It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Documentary about rape in the US military changes government policy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Documentary about rape in the US military changes government policy

www.guardian.co.uk

A high-profile documentary about rape in the US military has helped move the secretary of defence, Leon Panetta, to change a much-maligned policy which critics say helps to protect attackers.

is not due to arrive in cinemas elsewhere in the US until Friday 22 June. Even so, the film-makers have embarked on a determined effort to screen the movie for members of Congress and staff at the department of defence and the Pentagon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Trailers

For men, combat experience is the leading cause of PTSD. For women, it's sexual assault. This is the real 'war on women'
The Service Women's Action Network notes that rape is always under-reported, and that a military context offers additional hurdles to rape victims

The DoD estimates that in 2010 alone, over 19,000 sexual assaults occurred in the military.

www.guardian.co.uk...
The above is a very sad statement and I considered it very poignant when I read it

But while the above makes me sad the below only makes me question.
I'm thinking I shouldn't only say "wow they don't care" instead question it like hmmm.... what purpose would this route serve?
See below:

"Prosecution rates for sexual predators are astoundingly low," they note. In 2011, "officials received 3,192 sexual assault reports. But only 1,518 of those reports led to referrals for possible disciplinary action, and only 191 military members were convicted at courts martial."

The Department of Defense, they further record, does not keep any kind of military sex offender registry that could potentially alert soldiers

So the process is extremely flawed
Now with the number of MST(Military Sexual Trauma) incidents and the flawed process you must now consider the below:

Many of these stories involved a culture of male soldiers attacking women in the desert by ganging up at an outhouse with other men, or by assaulting a woman when she had stepped into the field to relieve herself. The fact that so many women veterans independently described these dangers suggests how systemic, and also how necessarily well-known to commanders, such risks must have become.

Now keep in mind
I've never been in war, so many of you readers will be thinking "Man what is this dude talking about, he must know nothing of war"
I understand that, i've never even been at a firing range, i've only played call of duty lol and of course that's nothing.

But it's not just the systematic way of doing it, it's also what looks like a deliberate flawed process that has lasted HOW LONG?????

So I know many will be offended by what is being suggest, but all I'm doing is asking questions that's all.
I'm sure the women in service at least deserve it right?

What could they gain by it being like this?'
I have no idea, that's why I made the thread

www.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Rape is deplorable and there is ZERO excuse for it.... But.....

Why anybody thinks its a good idea to put women in a position around young, testosterone fueled men is beyond me..

Women shouldn't be servicing in the military outside of nursing. (although I do respect those that are)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by KnawLick

Why anybody thinks its a good idea to put women in a position around young, testosterone fueled men is beyond me..

Women shouldn't be servicing in the military outside of nursing. (although I do respect those that are)

That's really sexist and wrong. You are blaming the women for being around testosterone filled men for being raped?

That's a huge cop out and you should be ashamed of having those beliefs. There's no reason women can't perform just as well, if not better than men in the military and they should be given the same ammount of respect and dignity as those men in the military.

As for the topic, thank god these women are suing the government and made this documentary to help the thousands of other women in the military who have these problems.

With a suicide a day now for military service men/women and this rape issue, it's no wonder our troops are loosing their minds at home and abroad.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Who made you the purveyor of morality?

I think women are societies biggest asset. The loss of 1 mother to war is unacceptable. Men on the other hand were made for war. It's in our blood.

I'd say you sir are the sexist one. Willing to send our beautiful young women off to war.... for what?!

You notion of political correctness?!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by KnawLick

Your respect is disingenuous and your perception and apparent acceptance of stereotypes sucks ass...

OP:

Thanks for bringing this forward, and I hope TPTB take note as well as action...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

My first star and flag for you in, like.... EVER!
(Just kidding).

It's great that this is being exposed and talked about. I hope it does some good.

I'd say you sir are the sexist one. Willing to send our beautiful young women off to war.... for what?!

What gives men the authority to decide that women shouldn't be free to serve their country? Shouldn't that be up to the women?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by facelift

I was unaware that you were able to read my mind....

I grew up in a military family. Have nothing but the UTMOST respect for every service men and women.

I don't know why you resort to name calling and labeling me a "sexist" rather than engaging in a debate...

Which I'm happy to do.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

That's really sexist and wrong. You are blaming the women for being around testosterone filled men for being raped?

That's a huge cop out and you should be ashamed of having those beliefs. There's no reason women can't perform just as well, if not better than men in the military and they should be given the same ammount of respect and dignity as those men in the military.

As for the topic, thank god these women are suing the government and made this documentary to help the thousands of other women in the military who have these problems.

With a suicide a day now for military service men/women and this rape issue, it's no wonder our troops are loosing their minds at home and abroad.

