It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Generally Support the Police, but This One?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The article is short enough that I've posted the whole thing. Charlotte Tasering

DORCHESTER COUNTY, S.C. (CBS Charlotte) – Don’t tase the nude 80-year-old woman, bro.

Police in Dorchester County, S.C., used a Taser on a nude 80-year-old woman after she allegedly attempted to attack police with her walking stick. WCSC reports that when police answered a complaint of someone making loud noises in the area, they were met by an elderly woman wearing no clothes on her porch, reportedly hitting the steps of her porch with her cane.

According to police, the woman, who spoke “confusingly,” began to swing her cane at the officers when police tried to take it away from the nude woman. As police continued to talk the woman out of swinging her cane at them, another officer used his Taser on the woman’s back. The woman was immediately transported to a nearby medical facility for treatment.

When police investigated the area, they discovered that the woman, a former tenant, had broken three windows at the property after the owner attempted to give the deposit back to the woman.

WCSC reports that no charges were filed against the woman despite the $250 worth of property damage.

There were at least two officers, with one behind her. I think I could have subdued her without risk to anyone. I know I could have back in the day.

Were they afraid of a concealed weapon? Will they be mocked out of the force, or fired?

I've always tried to come up with a justification for a Tasering, but I can't see any reason here. Please, some one, give me a possible explantion that doesn't make the police look like, well, you know.

I know I'm supposed to post a lot of my personal comments, but it's slow typing with one hand scratching my head. Just thought you guys would like to know about this one.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Minimum 20 years in jail for those scumbags.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Alot of cops.are plain pusses, whether it be an 80yr old woman, or a friendly dog. They are willing to take anything that moves.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I've heard that many 80 year old women with canes belong to gangs......so better safe than sorry no? /sarcasm

I hope this story goes viral so these "officers" can be embarrassed on a national level. Absolutely disgraceful.
edit on 15-6-2012 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

L
L

it's a conditioned reflex

the enablers and justifiers

will soon disabuse you of the notion that this old lady armed with a deadly ninja cane
represented no danger

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger

L
L

it's a conditioned reflex

the enablers and justifiers

will soon disabuse you of the notion that this old lady armed with a deadly ninja cane
represented no danger

Seriously. "We don't know all the circumstances!" they'll cry. "There are two sides to every story. We didn't see everything that happened, so we can't really say the police were in the wrong!"

For Christ's sake, my neighbor's 7-year-old daughter could bare-handedly disarm an 80-year-old woman--naked or not!

edit on 6/15/2012 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I almost wish it was a simple case of brutality. You know, one officer on a force who suddenly and inexplicably goes nuts. That I could understand. My fear is that it's just a conditioned reflex. Are they trained to Tase anyone who doesn't give instant obedience? Is that how people are made slaves, by pain conditioning? Warning: obvious statement follows. This just isn't right.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
These police offices are scared and have either too much mercury, fluoride or some other mental inhibitor in their brain to stop common sense and reason while acting on more primitive and by the book methods of conflict resolution. As the legal system has continued to grow with more and more regulation it has bypassed common human capabilities in understand and recognition of this mountain of paper work. As such more simpler and inhuman ways of confronting issues presented to police are replacing our basic morals and values that helped hold social order in the past.

With America self inflicting 9/11 to undertake illegal wars it has set the tone of the culture to one that is about force and conflict as basic human decency is no longer valued and considered a weakness. It is not only the police undertaking such abuses of power but many sectors of society. To get out of this descending self destruction the truth does need to be made the primary priority or else the growing circle of lies will drag us all down.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Grandma was on Bath Salts, it's obvious. She was fixen to munch down on some pork rinds and they did the only thing they could.

God bless their souls.

Just because we're old and grey, doesn't mean we'll go away!!!!!!

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Dear kwakakev,

Thanks for the reply, may I ask a question or two?

These police offices are scared and . . .
Of what could they have been afraid? Granted it may very well have been an unpleasant sight, would it have been threatening or frightening?

Are you saying that nearly any amount of stress associated with their work, combined with whatever chemicals we have in our systems, drove them temporarily insane? Or at least filled them with a violent rage?

It also seems that you are saying that police work is now so complicated that officers are just giving up common sense and beating or shooting in more and more situations. Is that what you meant?

With America self inflicting 9/11 to undertake illegal wars it has set the tone of the culture to one that is about force and conflict as basic human decency is no longer valued and considered a weakness. It is not only the police undertaking such abuses of power but many sectors of society. To get out of this descending self destruction the truth does need to be made the primary priority or else the growing circle of lies will drag us all down.
Here, unfortunately, I am unable to follow you. On the surface, I am unable to see any truth or usefulness in these statements. I'm sure I must be misunderstanding you.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Of what could they have been afraid? Granted it may very well have been an unpleasant sight, would it have been threatening or frightening?

As tazers are becoming standard equipment, this is what their training is focusing on instead of the more traditional ways of self defence. With a lack of experience in hand to hand techniques, risks and capabilities these officers sound like they have no confidence or capability with more reasonable ways to handle such situations. Their main fear appears to be within themselves and are just not cut out for a role in law enforcement.

Are you saying that nearly any amount of stress associated with their work, combined with whatever chemicals we have in our systems, drove them temporarily insane? Or at least filled them with a violent rage?

Tests will need to be done to confirm or deny if some poisoning or toxicity has taken place, but it maybe part of the problem and just putting out some ideas. With the environmental destruction taking place the world is slowly becoming a chemical waste dump. Some people will have better resistance than others, but such actions are not uncommon so there is some greater environmental factor at play.

It also seems that you are saying that police work is now so complicated that officers are just giving up common sense and beating or shooting in more and more situations. Is that what you meant?

Yes, the basic principle behind law in establishing a sense of fairness is fading as more and more clamp down with the patriot act and other big brother acts tries to limit or profit of what we do. The law is gradually turning into a corporate battle ground rather than establishing a simple code of civility.

Here, unfortunately, I am unable to follow you. On the surface, I am unable to see any truth or usefulness in these statements. I'm sure I must be misunderstanding you.

You made it this far so you must be aware that the media does lie. If not you better sit down while you watch this video.google.com...# . The point I am trying to make is in how the American culture is changing from the free world, supporters of democracy and the land of opportunity into a police state, rife with corruption where only strong survive. The opportunistic nature of the corporations as they have gained control of government is attacking a lot of the basic morals and values that where so important to your nation becoming strong. As such, police brutality and over reaction is just one of many side effects that are emerging.

top topics

join