It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nature 1 - Monsanto 0

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by satron

Monsanto genes have "infected" many Mexican corn crops. Genetically unique strains that have been kept for thousands of years now test positive for Monsanto genes.

Those whose hybrid lines have been infected and corrupted by Monsanto's engineered genes should find a law firm to sue Monsanto for the damage it has done and continurd to do to those hybrid lines that were carefully developed over centurirs and longer. If Monsanto can sue farmers for using cross-pollinated seeds that have traces of Monsanto's imposter genes, then the farmers whose carefully developed hybrid seeds have been infected by Monsanto's imposter genes should be able to recover damages as well.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by SUICIDEHK45
reply to post by seeker1963

I agree. What happens when they run out of different strains of corn that will kill these bugs? It may take hundreds of years to do this, but then you will have bugs that are invincible. The bugs could be resistant to everything. Then what?

Eat the bugs. I hear they are high protein and high fiber.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by dubiousone

It would be great but I don't think the farmers have the money to take a multi-billion corporation to court.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Just like humans taking antibiotics.
and the diseases becoming immune to them.
plant pests will become immune too.
and then we lose most of the edible plants.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Your welcome my friends... your welcome...

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Everytime a new pesticide is developed and used, there will always be a few bugs that are immune to it. That is natures way of insuring the survival of the species. It has always been this way with any natural disease or blight or whatever. A few survive. That is why 50 million year old bugs trapped in amber are the same as their descendants today. It is guaranteed that you cannot kill all of them. Sot the survivors breed and the rest die. Then all the bugs are immune and the pesticide company has to make even nastier chemicals to kill them off again. And again, and again.

See where this leads? The idea that some whiz kid geneticist thought that putting the pesticide right in the genes was going to work is ridiculous. Now all that hard work is for naught. The result of this new battle on the genetic level will guarantee a myriad of future sickly variants of a variety of GMO crops.

And super insect colonies that eat all of them before we do. Woops...

Game over

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
Wonder how long it will be before the farmers sue Monsanto Co for false advertising.

Monsanto Co is claiming there corn is insect resistant and now there is evidence its not.

If i was a farmer i would want my money back plus damages.

But then i am a Vietnam vet and if i was a farmer i would never do business with Monsanto Co in the first place.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by SUICIDEHK45

As I am very happy that mother nature is dealing Monsanto a big blow, I am also very apprehensive to celebrate it! I HATE this company with everybit of hate I have in my body, but will not their new strain of super worm spill over to the organic farmer who has done nothing wrong with his/her work with mother nature?

I am soooooooo pissed right now, because I can see it coming............A new form of poison to pollute the environement, a NEW form of GMO plant etc etc..................

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are taking a kick in the ass, but ultimately, I see the FDA and USDA giving them MORE power to try to create more monsters to correct the problems they created in the first place!

I am have really mixed emotions on this one........Instead of the FDA coming down on this corrupt company, all I see happening is giving them more freedom to further poison our planet into oblivion!
edit on 17-6-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

Aparantly, Monsanto hasn't heard of "YOU CAN"T FOOL MOTHER NATURE" ! Nice Try guys, NO CIGAR!
edit on 6/18/2012 by Labrynth2012 because: to correct spelling

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by indigo21
This is why nature doesn't need protection.

in some ways it seems it doesn't, but its just as fragile as we are.

we need to care for it like our best friend in the universe, because it loves us, and also sends lions to eat us, and elephants to trample us, and sharks to bite our butts, but it loves us.

we need to take care of it, so it can show us the love it has always had.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

As happy as I am about Monsanto getting the middle finger from mother nature...
I'm not sure we should be celebrating making insects hyper-develop immunities they shouldn't naturally have.

What happens when something evolves laser-breath, bullet-vision, or a brain bigger than ours?

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

As I am very happy that mother nature is dealing Monsanto a big blow, I am also very apprehensive to celebrate it! I HATE this company with everybit of hate I have in my body, but will not their new strain of super worm spill over to the organic farmer who has done nothing wrong with his/her work with mother nature?

I am soooooooo pissed right now, because I can see it coming............A new form of poison to pollute the environement, a NEW form of GMO plant etc etc..................

