It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anime: This is what I like. Tell me what I should buy next.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

I don't understand how people just like anime in general. It's Japanese animation, each one has a completely different storyline and aren't related in any way. It's like saying you love everything made in America.

I didn't see anyone say they like anime in general. In fact I went to great lengths to specify the exact type of anime that i like.

I do agree with other posters, though, that the word anime does come with certain connotations these days. You might be splitting hairs, and I'm not sure what you wanted to accomplish with your post.

What I WOULD like to know is what type of anime (in the vein that I laid out) you might really enjoy

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Arekoteya

watch the Ninja Scroll movie for sure, not sure about the series though I haven't gotten around to watching that yet, but the movie is awesome! One of the best.

Oh yeah, I've definitely watched Ninja Scroll. It's another one of those old masterpieces.

While I REALLY enjoy that movie, I don't think I could get into that as a genre. It's very gratuitous, and lacks enough story to flesh out a series... It's awesome for a single experience, but probably not a series.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Thanks for reminding me about samurais.

Samurai Deeper Kyo
Rurouni Kenshin
Ninja scroll
Afro Samurai (love the anime in this, very well done show)

Tell me about Samurai Deeper Kyo. How would it compare to Rurouni Kenshin?

I watched a Rurouni Kenshin movie (haven't seen the series) and I was very bored
Maybe it had a lot to do with not knowing the characters well. I couldn't make my self care about the main character.

I've been a little nervous about Afro Samurai... I didn't want to purchase a movie full of racial stereotypes (as you sometimes find when watching black men and women in anime). Your thoughts?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

Also: XXXHolic is a very interesting seinen (so it targets a more adult audience compared to raito noberu with a bit more sophisticated themes) manga/anime series. I highly recommend it.
There's also a movie for it called XXXHolic: A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Hmm... Not sure if the others are my cup of tea. This one seems interesting, though. The reviews aren't stellar, but that doesn't always mean much.

It's not hentai is it?

Can you tell me more about it?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by fortified

Yup, yup. I've watched Tri-Gun. It was pretty darn good

I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't already seen it. It's pretty much a classic.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by DJM8507

Can you tell me what you like about Inuyasha?

I've seen a few episodes, and I enjoyed them. There are SO MANY, though. I'm afraid if I buy it it might end up being something like Naruto that started out really intriguing, but began to sputter out with millions of episodes (ok, I might be exaggerating).

Sell me on it, please, 'cause it's something that constantly pops into my mind

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by angrymomma

I like to watch some funny ones now and again to break away from the serious ones. Yakitate!! Japan is one of my favorite ones. It's about a bread making competition...but give it a chance lol. It gets pretty crazy.

ETA: Fairy Tail or Soul Eater are pretty good too. My husband got me hooked on those two.

Hmm. Soul Eater actually sounds pretty entertaining. More of the sit back and relax type than the make me think about it type, but that's not always bad. What other thoughts do you have on that one?

I'll have to look into Yakitate!! as just the premise of a series based on a bread baking competition sounds too ridiculous to be bad

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
My fav is "Legend of the Overfiend" i havent seen anything more hardcore than that series.

If anyone knows of any series more hardcore then please let me know

I like my anime sick and twisted lol
edit on 17-6-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MyrTheSeeker

paranoia agent
green legend ran

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

is that the urotsukidoji film? lol i have that on vhs somewhere i think.
uhm what can i recomend?ive been watching sankarea lately, i think its pretty good.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

Yeah thats the one
lol.

The first 3 films were pretty good. I havent been able to find anything to match it since.

Thanks for the recommendation

edit on 17-6-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   

This explains it better than I ever could lol.

Soul Eater Wiki

edit on 17-6-2012 by angrymomma because: would help if I added the link >. extra DIV

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Tagged & flagged because I like Anime too.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I just started watching Code Geass and I have to say I am quite enjoying it. Elfen Lied is also very good.

EDIT: Didn't realize you mentioned Outlaw Star. I do have two more recs though. First is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. While this technically takes place in a different universe from the original movies it is still very good and the animation is absolutely beautiful. My other rec is FLCL. This is the show Gainax did after Evangelion and was written by Yoji Enokido who wrote for Evangelion. It's only six episodes; it doesn't have much of a plot; and it's rather lighthearted. At the same time though it is very deep and will definitely make you think.

