It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anime: This is what I like. Tell me what I should buy next.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Alright ATS, so every once in a while I get a real urge to take a breather from work and learning and just sit back and enjoy one of my guilty pleasures; anime!

Sure, there are hundreds of anime related websites and forums that I could drop this on, but the thought occurred to me that in order to have input that is meaningful to me, I should present the question to a crowd of like-minded individuals. Even if we are non completely like-minded on this forum, at the very least there is a good chance that just by being here you demonstrate a level of intelligence and critical thinking I'd not likely find in your run-of-the-mill anime group.

So the question is: What anime series would you recommend I purchase next?

And to follow that up: Where do you buy your anime? Keep in mind I am by no means rich, so with the decline of anime licensing in English speaking countries and the subsequent price increase I tend to lean towards HK products

So, in order to give you an idea of what I enjoy, and why, I'll list a few animes that I've already watched and found interesting.

1. Cowboy Bebop
I enjoy the use of music to create moods here. There is a palpable atmosphere to most episodes, created by interesting environments, characters, music and amazing direction (i.e. the director intentionally spent enough time showing the character of a given location, through slow-paced cut-aways and nat sound, that you came to understand it and appreciate it). That being said, I tend to enjoy a space-cowboy setting, anyhow. I like sci-fi, but I get tired of shiny mechs and laser beams...

Although each episode has a distinct theme and set of circumstances, there is an underlying plot throughout the series. I know this is how a series should be, but so many miss the mark.

This is really one of only a couple anime series that I can truly say I miss the characters from.

2. Wolf's Rain
The character development in this show is monumental. I thoroughly enjoyed the wolf/human plot device as well.

There is something about their search for where they felt they belonged that appealed to me, and tugged on a heart-string. I often get homesick for some unknown place as well, so I can relate to their drive.

This anime made me cry. Bonus points for that as I'm pretty stone-cold most of the time. Just shows how much it made me feel for the characters.

3. Last Exile
Remember how I said I like sci-fi, but dislike shiny mechs and lasers? Here's another good example. I tend to love steam-punk too, and this was pretty close. To me, this show was like an anime version of the web-comic Alpha Shade, and that is what initially drew me to it.

The art is fantastic. Great production quality, and that goes a long way.

Again, the relationship between the character here was very well developed. I was saddened by the betrayal, and moved by the death to a point that I was elated at the mere image of the antagonist returning in the credits.

4. Samurai Champloo
Funny character interaction, good action scenes, an underlying plot. This is just a good series. There have been better, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with this one.

I have a thing with Asian culture, so any anime set in the Edo period in Japan has already got me hooked. This series did a good job with setting moods as well.

5. Witch Hunter Robin
I enjoyed the semi-gothic atmosphere invoked here. The characters were mildly interesting, and the series just kept me coming back for more. Just an interesting premise I think. Something fresh, with good art direction.

6. Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi
This one was a little outside my normal comfort zone, but I have to say I REALLY enjoyed it! First of all, I LOVE anything that has to do with time-travel or dimensional-shift plot devices, and to throw situational comedy, character development and a tiny bit of love in the mix really set this one apart.

Every episode was unique, yet they all (with maybe two exceptions) progressed the plot a little bit further. Just what I like! It made me think, too, which is something I appreciate above all else in a series. I don't want to sit back and have everything spoon-fed to me. I like to figure things out, reflect on things, even be blessed with a new perspective from time to time through the medium of anime.

I highly recommend this series to ANY anime fan. With the exception of maybe two episodes and the terrible YuGiOh-esque costume that you are assaulted with in the final episode, this series nears perfection.

7. Outlaw Star
This was one of my first anime influences (luckily it wasn't Pokemon or DBZ), so I may have rose-tinted glasses when remembering it. I do really like it, though. It's another of those space-cowboy type settings.

I can't list anything that stands out to me in particular, but I will say that for some reason this movie invokes a sense of nostalgia and longing in me, which is strange for a movie set in the future.

8. Neon Genesis Evangelion
Well, it's just epic. It may be mechs, but they aren't your standard shiny mechs. While this series has a lot of the elements that I don't normally care for, I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Rahxephon was pretty much an NGE rip-off, but I enjoyed that one too. All in all I enjoyed the action of the shows, and the (sometimes) thought-provoking twists at the ends. I do like twists

Movies:

1. Akira

How could I not list Akira. This is THE first anime movie I was introduced to. I was young enough that I had to watch it a couple times to work out all of the subtleties... That's one of the things I LOVE about it! You have to THINK if you want to really GET it.

The art is wonderful, the action is satisfying and I don't think I've ever heard an intelligent person complain about the plot. I just plain like this movie.