Don't get me wrong, I am glad they are taking a kick in the ass, but ultimately, I see the FDA and USDA giving them MORE power to try to create more monsters to correct the problems they created in the first place!

I am have really mixed emotions on this one........Instead of the FDA coming down on this corrupt company, all I see happening is giving them more freedom to further poison our planet into oblivion!
edit on 17-6-2012 by seeker1963 because: (no reason given)

perhaps if we're really lucky.. nature made a special strain of bug that only seeks out and eats monstanto crops and leaves all the other organic farmer crops alone. wouldnt that be beautiful? let's see him get a patent to wipe out an entire ecosystem so he can plant fake corn.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Here is an article about the weeds developing a resistance to the corn.

Monsanto Vs Nature: The Weeds Fight Back

But Mother Nature, darn it, has rebelled. So much of Monsanto's poison was spread in the past decade that weeds naturally began to resist it. As a Dow Chemical agronomist explained, "The real need here is to diversify our weed management systems."

Exactly right! We need non-chemical, sustainable systems that work with nature and without genetically altered crops.

Monsanto Vs. Nature

Maybe I should have made the title of the thread Nature 2 - Monsanto 0
Hopefully we continue to see nature prevail. It just goes to show how resilient nature can be. It's just unfortunate that money is more important to some people than protecting the earth.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I grew up in Illinois, near the Pioneer company. Although I don't like Monsanto either, this is terrible news.
We
Can't afford to have the corn supply interrupted.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by White Locust

I understand why you may be concerned about the corn, but in 2011 there was something like 1.5 billion bushels exported from the U.S. Having a shortage of corn will surely effect the economy and farmers, but humans really don't need all that corn and it is mostly used for processed food items, cattle feed, ethanol. Although ethanol production is important, most ethanol plants have switched to using a majority of milo in the production of ethanol because corn costs so much.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
How much will this really impact Monsanto? Is this really gonna hit their operations or will they just shrug it off and move on? Not trying to downplay nature's awesome victory here, just trying to gauge the situation

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MagnaCarta19

Yeah, I doubt it will make a huge difference for Monsato, but it is pretty neat that after such a short period of time, the bugs have evolved and become immune to the poisons in the crops.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I doubt they have evolved, i guess those engineers just #ed up something, they will fix it. There's no way "mother nature" can do anything against this. "Mother Nature" has long since lost the 'war' against those evil, evil humans

I guess that company, whoever that is (another reason i'm glad i don't live in North America), will find ways to deal with it.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by daynight42

You gave me courage, here is my reply

I am very against Monsanto, so don't get me wrong. But, how can you plant more for the bugs? It's not like you can use signs to get them to eat certain plants and not others. ha ha. I have issues with slugs on my plants. I just have to kill them, or else my leaves get damaged. The slugs do not care what plant they've moving on.

He did kill bugs also, manually, he would pick off slugs, since birds don't eat them it seems. Sometimes a man has to fight. lol It is a fair way though. If your intent is clear, the slug can choose to stay out of your way. He also had issues with those stink bugs. your right that there is no sign, "eat these plants" and he would get frustrated, but his way everyone has a fair chance. man and bug. Thank you for your reply.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by 0mage

perhaps if we're really lucky.. nature made a special strain of bug that only seeks out and eats monstanto crops and leaves all the other organic farmer crops alone. wouldnt that be beautiful? let's see him get a patent to wipe out an entire ecosystem so he can plant fake corn.

Unfortunately Monsanto have attempted making genetically engineered bees that only pollinate genetically modified crops. How successful they were I do not know but they are "busy" n that sector of the marketplace too. Genetically engineered mosquitoes and bees are both things that passed the revue hier on ATS. Unfortunately.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Monsanto are arrogant to think that they can mess with Mother Nature in the first place. They got lucky with Round-Up and now they're trying to apply the same concept to everything, as if "one-size-fits-all".

Speaking of Monsanto, I've noticed veggies and fruits tasting terrible lately. I used to love Fuji apples but seem to have gone to being bland and having very thick, chewey skin. Something about them is off.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join