It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Enthusiast Needed!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Hey ATS.

I am thinking about buying a new rifle. I want an AR-15 style assault rifle, but one that chambers a 7.62x39 ("ak bullet").

I have owned a 5.56 Bushmaster super light, which I loved. And also a 6.8mm SPC Bushmaster, which I loved but couldn't afford to shoot...

I was looking at buying another Bushmaster (although I heard Remington bought them?) or MAYBE a rock river?

I was wondering if anybody had experience with a 7.62 rifle in a AR-15 style platform OR if anybody owns a rock river assault rifle that they can speak to? Thanks!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I had a RRA. It was a great gun if I were to purchase another AR-15 type gun I would go through them. Never had an issue with well over 5000 round through it in all conditions.

On a side note I really really like the SIG556 set ups. You really didn't say why you were wanting to do the other round but they do have a SIG716 that is really nice as well.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
haven't heard much about the 7.62x38 ARs........I beleive they are somewhat hard to find.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
You might look at the AR-10s. They shoot a .308 Winchester/7.62x51mm NATO caliber round. They are big and heavy, not exactly like the AR-15s.

Such as: Cheaper Than Dirt

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This is not an AR, but similar in some respects :

Clicky

It was a very smooth rifle to shoot.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Go for a SKS. 7.62x39, AR-15 sized and plenty of parts available.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I love the 7.62x39 round but haven't had much experience with it in an AR platform. The reviews and articles I have read do not speak greatly of the 7.62 caliber in the AR platform. Most common reasons are reliability of 7.62 AR is not up to snuff with AK's and their variants, accuracy of the round is lesser than the 5.56 round from the AR and no better than the AK. So considering a loss in reliability along with no gain in accuracy and the additional cost of an Ar vs AK, it just doesn't make sense to go in that direction when their are better options out there.

I own Ak's in 7.62 and AR's in 5.56/.223, I love them both for individual reasons but prefer to keep with what works rather than rely on some of the hybrids out there. The only thing that would make me say hell yeah go with the AR 7.62 is if you are able to get a piston vs. gas system and I only know of two manufacturer's making that rifle and it's expensive as all get up.

At the end of the day go with what makes you happy but trust me, you will be happy with an AK if you don't have one already.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
AR 10 s are not reliable. If you want one in a 308 caliber get a FAL.

308 cal is not a 7.62x39. It's 7.62 x51.

Rock river, bushmaster, and until recently, del ton. Made 7.62x39 conversion uppers. But sometimes that round can be unreliable in the AR platform. I actualy am looking for one my self and since I have a delton ar15 I wanted a 7.62x39 upper for it but they discontinued it, I will probably go with bushmaster

I have a 50cal Beowulf conversion and it hits hard!! But you can only have 10 rounds in a 30 round AR clip

I recently got a ar10 lower from CMMG that used very inexpensive HK G3 mags. But after 2 years of trying to get it to work CMMG finaly exchanged the lower assembly for one that uses lr308 mags and CMMG discontinued the G3 mag lower

I was told by a very good gunsmith to stay away from anything from Olympic arms company, and did some searches online and found a few people have had problems with there rifles

Be safe

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRealTruth84

I agree %100!!! You can't beat an AKs reliability with the 7.62x39 round!! An AR useing it may have problems due to the modifications useing a clip taylored to the 7.62 round in the ar15 platform

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Yeah I looked at the AR10.... That round is only for big boys though lol. A .308 unless I'm bear hunting in Alaska doesn't make for a fun day.

I want to get the 7.62 because in my state you have to have bigger than .223 to hunt. I wanted to save money and buy a tactical rifle that I wanted, but could hunt with if it came up.... Throw in the 5 round mag (i think)
edit on 19-6-2012 by KnawLick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by KnawLick

What are you planning on hunting?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by KnawLick

This is the beautiful thing about the AR plaatform, as you said, you had the 5.56 and the 6.8 platforms.
If you have a lower, you can get an upper chambered for many calibers on the AR 15 frame.
I saw a 7.62x39 upper at a gun show a while back.
Just get a lower and several uppers to fit the flavor of the day is what I'd do if I were in a position to do so.

1 gun for everything from plinking,target shooting, combat, hunting.
The only drawback I can think of is maybe having to swap out some springs if you are picky.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I like the interchangeability of the AR platform. I have one AR lower assembly and with different uppers I can shoot different calibers.
what I have now is;
223/556
9mm Luger
45 ACP
50 cal Beowulf

All useing the same lower

Reliability is sometimes in question useing the other calibers due to adapters for the magazines but i like the fact that the AR platform is like a Lego set, you can mix and match and the only thing I had to register was the origanal AR lower.

Zombie apocalypse ......... Bring it on!!

edit on 19-6-2012 by viperdave because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2012 by viperdave because: Added content

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
As a US Marine and combat vet who has used both 5.56(M-4) and 7.62(AK) in combat I will tell you this, I own an AK. I prefer it over the AR platform. The only disadvantages I have with it are, slower mag changes, and no ambidextrous safety. Other than that I would take an AK into combat over an AR any day. They are more durable and shoot a larger round.

I am not familiar with the AR-10s that shoot 7.62x39 or 7.62x51, but I have heard they have issues on the lower quality/price models. My AK platform is not all that different than a ARs as well. I have the same collapsing buttstock and rails on the handguards. There are many accesories available for the AK these days as their popularity is increasing.

From my experience the 7.62x39 round is much better than the 5.56 round no matter what your platform is. More stopping power and when it comes to life and death that can and will make the difference. In my opinion of course.

new topics

top topics

join