It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you have this problem? I do. Prepping for doomsday... in an apartment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   
I am a believer in many general conspiracies (not that I believe FOR SURE they will happen, but I believe they are ALL possibilities, and it would be irresponsible not to prep for such catastrophic possibilities). But just as well, I also believe, even without the paranoid mindset of a conspiracy theorist, there are other things to prep for, like other emergencies and natural disasters.

Last night, I spent about two hours typing a ten page pamphlet for our household (apt), regarding five major scenarios (natural disasters, WW3, martial law, rioters & civil unrest/economic collapse, and pandemic) and what to do if any of them occur, and a list of specific ways to survive inside of an apartment for days at a time. i obtained the list from survivaljoe.net...

I have a few ideas, one being planting window gardens in every window in order to make herbs and food. Problem is, We don't have much room to store things you have to freeze or dehydrate yet. We need a deep freezer (that's why most of the things I have saved up is ramen and canned stuff).

Another is learning how to seal off the apt from the rest of the building, meaning shielding the windows and barracading the doors.

But, that's generally all I got as far as surviving in an apt. If any of you have any suggestions, or share the same problems, what do you suggest ATS?

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
your gonna want to think about planning to leave areas like that, to get to somewhere uninhabited where you can plant seeds and survive safely. I would think about smaller gear you would need and pretty much make a cache out side of the city, buried no one would know where it is except you. seeds can also be buried for awhile. for food in your house in this situation though check out sprouts, you get them as seeds and they will 'sprout' in 2-3 days and are very high in nutrition..... my opinion you would need to get out of an apartment really quick should anything like that happen cause a disaster = high probability of collapse, civil unrest = looting

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by XxNightAngelusxX

Hi there, I hope you are feeling better.

First off, you might ask the mods to move your thread to the Survival forum, instead of General Conspiracies. You will probably get better results from the folks in Survival.

Secondly, I personally would not prep for staying more than 24 hours in my apartment in a disaster situation. I'd prep my vehicle instead, and pick out a location -or multiple locations- that I would try and get to, if possible. I know travel could be dangerous depending on the type of disaster, but I'd pick travel over shelter in place.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
Most importantly...Don't make your stand in an apartment.

Have a BOB ready and be ready to get to the outskirts of town/city where you have room to move and make decisions. If you lock yourself into an apartment you might very well be sealing your coffin.

Plan your route to the outskirts with stops along the way for extra goods and equipment. Just make a map and a note of where to stop to get the items and don't sway off the plan.

Window gardens are very nice and cozy in times of peace and a great source of ingredients for the home cook but don't forget the other apartments around you that are looking into your apartment with binoculars and telescopes in search of food. A green window stands out against a gray landscape like a sore thumb.

Peace

edit on 19-6-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

*******EASY MODE********

prepare for a zombie attack, and you will be ready for most other disaster possibilities.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I would not be putting together a survival guide for your apartment.

Stop.

You are potentially putting a very big target on your head by single handedly gearing up multiple people (you are terrorist now, kidding aside).

The first rule of fight club is you do not talk about fight club.

I know its a cliche movie quote but OH MY GOD... do not tell anyone you are gearing up for survival.

If there is an earthquake or a tornado you should be the judge of whom gets supplies not random person X. I really hope you didn't already send out the memo to the other apartment occupants.

If you did... I hope you have enough for everyone because people in general are lazy and won't do anything. Once a flood, earthquake or tornado hits... they will be at your door.

Loose lips sink ships.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Wither you say or go can be a tough call, if everyone else is leaving at the same time then traffic jams are likely. If your walls are made of plaster board then don't put too much energy into the door. If someone really wants to get they can just go through the walls. The most important resource is water, you can go a couple of months without eating but a couple of days without drinking and you are in a serious situation.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Actually you're wrong in two area's.

3 rule

3 minutes without air
3 days without water
3 weeks without food

Second area you're wrong.

Most household and apartments have water heaters. Typically 40 gallons worth of fresh water. Water will not be hard to find, at first.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by litterbaux

The environmental conditions make a big difference, if it is cold water will not be as much of a problem. If it is hot you will be lucky to last a day. Guidelines are great, but be aware there are many factors that can turn the situation around and complicate matters.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies guys.

I haven't told everyone in my apt building, of course not. Only my roommates, who share MY apt. They are aware of the dangers and possibilities, and they know to keep their mouths shut. This plan is for residents only. There's a bit more I haven't exactly informed them about yet anyway...

But, the reason I believe this apartment would be ideal for survival is because it's on a big hill, safe from floods, but it's not on the top of the hill, so generally, safe from tornadoes too. The building is a bit old, and was once military housing, and you can't even get thumbtacks into the walls, they're so thick.

I understand why everyone is saying to move out or make a plan for heading to the country side, but we haven't got the money to be moving yet. It would take a good couple of years before we could. As for planning bug-out routes to other locations, just as a quick get-away during a SHTF scenario, that's covered.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Gangs of looters would take all you have.
you would need gun posts at the top on two corners.

only safe way is hide in the countryside.
and the only way to eat too.

I live in a town. I have a tunnel den built.
and sealed boxes with food & water in.
buried and are well hidden.

I would wait out the worst of it.
then at night sneak out.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   

I would have to agree that long-term prepping in such a limited space would not be a good idea, not for a seige style stay-in.

Best bet would be maybe two, three weeks worth of food and supplies, as leaving when everyone else does and making for the hills would strand you and make you a target.

Perhaps some off-site storage would be better advised, maybe a friend of family member's place with a bit more room to spare for storage may be the go. I know you run the risk of theft, even by the people whose properties you are storing food on, but such a small space is generally hard to defend and easily overrun.

Also, don't be afraid to get your neighbours involved. Any disaster scenario is better handled with many hands at it, and you have a backup in case your own plans go awry.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
Gangs of looters would take all you have.
you would need gun posts at the top on two corners.

only safe way is hide in the countryside.
and the only way to eat too.

I live in a town. I have a tunnel den built.
and sealed boxes with food & water in.
buried and are well hidden.

I would wait out the worst of it.
then at night sneak out.

Great minds think alike, this is a very good idea friend. Remember the 6 P principal......

Prior
Planning
Prevents
P*ss
Poor
Performance

An Apartment is not a good idea......have your travel plans ready, if need be buy a used (old) vehicle that runs and stash stuff in it in a discreet way as to not get lookie loos trying to break into it, Next, do not transfer title in your name. Allow the seller to turn in his side of the info of sale, that way the DMV will have it on record as in transfer, but not under your name...there is a valid reason for this..Search warrants can only intially be gotten on property in your name only (at first that is until the piggies get wise). If it ever came to that of course.

next plan a route that is not considered normal and as previously posted...tell no one.

new topics

top topics

join