I also recommend checking out the sites Crunchy Roll and DubHappy. They both have a ton of shows streaming for free.
edit on 6/17/2012 by Xcalibur254 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Full Metal does have a coherent and complicated story line that progresses throughout the series. I wouldn't say that the story or the way it is told continually improves beyond what you may have seen in the first few episodes yet it does slowly reveal a great deal about the brothers, their world and their place therein.

I as several others have would also recommend Rin it is well done and interesting to watch how the world changes around the two main characters.

Birdy the Mighty: Decode was enjoyable for me. There is a good story line, interesting characters and some imaginative tech. In this series you get to see both aliens interacting with earth and also explore the alien worlds themselves.

Also I would recommend dirty pair, galaxy express 999, and space battleship Yamato

Otaku USA the magazine does a nice job of highlighting anime I might not have been aware of without

edit on 6/17/2012 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
I highly recommend watching these shows:

Dennou Coil
Kaiba
Ghost Hound
Ef (series)
Yakitate Japan
The Gargoyle of the Yoshinagas
Gakuen Alice
Basquash!
Monster
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (series)

Dennou Coil has to be one of the best shows I ever watched period. And your children would really like it as well.

Kiaba is just one really surreal show.

Ghost Hound is just plain awesome.

Yakitate Japan and Gakuen Alice will have you laughing to the point you start to hurt.

The Gargoyle of the Yoshinagas will have you busting a gut at times as well.

Basquash! the best sports themed anime ever.

Monster is probably the best mystery horror anime you will watch.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (series) will have you crapping your pants, and laughing really hard.

I have seen literally dozens of shows over the years

Other shows that I recommend are:
Tenchi Muyo (series)
Now and Then, Here and There
Kyou no Go ni (Today in Class 5-2) you can watch it on youtube. Just look for user ssj2gohan83. This is ecchi, so you have been warned.
Battle Programmer Shirase
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan (Beating Angle series)
Elfen Lied
Amaenaideyo
Amaenaideyo Katsu
Bamboo Blade
XXX Holic (series)
Azumanga Daioh
Serial Experiments Lain
Beck
Damekko Doubutsu
Narutaru
Mononoke
Happy Lesson Advance
Majokko Tsukane-chan

edit on 18-6-2012 by ssj2gohan83 because: Found dvd backup. Listed my favorite shows.

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
High recommendation.

Basilisk - old age ninja/superhuman saga
Ninja Scroll(movie, series sucks) - old age ninja/superhuman saga
Scrapped Princess
Berserk - reflects harsh life
Macross series
Ghost in the Shell series
Death Note
Air (TV) - only anime to make me cry lol

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Don't let the three X fool you, it's not hentai, there's no sex or nudity, it's PG-rated

It's about a High School student who has the ability to see spirits until he meets a witch who can rid him of being chased by those ghosts but of course it comes with a price.

I really liked it and think it's a well down shown with an interesting storyline. I rarely have heard anything negative about it, it usually makes the list of 'most sophisticated animes' on the internet

posted on Jun, 18 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Down4Whateva

This person nailed it...

Vampire Hunter D
Ninja Scoll
Highschool of the Dead.
God Killer
Fist of the North Star

I'd also recommend Robotech, especially the Macross TV series, by Harmony Gold.
I've been on a mission to procure the whole collection, and I'm not even a big anime fan, but there are a few that are just awesome (like those above). I know you said you don't like Mechs and Lasers, but that's really not the focus of Robotech, it's more about the story.

And, they still hold up. I enjoyed Robotech as a kid. Not too long ago, I was home sick, and did kind of a marathon of these, and the storyline is really pretty amazing. I still love it, after all of these years.

Too bad the video games bite it.... It's fun piloting a Veritech, but those games are seemingly impossible for me, for some reason. Damned Zentraedi.
edit on 18-6-2012 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 19 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I don't know where you can buy them but a few good anime are

Spice and Wolf
Chrono Crusade
Sands of Destruction
elemental gelade

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join