~Tenth

Exactly! Also, if I am not mistaken, a lot of these rapes were done by Blackwater.....XE, and now they have a new damn name, and everything was covered up, while the women (victims) were silenced and booted out of the military or fired from their contracting jobs with Blackwater!

I know there are some damn good men in our military, and it would really sicken me to find out they turned a blind eye if they knew this was happening! Don't we all hope that if our soldiers are given orders to attack it's own citizens that they would refuse them? This is the kind of stuff that makes me wonder..........Oh well, now my anxiety is kicking in, and I must go buy a few more boxes of ammo...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

I think women are societies biggest asset. The loss of 1 mother to war is unacceptable. Men on the other hand were made for war. It's in our blood.

I am not a purveyor of morality, however I am firmly against gender roles from the 1950's. War is not in Men's blood, you have that notion because men have been sent to war for thousands of years by oligarchs and kings who fought amongst themselves.

The choice should be left to women not men as to what they can and cannot do with themselves, you don't have the right to say that women should not be at war, that's their call to make not yours.

Sure you have the right to your opinion, but they are sexist, because you believe that somehow, men are better suited at something that women are, when the reality is, biologically and factually, that women can do these things, just as well if not better.

We should not be sending anybody to war. I was more upset with your comment that it's somehow the women's fault that they are being raped cause they are around a bunch of men hyped up on testosterone. That's the sexist part of your post honestly. And it's damn shamefull that you would think that.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The more exposure the better - silence does nothing but reinforce the status quo.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

My first star and flag for you in, like.... EVER!
(Just kidding).

It's great that this is being exposed and talked about. I hope it does some good.

What gives men the authority to decide that women shouldn't be free to serve their country? Shouldn't that be up to the women?

Because War is Man's endeavor. Therefore we set the rules....

You wouldn't tell a women when and where to have an abortion would you? No, because thats a women's realm of responsibility.

I feel war is solely a masculine exercise. I don't want women hurt in the process. You free to disagree, I'd love to debate it...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

...and if there are no women in their forces around them..then what? It's ok and understandable if they rape the foreign women ?

Men need to learn how to control their urges,(they can always masturbate if they absolutely have to). Anyone who uses the excuse of testosterone filled men to justify rape, is just as guilty as the rapists.

Also any man who idly watches, and doesn't report, isn't much better as well(though many probably know it won't help, and they will end up getting harassed because of it) .I watched a program on TV about this just recently, and it was appalling how it was covered up and pushed aside in the military.How horrible it was for these women, and some weren't even allowed to transfer out of their units.

This is one example of why I refuse to give respect to someone just because they wear a uniform.
edit on 19-6-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

edit on 19-6-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:38 PM
link   

So a women can carry a 100 pound pack, navigate courses, carry heavy weaponry and see people blown up in front of them just as well as men?

I hope to never meet the women you associate with sir...

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

So a women can carry a 100 pound pack, navigate courses, carry heavy weaponry and see people blown up in front of them just as well as men?

I hope to never meet the women you associate with sir...

Yes the fact that you dont' think those women exist, in great numbers all around the world, makes you a sexist sir.

That's just the plain and simple truth.

~Tenth

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Ummmm, the women are WANTING to go and serve their country!! No one is forcing them! They are volunteering, so why don't you ask them why they want to serve their country????

Sounds to me like you are making excuses for the criminals that can't be a real men, and decide that the women are there for their sexual pleasure?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Thats fine. You can label me with all your silly little cliques. I will wear them as a badge of honor...

....As you send your women off to be slaughter in distant lands for no reason

And mine are safe at home, happy.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
A real man is a man. A rapist is an animal. no excuse for rape its as simple as that. Rape is despicable to the highest degree. Completely avoidable Completely. Testosterone is not an excuse, It makes you super confident and super horny but not super stupid.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

Ummmm, the women are WANTING to go and serve their country!! No one is forcing them! They are volunteering, so why don't you ask them why they want to serve their country????

Sounds to me like you are making excuses for the criminals that can't be a real men, and decide that the women are there for their sexual pleasure?

And they have ever right to do so. I never said purge the military of women... I said I PERSONALLY don't believe women should be serving but in select roles. I'm not king though, they can do whatever they want...

And because I don't agree with your position you accuse me of sticking up for rapists?! lol. How quickly we fall into name calling.... How about you actually read what I wrote rather than accuse me of disgusting things....

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

And they have ever right to do so. I never said purge the military of women... I said I PERSONALLY don't believe women should be serving but in select roles. I'm not king though, they can do whatever they want...

And because I don't agree with your position you accuse me of sticking up for rapists?! lol. How quickly we fall into name calling.... How about you actually read what I wrote rather than accuse me of disgusting things....

I was bringing to your attention your failed logic! Instead of addressing the wrongness of men who feel they have a right to rape a woman at their whim. You turned it around towards addressing why the women were there in the first place??

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join