It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientist creates lifelike cells out of metal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Scientists trying to create artificial life generally work under the assumption that life must be carbon-based, but what if a living thing could be made from another element? One British researcher may have proven that theory, potentially rewriting the book of life.

Lee Cronin of the University of Glasgow has created lifelike cells from metal — a feat few believed feasible. The discovery opens the door to the possibility that there may be life forms in the universe not based on carbon, reports New Scientist.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I found this interesting. These things might be evolving. They are doing further tests by placing them in different environments. It opens a multitude of possibilities. Does this mean that maybe there are metal bases life forms in our universe. I guess it might. I always thought it was a bit closed minded of us to think life had to be bases on carbon.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

Proper Linkypoo

Funny little video there too, interesting.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
I had heard of silicon based life forms having been possible or lab created already. That's an interesting thought when you consider the Earth and Moon silicon content, and then the assumed universal content as well.

Metal life forms give a lot of credence to the future of nanotech, as evolving them to fit desired goals would be child's play.

I'm pretty sure this is going to occupy my mind for weeks every time I read a science, health, or technology article. How could metalife nanotech solve this problem, and how easy would it be?

The team has also made bubbles within bubbles (see images), creating compartments that mimic the internal structure of biological cells. Better yet, they have started imbuing the iCHELLs with the equipment for photosynthesis by linking some oxide molecules to light-sensitive dyes. Cronin says early results suggest he can create a membrane that splits water into hydrogen ions, electrons and oxygen when illuminated – the initial step of photosynthesis.

Next it will be:

We are what we eat, and so are metal nano-cells. Scientists today created a metal nanocell that self replicates by feeding on metallic compounds in a breakthrough that has rocked the world.

edit on 19-6-2012 by JDINFOWARRIOR because:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   

Living metal? This is going to lead to a robot apocalypse......I just know it!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
This makes the Transformers that much closer to reality!

Now where do we find the allspark?

-

Seriously though, it is a step in the right direction. The possibilities of life in this universe are better odds than winning the lottery.

We have done a great job at stripping down and understanding physical limitations of the universe, but I do believe we have a long way to go.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Metal based lifeforms eh? Remember the Arecibo message and the crop formation?

www.cropcircleresearch.com...

The reply has silicon added (a metaloid), suggesting they are silicon based. This meshes well with what some people say about "the greys" being machines.

This is nice news anyway. Life is capable of existing in many more ways than we're prepared to admit. Now, bring on the sentient android babes.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
I love how scientists assume that the only possibilities are what's here on Earth. No duh, things can be vastly different. I mean, look at the size of the visible universe and all those stars and possible planets and life. I guarantee that a) there is extraterrestrial life out there and b) it's not all carbon based like us. I may not be proven right in my lifetime, but I WILL be proven right. I promise you that.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by CrashUnderride

I agree there our endless possibilities of what life could be made from.. Maybe you get beings that are not even made of matter. I cannot see why something could not be just made from light for example.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Scientists trying to create artificial life generally work under the assumption that life must be carbon-based, but what if a living thing could be made from another element? One British researcher may have proven that theory, potentially rewriting the book of life.

Lee Cronin of the University of Glasgow has created lifelike cells from metal — a feat few believed feasible. The discovery opens the door to the possibility that there may be life forms in the universe not based on carbon, reports New Scientist.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I found this interesting. These things might be evolving. They are doing further tests by placing them in different environments. It opens a multitude of possibilities. Does this mean that maybe there are metal bases life forms in our universe. I guess it might. I always thought it was a bit closed minded of us to think life had to be bases on carbon.

It'd be amazing if they could create lifelike brain cells in people who watch the whorporate media.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
While the potential breakthroughs are interesting I cannot help but remember the replicators from Stargate:SG1

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Every time i see a cop now im going to be paranoid its T-1000

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by dorkfish87
While the potential breakthroughs are interesting I cannot help but remember the replicators from Stargate:SG1

I was thinking more of the liquid metal terminator.....

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Yeah that would scare me too.

For me this sounded a lot like stargate though. Self replicating metallic organisms? No thanks. They wouldn't die as quickly and would grow too fast for us to control. And would only be a matter of time before they became aware of it

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
One thing I still cant work out way people say that its impossible to travel distant galaxys etc.

Have they ever thought these other places may have some form for natural element/'s that allows this technology to work in which we dont have access to here?

or more to this threads workings, Life been based on some element unknown to us

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
This information is a year old, are there any updates to it?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

yes but the updates are classified..

The universe is one big science experiment..... the only rules are there are no rules...... what can be done can be done...... but expect consequences for every action...

new topics

top topics

join