2. Ghost In The Shell
Unlike it's sad impersonator, Armitage III, Ghost In The Shell verges on perfect. This is a classic, so they didn't have all of the fancy digital techniques available to them that we have now, but even so the quality of the animation here is second to none.

Much like Cowboy Bebop, it really does a great job of establishing a solid atmosphere. You can practically feel the locations.

The plot is PERFECT, and this was well before any influence from The Matrix which so heavily influences most movies of it's kind these days.

3. Millennium Actress
This one keeps ya thinking, which is something I like. The twist in the end is brilliant. This is the OTHER anime that made me cry. The story-telling in this movie is grade A.

4. Miyazaki movies
I can't pick one. They are all brilliant. There's no big foozle that some heroic protagonist has to defeat. There's just a believable (in most cases) central character who is normally thrust into unusual circumstances and gorgeous, imaginative environments. He/she goes with the flow and takes life lessons away.

Miyazaki movies are magical. I can't even describe why. I can't find these qualities anywhere else, as I don't think anyone else has the genius that he did. he will be sorely missed in the world of anime...

So there you have it. A long-winded sampling of what appeals to me.

I like fantasy. I like sci-fi. I like comedy. I like adventure.

I like movies that make me think.

I like deep characters.

What have you got for me?

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Full metal alchemist
FMA: Brother hood
FMA Movie: Conquerer of shambala (spelling?)

The remake of Evangelion and the Movie is good

Ergo Proxy is amazing
Blood+
Escaflowne (amazing)
Dragon ball z (long, sometimes lame, brings me back to my younger days)
Gundam Wing
Macross
Robotech
Full Metal Panic
GunGRAVE
7 Samurai
Death Note
And if you like cars, then you'll like Initial D

And if you want some ones i watched when i was younger:
Sailor moon (series)
My neighbour totoro (movie, amazing!)
Kiki's delivery service

And my all time favourite. Nausicaa and the valley of the wind(movie, seen this a million times since birth)

-----

The only anime i actually own is Love Hina (hehehe), i just download the rest because anime is really expensive here. I also recommend Fruits Basket if you like semi-love stories =p, i loved the manga. had them all
edit on 17/6/12 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I don't understand how people just like anime in general. It's Japanese animation, each one has a completely different storyline and aren't related in any way. It's like saying you love everything made in America.
edit on 17-6-2012 by SpearMint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
watch the Ninja Scroll movie for sure, not sure about the series though I haven't gotten around to watching that yet, but the movie is awesome! One of the best.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arekoteya
watch the Ninja Scroll movie for sure, not sure about the series though I haven't gotten around to watching that yet, but the movie is awesome! One of the best.

Thanks for reminding me about samurais.

Samurai Deeper Kyo
Rurouni Kenshin
Ninja scroll
Afro Samurai (love the anime in this, very well done show)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SpearMint

haha!! you so funny.
anime is not simply any japanese animation, friend.
"In Western countries, anime refers to a style of animation originating in Japan, characterized by colorful graphics and often featuring themes intended for an adult audience.[1] The intended meaning of the word 'anime' sometimes varies, depending on the context, and does not necessarily define all examples of animation produced in Japan.[2]"
-from the wiki article.
the name comes from japanese slang for animation, but in conventional terms it refers to a very specific style of adult-oriented subject matter and storytelling. any anime fan worth there salt knows that we're not talking about hello kitty when we say anime!

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Arekoteya

movie is better than the series, but if that feudal-fantasy subgenre is for you, then the series is def worth a watch.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MyrTheSeeker

well, you've already listed most of my favorites, and the first reply had the rest of them. the only one i missed was Princess Mononoke. it's like if akira was a medieval fantasy epic. the ending reminds me of akira the way things escalate quickly and get way out of control. but the characters are rich and well crafted and you end up giving a crap about the forest spirits. great nature vs. industry themes.

ETA: well, if you like Miyazaki, then you've probably already seen PM. I have contributed nothing! thanks for all the great recommendations, anyway!
edit on 17-6-2012 by RicoMarston because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by RicoMarston

haha!! you so funny.
anime is not simply any japanese animation, friend.
"In Western countries, anime refers to a style of animation originating in Japan, characterized by colorful graphics and often featuring themes intended for an adult audience.[1] The intended meaning of the word 'anime' sometimes varies, depending on the context, and does not necessarily define all examples of animation produced in Japan.[2]"
-from the wiki article.
the name comes from japanese slang for animation, but in conventional terms it refers to a very specific style of adult-oriented subject matter and storytelling. any anime fan worth there salt knows that we're not talking about hello kitty when we say anime!

