It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Advice On Quitting World of Warcraft?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
hey gang. looking for a bit of advice here on getting out of World of Warcraft. is it declining in popularity for anyone else? anyway ive been a casual player for several years and always enjoyed it, but lately the last few times i get time to go back to it, i just cant seem to muster the interest. i have a dozen or so characters of mostly low levels but i do have one or two that have gotten more attention and im wondering if they have any monetary value or if its ok to just uninstall and cancel the membership. thanks in advance for opinions!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Urantia1111

Been there brother... i played for many years... I was also a GM on several servers... i've watched the game evolve...

Honestly the game has changed so dramatically from the original... its not even the same game...

In 1.2 the game took skills... it wasn't about "the best weapons" and even those with the best weapons and armor were not undefeatable in pvp...

Now the game is only about the best armor and weapons... theres no skill involved. The man with the best equipment usually wins the battle...

My suggestion is to try minecraft... believe it or not...

i've been Hooked... for a while now...

Get past the blocky graphix... and you'll love the game

edit on 18-6-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Just cancel your subscription and install the game.

I played for 6 years, from release till a few months into Cataclysm (Mostly with the same guild). It was hard because of all the relationships I'd developed over the course of 6 years, but once it's been uninstalled and left for about a month, you never look back.

No point in trying to sell your account either if there's no reason for anyone to buy it. If you had at least one level 85 who is raid ready, then you might be able to sell that off to someone.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
try this game called LoL. na.leagueoflegends.com...

i play it for years. still enjoy and fun. my personal opinion that LoL is one of best game ever i play. most of games i play then stop and move on to other games. i m known as slut games.
i stay with LoL.
edit on 18-6-2012 by DeafRaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Play it in moderation, and get a toon to max level! low levels do get boring. I have played since vanilla and gotten the most prestigious PVP titles, i dont keep playing because i love the game (i like it) but it gives me a challenge and many friends.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I finally got my roommate off wow and he hasn't looked back since.Try playing a game that has really competitive multiplayer. I've been playing Shogun Total war: Rise of the Samurai for a long time.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

its an amazing game. when i was a kid playing D&D with my buddies, i fantasized about a game like it. that was in the Atari 2600 era so WoW would have looked like straight up magic to me. i also have noticed that lately since the Cataclysm expansion that 90% of players are in end-game play so if you want to start a new guy or play a lowbie, youre largely on your own.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Get up and Go outside.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I use to be big into Runescape, one time I died I also got logged out so I could not get back to my gear in time. It really felt like I died for good and just gave up after that. Still might check in on it occasionally to see how the game is progressing. If it is still going when I retire I might get back into it, but just takes up too much time for now.

So if you want to give up, drop or lose all your good gear. It will be sad, but it can help in moving on.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Grow a garden, start with some basic stuff like loose leaf lettuce which is easy to grow in the shaded areas and only costs as much to get started as a game and the upkeep is not much at all either. You will get sun, vitamin d, a tan, lose weight, and be inclined to drink water.

If you want a game, I suggest League of Legends. Bonus, it's free but you can pay for extras as well.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
It lost it's lustre for me when Cata hit. I tried a number of times to get into it, but it was all a bit meh all of a sudden.
I do miss it occasionally and I would like a crack at the new Diablo but I just lost the urge to rush out and get stuck back in. But anyway, I have enough to do without it so it's a bit of a non issue these days.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
hey ,

I agree what many others are saying, you should definitely give it away.

Think of how much money you have thrown away on that game ?
Im sure you have better things to spend your money on .

Omega

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
I've lost count the number of times I have quit this game but I always seem to come back...

It depends if you want to just take a break from the game for a while or quit for good. If you want to take a break until new content is released, then I recommend you cancel your subscription until Mists of Pandaria (the next expansion) comes out. Blizzard has promised a lot with MoP and it is destined to be far better than Cataclysm. MoP should be released later this year.

If you are 100% sure you want to quit for good then do the following. Log in and transfer all your gold/items to a good in-game friend and say your goodbyes. Logout and cancel your subscription. Uninstall the game and throw away all the discs you have. Delete all browser bookmarks that relate to the game.

PS: Letting go might not be so easy, it depends how invested in the game you currently are. Good luck!

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I just stopped playing 2 weeks ago. I usually play the game 1 month out of every year just to see what everything is like that year. It is not a hard game to let go.

Yes for me the game losses its appeal in about a month and I move on to something else. I will probably play another month sometime during MoP.

if you want a MMORPG you dont have to pay to play check out GW2.
edit on 19-6-2012 by Sol23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   
1. Uninstall
2. Buy / Install skyrim , X-plane and other max sized games.
3. Install skyrim HD textures and a ton of mods.
4. Try to install WoW and watch it fail due to lack of space.

Problem solved.

Worst case scenario:
5. Add a guest account without uninstall access and forget admin password.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Sometimes just uninstalling the game and throwing the disks away is easier to say than do. I too am a WoW player since the game first came out and have watched the game evolve, met life long friends and have spent probably hundreds of hours exploring every nook and cranny of the game. I've always been a gamer from the time I first discovered Atari (yea I'm old).
The first couple of years I was die hard end game raider. My friends: hey want to go do (insert random fun activity here) Me: Sorry Rangaros is not going to kill himself! Needless to say, my real life relationships suffered greatly. It took almost losing the best friend I ever had to make me see how one game can totally ruin friendships. After that, I had a more casual look at the game. Now I still play almost everyday, but usually at night before I go to sleep. I have learned that there are TONS of things to do in this game at a casual level. I only raid now if one of my other guildies doesn't show up for raid and I just happen to be on to fill the slot.
My point in all of this, is that you don't have to be a hard core poop-socker in order to enjoy this game.
Some people do not have the ability psychologically to be casual about it, in which case it's not the games fault, it's the personality of the gamer. If you have an addictive personality, this game is not for you lol.
If you really want to quit, just do it. Give your gold and items to your friends, cancel your account, uninstall, the game and BAM you're free. It will be helpful if you have a hobby, or something else to replace the time you spend online or else you'll be sitting online staring at cat pictures and videos saying "Why did I do that?"
Good luck my friend.

posted on Jun, 21 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   
I just uninstalled it and walked away. I played since beta and it was difficult to walk away from, but for me I became more disgusted with the people that played the game than the actual game itself. While I weaned myself off I picked up Dark Souls, Skyrim, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, and a few others on Xbox.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
For me it was simple: I got bored with it after cataclysm, now you got the Kung fu panda thing coming? I said forget it.
I've been playing SWTOR and maxed out, now I'm bored with that too...
Don't think there will be any diffrence MMOs out there that will hold my interest long enough...
Tried eve online, DDO, STO, LOTRO....

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Blizzard - crooks. They made it to where i cannot use my level 64 warlock anymore. It has my character in the list, but when ever i try to load character, it boots me from the server! Two years wasted and a lot of money wasted so that they can steal my character and act like it is nothing! They are running an illegal business for these acts! i paid money and can't even play my character, there should be laws on this type of crime!

posted on Aug, 5 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
"Just do it."

.. or "Guild Wars 2"

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join