It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Belief in UFOs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I just wanted to take a quick poll/question.

How many of you here are atheist and believe in UFOs/don't believe in UFOs.

I saw a scientist on TV today arguing that atheism is the belief in science and rationality. Someone in the audience asked him if he believed in UFOs. He stated "No because there is 0 evidence of UFOs. Anyone who believe is lying to themselves."

I remember hearing the same from Richard Dawkins, Steven Novella, Susan Blackmore, James Randi, etc.

So how many of you guys believe in UFOs? And why do you believe in UFOs when there is no evidence of such thing?

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by someguy0083

You must be confused...UFOs exist, do you even know what that stands for? Something is in the sky and someone cant identify it = UFO. You must mean extraterrestrials...do people believe in outside life. If so, than the answer is yes I believe, we have no idea how big the universe is, and how many planets there are. We know that our planet only supports life because of how close we are to the sun and our atmosphere and such. Well who knows if thats what it takes for life to develop in other places of the universe? No one knows, and to think about the possibly millions of planets out there, to say 'we are the only ones' is completely ridiculous.
edit on 16-6-2012 by SGTSECRET because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
While it is true that 99% of all UFO reports are false, fake, nonsense, mis-interpretations etc....there is still the 1% of all reports which come from credible sources like pilots etc.

So...yes there is "evidence" that UFOs exist, the scientist is simply wrong. However, we do not have PROOF.

I recommend you read

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1339731549&sr=8-1&keywords=ufos

and also watch that documentary which goes with it, stay away from the fringe books/movies like conspiracy related, contactee, new-age etc. There is still PLENTY of hard "evidence" that something odd is going on once you filter out all the garbage from the more serious reports.

When a pilot with 40 years of experience in all seriousness gives a honest and solid report of that he saw something ordinary - and there is no rational explanation and no doubt about the credibility of such a witness, then such a report deserves more attention as some "scientist's" claim "there is no evidence".
edit on 16-6-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
There is no known physical evidence to show that aliens exist. If there is, it is being hidden by whoever took possession of it. Which is doubtful but not entirely implausible. Very implausible that there is a massive campaign to cover such a thing, given how many people would have to be involved and how many generations have been around since the whole alien issue came to light.

That being said, UFOs are unidentified flying objects, so whether or not UFOs exist is not even up for debate. As they are a classifier for something seen in the sky that is unknown.

Aliens on the other hand have not been proven and remain in the "belief" category.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   

How many of you here are atheist and believe in UFOs/don't believe in UFOs.

As SGTSECRET pointed out, your premise is a little off, but still the question is worth the time...

As with religion, the label of Agnostic comes to mind, as I don't know if ET is out there, but the possibility is there, so I dismiss neither until proved otherwise....

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   

The scientist on the TV show heard 'UFO' and probably thought 'space-aliens.' For all we know, the person who asked the question actually meant 'aliens' when they said 'UFO.'

A lot of our problems with these subjects start the same way. On ATS, if someone describes themself as atheist people hear debunker, anti-religion and scientific dogmatist. If someone describes a belief in UFOs some folk hear doe-eyed believer without any ability for rational thinking - an idiot.

I think people draw imaginary lines between these supposed groups when it comes to UFOs. They try to make it a battle between one perspective and another and make people take sides.

Unidentified flying objects exist and it's irrational of people to think that these two belief-systems alter the fact. If an object streaks across the sky, its existence is not dependent on what observers believe. Until it's 'identified' as a bolide, meteor, aircraft etc - it's a UFO.

Of the more unusual reports (Tehran or maybe Operation Mainbrace), neither the objects nor the radars were influenced by whether or not the witnesses believed in evidence of their existence.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 04:59 AM
link   
There may be little to no scientific evidence that ETs exist but to say there is no evidence for UFOs is ridiculus and anyone who says so is ignorant and not even tried looking.

I believe because of all of the credible witness testimony from astronauts, ex military, radar operators and pilots. All of the sightings from the public. Some of the trace evidence that has been left behind on occasion and all of the government documents that have been declassified or leaked. And on top of that i have my gut feeling that something incredible is happening. You cant look at all of these things and say nothing is happening.

Think about it, only one person out of the thousands that have come forward has to be telling the truth

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
i don't believe in god, the idea is ludicrous to me, my catholic boarding school background tells me that.

i do however believe that extra terrestrials exist. i have an aviation background and i've seen loads of ufos. my personal belief is that they're piloted (in some part) by extra terrestrials.

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

I am a believer in God and of aliens and of ufo's!

Personal Disclosure: And none of them require facts to be BELIEVED IN!

Here is why ..

Facts are KNOWN and have nothing to do with faith, which IS the realm of belief.

Don't let ANYONE change your beliefs ok as they do not have to conform to reality at any level.

As for those so called skeptics ... they need to go back to philosophy 101 and realize they can't prove a god damned thing WITHOUT invoking a-priori conditions and getting a collective agreement on that 1st.

Here is why ...

posted on Jun, 17 2012 @ 06:26 AM
link   
I believe that many other civilizations exist in our Galaxy , I know UFOs are a real phenomena as they have been well documented for decades and reported for even longer , I hope some UFOs are Extraterrestrial visitors monitoring life on this planet but have no evidence to prove that is the case ... the search goes on

I'm Agnostic when it comes to religion , there may well be a creative intelligence behind the Universe but I don't believe the vision we have of a God is the right one , we are but a grain of sand on a sandy beach .

edit on 17-6-2012 by gortex because: edit to edit

top topics

join