My point still stands. It's not an explicit genre, I know exactly what it is and used to be a fan of a couple of animes. Japanese animation was a simplified definition, but I'm right and you just confirmed that.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
If you liked Ghost in the Shell, definitely check out Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade, it's also created by Mamoru Oshii and a really great movie

In my oppinion a great anime show, with also a very good storyline is Queen Milennia (Shin Taketori Monogatari: Sennen Joō) and if you like Sci-Fi, check out some other good shows/animes from Leiji Matsumoto like Arcadia of my Youth (Waga Seishun no Arukadia - It's a time travelling, Sci-Fi show, starting in World War 1 going to WW2 and then into the 30th Century), all of his Space Battleship Yamato stuff and The Galaxy Railways (Ginga Tetsudō Monogatari)

Also: XXXHolic is a very interesting seinen (so it targets a more adult audience compared to raito noberu with a bit more sophisticated themes) manga/anime series. I highly recommend it.
There's also a movie for it called XXXHolic: A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes (Ginga Eiyū Densetsu) is a very long (110 episodes) show but it's worth it. Great storyline, great character, again quite sophisticated for japanese anime

RIN ~Daughters of Mnemosyne should be also be something for your.

Bubblegum Crisis: Tokyo 2040 is also worth checking out.

Hellsing is a must

And if you don't have a problem with quite a lot of gore and blood, check out Blood: The last Vampire and the later released series Blood+
Same goes for Elfenlied, it's a great series

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Oddly enough I used to watch a lot of anime in my younger years. I liked 2 in particular:
1. Trinity Blood
2. Berserk

Then there was one that most people loved, and while I enjoyed the story line, I found some of the scenes disturbing:
1. Gantz

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I guess I just don't see your point. Have you ever heard of somebody being a Bollywood fan? like, they like the "kinds" and "types" of movies the Indian films industry produces? I know a few people from europe who are fans of U.S. video games over Japanese or even euro games.

I personally like Samurai Champloo and Trigun just the same. the story lines are wildly divergent but the art style, action scenes and general themes are similar. It's nothing like saying "i like everything from america" it'd be like saying "i like american rock and roll music." just within what we would consider rock and roll are myriad subgenres and different influences, but it all has that "rock and roll vibe" to it. if you don't believe that anime is a specific style, go watch Avatar; the Last Airbender and then read up on the creators and what inspired them. the comedy timing, the life lessons, the action scenes... all straight out of japanese anime.

maybe i'm wrong or maybe it's just a western thing, but i don't think anyone thinks of japanese children's cartoons when they think of anime. i certainly don't.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn

Oddly enough I used to watch a lot of anime in my younger years. I liked 2 in particular:
1. Trinity Blood
2. Berserk

Then there was one that most people loved, and while I enjoyed the story line, I found some of the scenes disturbing:
1. Gantz

that's the name i couldn't think of; GANTZ-suh!
one of those shows where the idea for the show is better than the show itself, but thought-provoking enough to at least watch a few eps.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
You should watch Tri-gun. It's a space-western action anime. Heh, it's awesome.

From wikipedia:

Known for its Space Western theme, Trigun is about a man named "Vash the Stampede" and the two Bernardelli Insurance Society employees who follow him around in order to minimize the damages inevitably caused by his appearance. Most of the damage attributed to Vash is actually caused by bounty hunters in pursuit of the "60,000,000,000$$" (sixty billion "double dollars") bounty on Vash's head for the destruction of the city of July. However, he cannot remember the incident clearly due to his amnesia. Throughout his travels, Vash tries to save lives using non-lethal force. He is occasionally joined by a priest, Nicholas D. Wolfwood, who, like Vash, is a superb gunfighter with a mysterious past.

As the series progresses, we learn more about Vash's mysterious history and the history of human civilization on the planet Gunsmoke. The series often employs comic relief and is mostly light-hearted although its tone shifts toward darker and more dramatic situations as the series draws to a conclusion. The story line also involves moral conflict pertaining to the morality of killing other living things.

I didn't out the link because I didn't want to spoil it. Lolz, I haven't finished it, yet, but, so far I really like it. It's pretty funny, but still serious at the same time.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by RicoMarston

Originally posted by MyMindIsMyOwn

1. Trinity Blood
2. Berserk

1. Gantz

that's the name i couldn't think of; GANTZ-suh!
one of those shows where the idea for the show is better than the show itself, but thought-provoking enough to at least watch a few eps.

The Live Action Movie GANTZ and GANTZ 2 are much better than the anime. It was so incredibly well done, and they even have an English Dubbed option, although many purists prefer to have the subtitles.

