It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Obama Playing Politics with Marco Rubio?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., may now refrain from introducing his much-anticipated version of the DREAM Act following Friday's administration announcement of a deportation deferral process for young, undocumented citizens in the U.S.

www.cbsnews.com...

They sound almost the same. The two different plans for illegal immigration. Marco Rubio says that Obama's executive order has pushed his DREAM Act away from legal implementation for another two years. He says it's impossible now, to try to get it through Congress since Obama has done it himself, with yet another unconstitutional mandate.

You would think the anointed one would have just passed Rubio's Bill instead huh? Idiot!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., may now refrain from introducing his much-anticipated version of the DREAM Act following Friday's administration announcement of a deportation deferral process for young, undocumented citizens in the U.S.

www.cbsnews.com...

They sound almost the same. The two different plans for illegal immigration. Marco Rubio says that Obama's executive order has pushed his DREAM Act away from legal implementation for another two years. He says it's impossible now, to try to get it through Congress since Obama has done it himself, with yet another unconstitutional mandate.

You would think the anointed one would have just passed Rubio's Bill instead huh? Idiot!

I bet that a smart constitutional lawyer can contort a case out of the equal protection clause based upon this selective deferral.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Is he playing politics? Most likely there's some of that involved.

And shame on him, since no other politicians are playing politics!

Obama has ALWAYS supported the Dream Act.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 6/17/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jjf3rd77

Idiot??? It is genius.

This shows how two-faced Republicans are...they supported Rubio's plan....but now that Obama is doing the exact same thing....they will oppose it.

Plus...now Rubio either has to support Obama on this move, or start to bash his own plan. Just like Romney is having to bash his own healthcare plan.

Obama is just exposing the Republicans as the obstructionist that they are...it is a brilliant move, which is why so many Republicans are just sooooo pissed off about it.

And there is nothing unconstitutional about an enforcement policy...no laws were changed, this is just prioritizing the enforcement standards.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

This shows how two-faced Republicans are...they supported Rubio's plan....but now that Obama is doing the exact same thing....they will oppose it.

And there is nothing unconstitutional about an enforcement policy...no laws were changed, this is just prioritizing the enforcement standards.

Rubio was working on a legal law for all immigrants, now he can't do this because Obama has an executive order for some immigrants. Rubio doesn't even want to be Vice President. This was something he was very passionate about, and Obama takes the credit now. I think it's all talking points on Obama's part. Just to get more votes. Rubio was actually trying to get this thing to pass legally without the power of the President, and while it's funny that republicans are barking at Obama for doing the same thing.

Remember what he ran on OutKast? Unity? Why didn't he work with Rubio? Why did he and his democrat friends attack the DREAM ACT if they were going to implement it anyway? He would earn some points in my book for actually being a leader and working together with both parties on this issue.
edit on 17-6-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

"I've said time and time and time again to Congress, send me the Dream Act, put it on my desk, and I will sign it right away," Obama said. "Both parties wrote this legislation."

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
If Rubio was so passionate about implementing a Dream Act, why not introduce it when he first came to office?

Can anybody even show me a copy of Rubio Dream act proposal?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Why did he and his democrat friends attack the DREAM ACT if they were going to implement it anyway? He would earn some points in my book for actually being a leader and working together with both parties on this issue.

Attack it? Are you sure you arent thinking of the Republicans?

Perry attacked by GOP rivals for DREAM Act

campaign2012.washingtonexaminer.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

If only things were that simple.

The DREAM ACT has been bogged down with revisions from both sides of the spectrum and each time it has hit hurdles.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by stanguilles7

you were right my bad, but some democrats did oppose it. About five.....articles.latimes.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Now for the politics: The move puts Republicans, who are torn internally over immigration, and especially Mitt Romney, in a very uncomfortable spot. Romney has repeatedly said that he would veto a DREAM Act, if elected president, and Kris Kobach, his hard-right immigration adviser and the author of Arizona’s notorious immigration law, has said the candidate will not support anything that gives undocumented immigrants a path to legal status.

The new administration policy basically adopts the Rubio approach. The Democratic bill offered a clear path to full citizenship, Rubio’s did not, and neither does the administration’s move.

