someone to ask you for credentials.Its not the first time we get trolls here.Its good to know you are not one of them.Dont get angry when members ask you for evidence

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandelay Industries
There. The fact that you were dead wrong speaks to your reasoning abilities. Nobody else had a problem with this. Now, go ahead and get a life.

You mad doc?

You sound upset

Dont know what they taught you and if anything but they sure didnt teach you manners.I suggest you go and learn some manners and then post here.

Only those who dont do anything dont make mistakes,The fact i made a mistake,in your opinion, dosent say anything about my reasoning abilities.IT does speak volumes about you

Yes, I was very angry. So I felt that my reply returned the same level of manners that you showed me. Now I am over it, as it seems you are too.

So let's all get back to talking about our favorite subject: UFOs!

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

That's very unfortunate, Doctor. I have been in a faculty of Philosophy my entire degree and until I graduated in that department. If anything, the opinion of philosophers r ;professors; in the field of Religion, should not be taken into account.

You can twist the words and make all shapes of the expressions, you may say one thing in ten different ways but you still end being at the same place, nowhere. Waste of words and time. Well, you are expressing an opinion, there is nothing wrong in that,

Just an opinion that no one cares about, indeed.
edit on 20-6-2012 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join