It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Current GeoMagnetic Storm! Awesome!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   

So... just last night, I caught my first glimpse of an Aura! Man was it awesome...

Anyways... this storm is a strong one!

Planetary K-index
Now: Kp= 5 storm
24-hr max: Kp= 6 storm

The highest I've ever seen on this site before is 5! I check this thing daily... I wouldn't be surprised if this is the strongest geomagnetic storm Earth has seen for quite some time!

spaceweather.com...

Where can you view this awesomeness from?

Currently...

Solar wind
speed: 459.1 km/sec
density: 4.0 protons/cm3

The speed isn't necessarily all that amazing, but... the density is fairly high from what I've read. I'm not going to pretend to be the most knowledgeable person on the subject. If there are any ATS members that would be willing to share any information in regards to the topic, and the 'strength' of this particular storm, I"M ALL EARS!

Anyways... I thought I'd just bring attention to this, in hopes that maybe it will inspire someone to look up and take in the beauty of Auras. It's not every day that someone can see them from as far south as Iowa.

edit on 18-6-2012 by FractalChaos13242017 because: error

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Located in Edmonton, Alberta and I can usually see Northern Lights often. Tonight looks like it will be a strong show but unfortunately its cloudy right now. I'll check in 15 mins or so. Thanks for the post.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by FractalChaos13242017

Wow did you actually take that picture? How long have you been living in the area... I'm guessing it's strange to see an aurora from where you live?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
i'm on that map at vancouver, but it's raining right now so there's no chance of seeing anything, ever.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Wow did you actually take that picture? How long have you been living in the area... I'm guessing it's strange to see an aurora from where you live?

I wish! No, what I saw wasn't as amazing as the image that I presented. Although, that image is from this current geomagnetic storm.

I've been living in Minnesota all of my life, and rarely make it as far north as the Canadian boarder. I have been working in northern Wisconsin and it was on my way back to Minnesota that I witnessed the show. From what I've heard, Auras are somewhat common in far northern Wisconsin and Minnesota, but I guess I've just never been at the right place at the right time.

Now that I know that they can be seen from my job site, I will definitely be keeping my eye out when the conditions are right! I will surely take pictures next time and post them on ATS with some corny metaphysics rant

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Awesome, did you take that photo?

new topics

top topics

join