It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is Jose Antonio Vargas?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
en.wikipedia.org...

Jose Antonio Vargas (born February 3, 1981) is a Filipino American journalist living and working in the United States.[2] He is known for his coverage of HIV, the Virginia Tech shootings, and the influence that politics and the Internet have on each other. In 2008, Vargas was part of the team which won the Pulitzer Prize for Breaking News Reporting. Born in the Philippines, and raised in the United States from the age of 12, Vargas has worked for The San Francisco Chronicle, The Philadelphia Daily News, The Washington Post, and The Huffington Post.

In a June 2011 essay in The New York Times Magazine, Vargas wrote he is an "undocumented immigrant".

IN 1997, when getting his driver's license, with identity documents provided by his family, he found out his documents were fraudulent.

He also has a fraudulent social security number, bought and paid for.

Will somebody please tell me how this happens?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
www.defineamerican.com...

How do YOU define American?
Jose Antonio Vargas

www.defineamerican.com...

WooooooW, so you can get a Pulitzer Prize, work for The San Francisco Chronicle, The Philadelphia Daily News, The Washington Post, and The Huffington Post.

And be undocumented.

I had no idea it was so easy.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
There is a lot that illegals get away with and it is a shame.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Yeah, I remember reading about this guy's story. However, he knew after getting that driver's license that his status as a citizen was a sham. Yet, he went on with his education, and worked for some prestigious publications? I am surprised by that. His accomplishments do not excuse his illegal activities whatsoever.

I am supposed respect a criminal because he wrote news articles for the Washington Post? He ought to be prosecuted for his crimes as well as any individual who aided and abetted his crimes. Whether it be his teachers, acquaintances, or employers. He broke the law plain and simple. His story is no different than other illegal immigrants falsifying identities and government documents. Mr. Vargas is a crook.
edit on 18-6-2012 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
The defineamerican deal is connected with the Tides Foundation.

Ultra Left wing agenda.

Vargas undoubtedly is a sham.

I bet he is not illegal.

It's just a story to further the immigration law change agenda.

Right or wrong doesn't matter.

Vargas is just a shill.

Most of his "stories" are exactly that.....just stories to sell the agenda.

And, careful, those links to his websites have big donate buttons !!

The Tides outfit is connected to George Soros. That is who Vargas works for.

Vargas is an example of how the Ultra-Left works. All by deception.

edit on Jun-18-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Thanks for posting guys, I would love to know what those fake documents were that got him into the United States illegally and how they were obtained.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Vargas undoubtedly is a sham.

I bet he is not illegal.

I am surprised you are dismissing it so easily, xuenchen.

It's is not exactly like the illegals that come from Mexico if you know what I mean.

edit on 093030p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

Lolo was a proud man, and I saw the shame on his face as he told me he purchased the card, along with other fake documents, for me. “Don’t show it to other people,” he warned.

I grew more aware of anti-immigrant sentiments and stereotypes: they don’t want to assimilate, they are a drain on society. They’re not talking about me, I would tell myself. I have something to contribute.

To do that, I had to work — and for that, I needed a Social Security number. Fortunately, my grandfather had already managed to get one for me.

The “uncle” who brought me here turned out to be a coyote, not a relative, my grandfather later explained. Lolo scraped together enough money — I eventually learned it was $4,500, a huge sum for him — to pay him to smuggle me here under a fake name and fake passport. (I never saw the passport again after the flight and have always assumed that the coyote kept it.) After I arrived in America, Lolo obtained a new fake Filipino passport, in my real name this time, adorned with a fake student visa, in addition to the fraudulent green card.

Using the fake passport, we went to the local Social Security Administration office and applied for a Social Security number and card. It was, I remember, a quick visit. When the card came in the mail, it had my full, real name, but it also clearly stated: “Valid for work only with I.N.S. authorization.”

When I began looking for work, a short time after the D.M.V. incident, my grandfather and I took the Social Security card to Kinko’s, where he covered the “I.N.S. authorization” text with a sliver of white tape. We then made photocopies of the card. At a glance, at least, the copies would look like copies of a regular, unrestricted Social Security card.

So it is possible

amazing

For more than a decade of getting part-time and full-time jobs, employers have rarely asked to check my original Social Security card. When they did, I showed the photocopied version, which they accepted.

I visited the White House, where I interviewed senior aides and covered a state dinner — and gave the Secret Service the Social Security number I obtained with false documents.

Well momma pin a rose on me, I'm living in bizarro world.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Night Star

You keep saying stuff like that.
So far here we have one.
Is one "a lot?"

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by habitforming

Originally posted by Night Star

So far here we have one.
Is one "a lot?"

Are you living in a cave? Do you honestly think there is only one illegal getting away with things? Wow!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Didn't you read the story? the fraudulent papers were given to him by his parents.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Someone help me here, the guy visited the white house and gave the secret service his SS number, why aint he in jail?

I visited the White House, where I interviewed senior aides and covered a state dinner — and gave the Secret Service the Social Security number I obtained with false documents.

Isn't anyone seeing what I am seeing?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by muse7
Didn't you read the story? the fraudulent papers were given to him by his parents.

I understand in the beginning he was innocent, this aint about Vargas.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Someone help me here, the guy visited the white house and gave the secret service his SS number, why aint he in jail?

Well it's obvious.

He is being protected.

The databases were "corrected" to his advantage.

He is being protected.

His agenda fits their hands.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Well it's obvious.

He is being protected.

The databases were "corrected" to his advantage.

He is being protected.

His agenda fits their hands.

Close, guess again.
edit on 103030p://bMonday2012 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

must be the same outfit that has been covering up the Obama character.

??

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   

So far here we have one.
Is one "a lot?"

Two. One is in the white house.

This story just goes to show how easy it is to buy your way into top U.S. positions with fake documents and recycled social security numbers.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
It's fairly common for Filipino's to be Illegal. Most of the time they'll overstay their visa's They're called Tago ng Tago aka TNT's..."hide and hide". My ex had a few relatives who were TNT's. In Vargas's case, he didn't do much hiding. If you have a little bit of cash fake docs are pretty easy to get. The Filipino "mafia" can get you pretty much anything.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
It's fairly common for Filipino's to be Illegal aliens. It's usually because they'll over stay their visa. They're called Tang ng Tang aka "TNT"..."hide and hide". My ex has some relatives who are TNT's. Obviously Vargas didn't do much hiding. If you have a little cash you can get whatever fake docs you need. The Filipino "mafia" can pretty much get anything you want or need.

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes

So far here we have one.
Is one "a lot?"

Two. One is in the white house.

This story just goes to show how easy it is to buy your way into top U.S. positions with fake documents and recycled social security numbers.

How does this story do that? If it were easy, wouldn't it be happening like um a lot?
Save the birther nonsense for birther threads, please.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join