It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chill Out-Ambient-Trance Music - Suggestions Please !

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Hey ATS Groovers, I need some help.

I am searching for music that I can trip out to - one of my fave past-times is sitting in total darkness with my headphones on listening to music that can 'transport' me, if you get my drift.

The best genre I can think of outside of Avant-Garde Electronica is Chill Out/Ambient/Trance if such a thing exists ? It can have a beat BUT not be dancey as I don't want my body to move - I have to stay focused on the adventures appearing in my consciousness.

Here is an example of the sort of music I mean. I have a lot of Cafe Del Mar / Buddha Bar comps.

I have a hard time listening to the 'new-agey' stuff as it's just mostly layers of synth with no discernible artistic merit.

I really liked Aphex Twins ambient stuff (like below) and Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, Pink Floyd was good in its day. I also admire stuff by Cinematic Orchestra, 1 Giant Leap, Chicane, Faithless, Lamb, Afterlife if that helps - I just really need to find some new tunes to get me 'out there'.

I know musical taste can be a very personal thing but I was hoping that a fellow ATS member 'knows' what I'm talking about ?

Thanks and Peace Out - Ned

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
My personal favorites for years have been OTT, Shpongle, Yanni, Kitaro for chilling and for attaining inspiration.
I love real music, cosmic, artistic, emotional and vibrant.

Let me know your faves!
edit on 18-6-2012 by OmegaSynthesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
I don't know if it would be classed as ambient or chill out but when I want to relax, I like listening to Sasha and John Digweed.

edit on 18-6-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: fix link

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Also, anything by The Orb!

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I think it's best to categorize music by the feeling it provokes and by season. Winter is sad, summer is happy etc. My favorite ambient sound is off the Darker than Black 5.1 soundtrack #18 called a "drop of water." It makes me feel uncertain about my future.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaSynthesis

Thanks, I liked the Ott track but not exactly what I'm looking for.

I listened to Kitaro many years ago - it seemed pretty good - I might check out his latest stuff.

If you can chill to Shpongle then you're a better person than me

Peace - Ned

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Excellent choice ,Northern exposure 1&2 great with a couple of bikkis

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:56 AM
link   

Thanks Wide-Eyes - that's pretty cool and the kind of thing I'm looking for. Don't know how I missed their stuff considering they've been around so long. Would you recommend a particular album seeing they have a few.

Peace - Ned

PS - I'm referring to The Orb

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by nimbinned

How about this?

edit on 18-6-2012 by OmegaSynthesis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Sphongle, Infected Mushroom (Earlier stuff), Mogwai, God is an Astronaut, A Winged Victory for the Sullen.

A Winged Victory For The Sullen - Requiem for the Static King Part 2

(It takes time for this to build, but when the piano kicks in, it's beautiful)

Mogwai - Take me somewhere nice

Shpongle - When Shall I Be Free?

I HEAVILY recommend Mogwai and A Winged Victory for the Sullen. Ambient (and at times post rock) relaxation

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Also, try this.

Infected Mushroom. Isralian Psy-Trance musicians. Quite amazing.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaSynthesis

Thanks for sharing Omega - I really like his style but it's a bit too fast for my mellow excursions in to the etheral realms. I had a look at the other tracks on this album. Would be a good one to get for general listening.

Ned

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Yes, U.F.Orb.

From wiki.

U.F.Orb is the second studio album by ambient house/techno group The Orb. It was released in July 1992 and reached #1 on the UK Album Chart. It featured an edited version of The Orb's single "Blue Room". Noted graphic design group The Designers Republic designed the cover art.

Back in the good old days when young people actually had good taste in music. Epic album.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Thanks man, appreciate it.

Ned

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Autechre

Some of their tunes are fast and wild, similar to Squarepusher.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Also, I'm sure you must have heard this tune...

Apparently this is from the debut album: The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld

I will be honest, I have never heard this album. The fact that this was made in 1991 is mindblowing. I am gonna try and get a copy of this album.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Stonesplitter

Lol, Squarepusher is awesome.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by MartyrCollect
Sphongle, Infected Mushroom (Earlier stuff), Mogwai, God is an Astronaut, A Winged Victory for the Sullen.

A Winged Victory For The Sullen - Requiem for the Static King Part 2

(It takes time for this to build, but when the piano kicks in, it's beautiful)

Mogwai - Take me somewhere nice

Shpongle - When Shall I Be Free?

I HEAVILY recommend Mogwai and A Winged Victory for the Sullen. Ambient (and at times post rock) relaxation

WOW WOW WOW

That first composition is brilliant. I had a look at Wiltzie's bio. His background is mostly slow-core/ambient by the looks of it (ie bedhead). He did an album called 'Music for Nitrous Oxide' - this is my kind of dude
He also worked with Mercury Rev - I went to a small concert of theirs over 10 years ago and had a spontaneous peak experience (no drugs involved - I swear) THANKS so much for this recommendation. I will look in to further.

Peace Out

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Stonesplitter

YES - that's the sh.t Very trippy in a '2001' kind of way.

Will definately check out their work. The Brits seem to have a knack for this kind of stuff.

Thanks Splitter

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Anytime brother, I'm always on the lookout for new/old underground music.........something about top 100 stuff just doesn't do it for me!

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
Lol, Squarepusher is awesome.

Yeah the mans talented, mean slap bass player. Mr Oizo is another I like, mean analogue sounds!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join