So how do Republicans attack the president (and they must, always, without exception attack the president) when he’s adopted the policy of their leading figure on immigration?

www.salon.com...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
If Rubio was so passionate about implementing a Dream Act, why not introduce it when he first came to office?

Rubio is on the shortlist for VP since showing up at Bilderberg with Daniels. The reason he didn't produce it was because it's intensely unpopular in GOP circles. Not that it matters anyway. Mittens has gotten the backing of TPTB and will win. People on ATS will hate him a week after they vote for him. I will laugh as ATS swings to the left....

Oh man as dumb as the sheeple they hate.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

His Dream Act is "currently being drafted"... And Obama has supported Dream Act legislation vocally since he came on the national scene. I agree with you. If Rubio was so passionate about it, he would have it drafted and in Congress by now... If anyone is playing politics here, it's Rubio and the GOP. They need the Latino vote so they're pandering...

(CBS News) Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla., decried the Dream Act as "too broad," and said his proposal currently being drafted would provide an "alternate route" for undocumented immigrants in the U.S.

Source
edit on 6/17/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

so your saying Rubio's dream act has been revised and has it hurdles..Kind of hard to believe because as far as I can tell he has never put his thoughts on paper.

Hello BH, long time no see.
edit on 17-6-2012 by jam321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Rubio was working on a legal law for all immigrants, now he can't do this because Obama has an executive order for some immigrants. Rubio doesn't even want to be Vice President. This was something he was very passionate about, and Obama takes the credit now. I think it's all talking points on Obama's part. Just to get more votes. Rubio was actually trying to get this thing to pass legally without the power of the President, and while it's funny that republicans are barking at Obama for doing the same thing.

And he still could push this forward if he really wanted to. Enforcement policy of current law does not effect proposed new laws.

BUT...if Rubio moves forward with this...it is an endorsement of Obama's enforcement policy...because the two match exactly. He knows no Republican will vote for something that Obama is already doing...because that makes it look like they support Obama and they have already declared they will oppose anything Obama supports.

Rubio is playing politics...he won't do what he believes in because it would look like he is supporting Obama. Republicans are playing politics because they won't pass a bill that Obama is in support of.

Obama is just making them all look like obstructionist fools....and it is brilliant.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

It's funny you should say that. It's a dirty political move on both their parts. Obama's included. Again why wouldn't he work with Rubio? Clinton would have, Kennedy would have. But Obama's ego got in the way,

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

He would have worked with Rubio. He's been waiting 4 years for Congress to bring legislation. Then the second Obama announces his order, Rubio starts crying, "I was going to do it! Obama ruined it for me"!

Seriously?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

In a way he is working with Rubio...he is saying, "Hey...I'm willing to do this...I'm setting my enforcement just how you want the permanent law to be...let's do this".

Rubio is the one saying he won't do it now...and it is all because Obama is supportive of it and Rubio is acting like a child and crying about it.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

reply to post by OutKast Searcher

It's funny you should say that. It's a dirty political move on both their parts. Obama's included. Again why wouldn't he work with Rubio? Clinton would have, Kennedy would have. But Obama's ego got in the way,

Bold mine.

What do you mean 'woudn't work with Rubio'? He's the POTUS, he can sign something if it is put on his desk. He's been supporting the DREAM act for years. Rubio used to be against it, but now he's for it.

I think the better question would be 'Why won't Rubio work with Dems on a bill they have en pushing for years?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Looks like Romney is flip-flopping on the DREAM act now:

Romney gets DREAMy on immigration
After repeatedly vowing to veto the DREAM Act, the candidate suggests he has no problem with Obama's new policy

Romney’s endorsement of Rubio’s approach is a fairly major break from the immigration policy the former governor advocated just a few months ago. ”And I have indicated I would veto the DREAM Act,” Romney said during a Fox News debate in January.

Responding to another candidate’s more liberal position, Romney said, “I think that’s a mistake. I think we have to follow the law and insist those who come here illegally ultimately return home, apply, and get in line with everyone else.”

Romney especially savaged Texas Governor Rick Perry for being too soft on immigration. “I will not do anything that opens up another wave of illegal immigration,” he added.

www.salon.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join