As for Anime, I enjoyed Inuyasha, and will be waching Inuyasha: The Final Act when it comes out in October.
edit on 17-6-2012 by DJM8507 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I've been watching "Highschool of the Dead" on netflix and the animation is, well, gratuitous when it comes to the females.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I like to watch some funny ones now and again to break away from the serious ones. Yakitate!! Japan is one of my favorite ones. It's about a bread making competition...but give it a chance lol. It gets pretty crazy.

ETA: Fairy Tail or Soul Eater are pretty good too. My husband got me hooked on those two.
edit on 17-6-2012 by angrymomma because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Vampire Hunter D
Ninja Scoll
Highschool of the Dead.
God Killer
Fist of the North Star
My other favs have been covered by other post.
Ghost in the shell is the best hands down.
From artwork to story line it's the amazing.
Very few movies of any genre can compete with it.
Even the t.v. series was great.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Metropolis is probably my favorite anime movie, hands down.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Thanks for the lengthy reply! I'd be interested in hearing what you like about these shows.

Full metal alchemist
FMA: Brother hood
FMA Movie: Conquerer of shambala (spelling?)

I watched several episodes of Full Metal Alchemist. It actually had a pretty interesting premise, if I remember correctly, but it must not have held my attention... I can't remember any real specifics about it outside of the fact that his brother's soul it trapped in a suit of armor. I don't even remember how far into it I was, which doesn't say much for a running plot-line... I hope it didn't turn out to be one of those shows who's only progressive plot element is the need to travel from one town to another (read: Pokemon) with random encounters thrown in as McGuffins.

All that being said, my memory isn't what it used to be, so I may have to give it a second look.

The remake of Evangelion and the Movie is good

Is it a different story, or just updated art or something? I'd really like to know more about this from someone who's seen it.

Ergo Proxy is amazing

I remember hearing about this already. Checking it out on Anime News Network right now. I think this one is going on my list

Blood+

I have Blood The Last Vampire, which I actually enjoyed, but I'm not sure there was enough there for an ongoing plot, and the creature design was relatively boring. I did like the setting on Okinawa, as I'm a USAF member myself. Is Blood+ a series based off of the movie?

Escaflowne (amazing)

This one gets bandied around quite a bit. It must not be all that bad. I didn't care for the art style if I remember, but if the story's good that can be overlooked. Can you tell me what you like about it? It looks like more mechs, though
Convince me

Dragon ball z (long, sometimes lame, brings me back to my younger days)

Oh hell no. I could be convinced to watch this series in my youth before I had critical thinking, or anything at all to do with my time, but I really don't think I could be bothered to suffer through episode after mind-numbing episode of 3 minutes worth of story stretched out for 30 agonizing minutes...

Gundam Wing

Shiny mechs.

Macross

Shiny mechs.

Robotech

Matte mechs.

Full Metal Panic

I've also heard a lot about this. Can you tell me why you recommend it?

GunGRAVE

I've seen this one. It was entertaining, but didn't make it to my tops
I did enjoy spending time with it though. Never had to convince myself to load up the next episode. I'd recommend it to others.

7 Samurai

I have a good friend who also recommended this to me, and he's the same guy who got me to watch Wolf's Rain, so I value his opinion. I guess it's loosely based on The Magnificent Seven (an old Western movie with a group of unlikely, and bad-ass, heroes that safe a small town from a gang)?

I had forgotten about it. Would you recommend it over Ergo Proxy or Escaflowne? How would you rank it in terms of priority?

Death Note

Ah yes, I watched quite a few of these when they were on Hulu. It started out very interesting!

I think it fell into an unfortunate rut though. After a while it lost a good running plot line and gut stuck in a "problem of the day" routine. Hopefully it pulled out of it, and added some new element after a while, but I gave it quite a few episodes to change my mind before I got bored.

It really is worth a watch, at least until he bests his first nemesis anyway.

And if you like cars, then you'll like Initial D

Not for me, but I read a good review in Play magazine once.

And if you want some ones i watched when i was younger:
Sailor moon (series)
My neighbour totoro (movie, amazing!)
Kiki's delivery service

Can't deal with the Sailor Moon, although I gotta give it credit for it's place in old-school pop culture.

The other two are Miyazaki movies, which I said I adore. They are the epitome of perfection in anime! My sons watch Totoro constantly

And my all time favourite. Nausicaa and the valley of the wind(movie, seen this a million times since birth)

Another excellent Miyazaki movie!

The only anime i actually own is Love Hina (hehehe), i just download the rest because anime is really expensive here. I also recommend Fruits Basket if you like semi-love stories =p, i loved the manga. had them all

Love Hina does sound like the basis for a lot of laughs
I generally don't purchase the fluffy anime, but I might look at getting my hands on a few episodes for a test-run.

Actually I remember Fruits Basket getting some pretty positive reviews. What are your thoughts on it? Good and bad.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join