It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How stupid do they think we are???... Or how stupid are we?????

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Forget about gas...thats a given. BUT...you use to buy a can of vegetables from Aldi..the cheapest place in my area...two years ago,,,,,for 39 cents. It's 59 cents now with 1 third water. A can of corn...drain the water...you got two thirds a can of corn...same with greens beans and carrots or mixed veggies. Buy a BIC lighter...use to last three months...might last a month for a smoker.....bottle of propane for your grill..??? $17.00 here in S.C. 13 lbs of gas!!!! Use to be 18.00 for 20 lb!!!! Buy 5lbs "yeh" of potatoes for about 3.49....now 4.49....weigh it! Its 3.5 to 4 lbs! I did! It's all about the rich keeping their income while we get less!~ Think I am lieing? Weigh it yourself! We are being ripped everywhich way but loose and can't do a damned thing if we wanna eat! It's time for the workers out there to stand up and say " we in AMERICA wanna be honest!" a penny for a pound and a penney for a days work!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by burningbelief
Forget about gas...thats a given. BUT...you use to buy a can of vegetables from Aldi..the cheapest place in my area...two years ago,,,,,for 39 cents. It's 59 cents now with 1 third water. A can of corn...drain the water...you got two thirds a can of corn...same with greens beans and carrots or mixed veggies. Buy a BIC lighter...use to last three months...might last a month for a smoker.....bottle of propane for your grill..??? $17.00 here in S.C. 13 lbs of gas!!!! Use to be 18.00 for 20 lb!!!! Buy 5lbs "yeh" of potatoes for about 3.49....now 4.49....weigh it! Its 3.5 to 4 lbs! I did! It's all about the rich keeping their income while we get less!~ Think I am lieing? Weigh it yourself! We are being ripped everywhich way but loose and can't do a damned thing if we wanna eat! It's time for the workers out there to stand up and say " we in AMERICA wanna be honest!" a penny for a pound and a penney for a days work!

I don't think it's every can,but some of the cans. Anyways I've bought Del Monte creamed corn, and there was no corn in it, it was almost all creme, and pieces that looked like corn, but you couldn't say for sure.

Del Monte, I want all my garmonbozia.
edit on 16-6-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
i have been noticing this too!

something really sneaky and bad is going on!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I noticed this first in bags of chips. You buy a bag that's a little over halfway full, and the top is air. So it looks like it has much more than it actually does. Almost everything that you can't see through does this.. the exceptions are like, peanut butter, honey, water, where its clear so you see what your getting otherwise you often get ripped.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I have noticed this too. Coffee is a big offender. Then there are the cereal boxes, the crackers. The list goes on and on once you really begin to look!

You may be on to something with the idea that it is the holders of capital that are trying to keep their equilibrium and profit margin intact.

I have always thought that the reason that prices have always gone up throughout my life when the economy was having difficulty was pretty much for that same reason, but I think that those whose lives are overly concerned with their wealth have a tendency to do calculations to ensure that the amount of money they take in is equivalent to the corresponding drop in the value of the dollar.

What does it matter to them that we all must pay more just so they can keep their wealth that they constantly fret over?

I don't really know just how much "stupid" comes into play for either camp. (Them or We) I am certain that both Greed and Fear drive this from the "they" side. For "we" we pay what we have to for those things we believe we need, don't we?

I do appreciate how stable prices were through that manufactured oil crunch a few years back, until I noticed that I was paying the same, but for less. So I guess that we aren't ALL in it together are we? Just you and me but not the "they".
edit on 17-6-2012 by akalepos because: more thought

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I think it's time people learned to get back to growing there own food, canning there own food,

Use what you produce to feed yourself, and the excess if it can't be stored for long periods, sell to your local community for half of what it costs at the store.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I've noticed some of these shenanigans. The amount of food per container seems to go down every 10 years. Look at the bottoms of jars and beverages? See that indent? That's to screw you out of a few cents, and make the company millions.

You best hush up about propane. If it's really that cheap there you're lucky. 5lbs. fill up is well over twenty bucks here. Also, I smoke a pack a day and if anything lighters seem to last longer now. I have't replaced mine in 5 months.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by mytheroy
I think it's time people learned to get back to growing there own food, canning there own food,

Use what you produce to feed yourself, and the excess if it can't be stored for long periods, sell to your local community for half of what it costs at the store.

I agree, but it seems that this is becoming illegal in some areas if you have paid attention to the boards here.
edit on 17-6-2012 by akalepos because: missing word

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
No, you are only getting what you pay for. The dollar is worth less so expect smaller content as our money becomes nothing.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by wardk28
No, you are only getting what you pay for. The dollar is worth less so expect smaller content as our money becomes nothing.

So should I look forward to empty coffee cans at 10.00 a pop? hehehe

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Actually that curved indent is there to help keep the bottom from fracturing and to allow for the possibility of expansion during shipment.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I thought this was common knowledge that the producers put a little less in the package and charge a little more. All this in an effort to keep up with inflation, which actually means to keep profits surpassing inflation. In this way they pass along the cost of inflation and their rising profit margins without making it too obvious at the checkout.

The problem is, when does the contents become too small to sell?

No matter how stupid they think we are, or how stupid we actually are, at some point we will see that they are just selling packaging.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by burningbelief

As you keep buying those products, are about a good year behind the cutve in noticing this, and are doing nothing to change it; I'd say you're the dummy.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Where have you people been?
This type of product down sizing has been going on since the late 60's, I'm sure it's been longer than that but that's as far as I can remember.
Nothing new kids

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by KeliOnyx

I'm looking at a bottle of juice and there is a 2 inch indent. Other juice bottles don't have this. Same with many other foods. Some are very extreme.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
The "half gallon" of Orange Juice in my fridge is actually 1.8 quarts.

The coffee I was talking about is now 2lbs 1.9 oz from a 3 lb can.

I believe it was 2 1/2 lbs for awhile.

The old 1 lb spaghetti noodles box is now 13.25 oz.

It just goes on.
edit on 17-6-2012 by akalepos because: more info

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Where have you people been?
This type of product down sizing has been going on since the late 60's, I'm sure it's been longer than that but that's as far as I can remember.
Nothing new kids

I thought they had put a stop to that after the uproar "our" parents put up back then and it had settled down for quite awhile.

But here we are again.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

There is no uniformity in dimensions. It is against the federal law to misrepresent the volume of a container. Those indents on your juice bottles are to allow for contractions due to heat and cold. The back of a semi that they are sent in is not typically insulated or air conditioned and get very hot or cold inside depending on the climate it is in. . And most warehouses usually are not air conditioned and not usually well heated in the winter. As for the little notches in Pepsi 2-liters they were always like that you just didn't see it because they put a heavier plastic ring over it.

Anything shipped in glass or plastic always has had a curvature in the bottom to help prevent breakage. And it is downright kind of fun to see jars of spaghetti sauce explode because it got too hot in the warehouse. Not so much fun to clean up.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
my favorite rip off is the frozen whipped marshmallows that is all air and they call it ice cream.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
My grandmother won't stop saying that toilet paper rolls don't take as much space on the holder as they used to.

Remember Hershey's Air Delights?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join