It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: 'Forest Boy' story is a hoax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Berlin (CNN) -- The story of the so-called Forest Boy -- a riddle that has perplexed people in Germany and elsewhere for months -- is a lie, police in Germany said Friday. The 20-year-old hoaxer, who claimed he was 17 and lived in the German woods for five years, is actually from Hengelo, in the Netherlands. He never lived in the forest and made his way to Berlin some time last year, police said. He had been declared missing in September when he was 19. But because he was an adult and could determine where he wanted to live, there was no further investigation by Dutch authorities, police in Germany said. Police say the man has admitted his story is a lie and confirmed his identity. He will have to leave a Berlin city youth home since he is not under age. The hoax ended after German police released a photograph of who they said was a 17-year-old known only as "Ray" who turned up at Berlin City Hall last year after claiming to have been living in the woods for five years.

I think we all saw this coming from a mile away. The story was too absurd and lacking in details to take seriously in my opinion. It was also fairly obvious that it was a hoax considering the mans not seeming to care about his past. Thanks for wasting everyone's time and taxpayer money dude. I do wonder what sparked his strange story. I suppose he was trying to start his life over, and figured getting some money for free from the German govt. was as good a place as any to start.

Link

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I fully expect this miscreant to be deported back to his country of origin, tried and imprisoned for fraud, wasting police time, and his family, wherever they are, should be charged for the costs involved in this case.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
It took them long enough, I remember hearing this a while back. No one stepped forward claiming to know him earlier? I imagine he would have been on the media at some point.
edit on 15-6-2012 by kat2684 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I guess he hoaxed everyone to get free room and board?? I bet he didn't expect so much publicity for the story he told.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I figured it was a hoax when I first heard of it a couple of days ago.

Something similar happened in British Columbia with two brothers who were runaways from somewhere in the US.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

I don't remember that one but am not surprised. It seems like wasted effort, if they put you in the news someone is bound to recognize you eventually.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Fifth Estate did a program on them. They were from California, and it was interesting .

www.cbc.ca...

As soon as I watched the news about the German boy, it reminded me of this story, and I wondered if it was a "copycat" scenario.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

Thanks for the link! Does smack of a copycat scenario.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
here's a link to my thread,
started back when "Wild Boy"
as I like to call him, first turned up...

I knew this was Bogus

just can't believe it took Gerry
a year to figure it out

new topics

top topics

join