It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White, heterosexual, & handicapped month

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I've had it. I'm sick and tired of all these months being cordoned off to honor skin colors and sexual orientations.
Where will it end?
Here is the article about the Pentagon honoring Gay Pride Month:
www.newser.com...

This is gay pride month at the Pentagon. With gays and lesbians now allowed to serve openly, the military has decided to mark the month just as it marks celebrations honoring other groups, reports AP. Defense Department officials say that the details are still being worked out, but the military plans to soon hold its first event ever honoring the contributions of gay service members.

So, now the month of June is set aside to honor those attracted to their own gender?!?!
Why?
I guess the question is Why not?
Months are set aside to honor skin colors, so why not sexual orientations?
It's getting totally absurd.
Mothers, fathers, and grandparents get one day out of the year. Even those who have died for our country get one day. But if you're black or homosexual, you get an entire month. Lucky for you, if you're black AND homosexual, you get two months!

Am I the only one who sees this as absolute absurdity?
Why are we honoring the history of certain skin colors and sexual orientations?
Why not just set aside one day like mothers and fathers (life givers) get? Why not just one week?
Why an entire month?

What about honoring those who were born with birth defects for the month? Why is there not an entire month set aside to educate people who have to live with physical and/or mental challenges everry day of their lives? After all, it would take an entire month to cover all birth defects and educate "normal" people about what radiation, alcohol, or drug addiction does to future generations? Like we're seeing in the news recently about doctors doing genetic testing on unborn babies, why not start educating people about these terrible afflictions?
Oh, that's right. If you don't see them, they don't exist.
How would blacks and homosexuals feel about it if they were part of the "don't see 'em, they don't exist crowd"?

There is truly something wrong with the way the human race is forced to think and why/how our "leaders" decide who gets an entire month dedicated to honoring certain members of society and it makes me sick!

What about Albino month? Or Spina bifida month? Or Autism Month? Or radiation sickness/mutated gene month? Or alcoholism/crack baby month?
No. We can't have that. Instead, we'd rather set aside a month for those born half white and half black, then we'll set aside a month for bisexuals.

I don't give a rat's ass what your skin color is or who you want to do it with.
If you had any self respect, you would get together and demand that you lose your month long honoring and be treated the same as mothers, fathers, grandparents, and veterans and get ONE DAY.
Let's be honest with each other. Your skin color and sexual orientation don't make you any better than the next person and it certainly doesn't make you any better than the person/people who gave you life, liberty, and the freedom to live your life as you are today.

/Rant over

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

To get votes for the upcoming election.

Really....could there be any other reason?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

I wish it were that simple, but I feel that there is a much deeper and darker agenda at work here.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Please tell more. What do you think the deeper and darker agenda's are?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Well, in all honesty, the true minorities are the albinos and American indians, so it strikes me as strange that there are no months honoring these people in society.
Just look at how we treated the indians when America was founded, then look at how albinos in Africa are treated.
Months are supposedly set aside to educate, yet has anything really changed?
We're seeing more race friction today than we've seen in decades, so Black History Month should be seen as a failure.
Now, fast forward to today in regards to Homosexual Awareness Month. Are we really going to see any huge changes in the next fifty years? I don't think so. Everything is cyclical and certan groups of people will always hold their negative beliefs, then pass them onto their children and grandchildren keeping hate alive.
In conclusion, dedicating months to certain groups does nothing to further society. It actually seems to help the hate fester even more. Just look at the jokes surrounding February being the shortest and coldest month of the year. Since June has now been reserved for honoring homosexuals, are there going to be jokes about how this overlaps Father's Day?
It's difficult to explain how to keep animosity and ignorance alive, so I hope I'm explaining this right.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
So answer this, How in the heck does it affect you?
It doesn't now does it!
My advice is stop being so ignorant and work on the way you perceive the world
We are all the same, on the most simple level we are all humans.
The person down your road probably has no problem with the names of months, so why should you?
The environment you are in determines who you are, how about you break that pattern and open your mind a bit?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

Everything is cyclical and certan groups of people will always hold their negative beliefs, then pass them onto their children and grandchildren keeping hate alive.

Doesn't this seem a little condescending?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Newagekid2012

We are all the same, on the most simple level we are all humans.

So, we're in agreement that we need to scrap the month long honoring process.
Am I understanding you correctly?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Its to make sure that segments of the population feel special or heard. Keeps em quiet and appeals to their egos and everyone can pat eachother on the back. In a normal civilized world we would honor eachother daily... and not need the govt to tell us to be aware of homosexuals or those with handicaps.

Im one generation off the rez.... I definitely do NOT want a special day. Dont want it, dont need it, and resent being coddled and manipulated.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

THANK YOU!!!!

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

No you are not.
My point is pretty much "why the heck does it matter?"
Do you really want a month for everything?
What is there is a Albino Indian 1 year old addicted to crack? Does he get 3 months to himself?

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Or Spina bifida month?

October is National Spina Bifida Month

Or Autism Month?

National Autism Awareness Month

But these arent decided by government, or anyone in power at all.
These "months" are started by small groups, and politicians just attach themselves to it if it looks "popular" and a vote winner.

Like black or homosexual month.

"White" awareness month would never, under any circumstances be seen as anything a politician would want to be associated with. Because of course, thats racist.

edit on 15-6-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Newagekid2012

Do you really want a month for everything?
What is there is a Albino Indian 1 year old addicted to crack? Does he get 3 months to himself?

This is what I'm attempting to communicate.
It's ridiculous that months are set aside for any group in society. One day is more than enough for anybody -- if even that.
Just like Advantage said, it's just to make them shut up by creating the illusion that they're special.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Thanks for pointing out the month long dedications that go by unnoticed.
Just as I stated earlier, these months are a complete failure in regards to educating and enlightening.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Pantless chaps are much more comfortable in June than February.

Just sayin'. I love a parade.

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
You know its never really bothered me before and still doesnt really. The thing that does bother me is when Im riding the public bus I hear about how its racist that black people only get 1 month and that they should have no less than 3 months and that it should be during the summer and that white people (adults) should be forced to go to classes to learn about what they did to their ancestors. Thats just a tad annoying but you know how the public bus system is, a lot of anti white racism everyday but that depends on the city also. I just dont get what the big deal is... I dont know anyone who has been enslaved or enslaved others besides all of us that are enslaved to the rich nowadays

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
so, from the title of the post, you want to have a national Stephen Hawking month?

He's one of the greatest minds we have, they may actually go for it

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   
It can also be quite condescending and a means of silencing issues by compartmentalizing them.
When it's over it's a case of "You've had your month and issue, now bugger off!"
Little actually happens apart from some speeches, at least in SA when we have almost a month of activism against violence against women and children, or anti-tobacco day, or the "drive alive" campaigns around Easter and Christmas, when arrests for drunk driving and roadblocks are examined statistically in the media.
But it's all just a con.
The statistics never really change, and the rest of year it's all silent, but yet it gives the impression that "the authorities" are doing something.

In SA we've hardly had Woman's Day, then the days of activism against violence against women, then the year starts with International Woman's Day again, and then take a girl-child to work for women's day ...
Even the women's activists are sometimes cynical.
There's only so many crumbed prawns a poor woman can eat at all these functions!

But what really changes?
I'd say not much.
It's all just cosmetic.

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

So, now the month of June is set aside to honor those attracted to their own gender?!?!
Why?

It's actually pretty simple..What is the big battle right now? Gay Marriage
What month is traditionally considered to be "wedding month"? June

2+2 =4

How would blacks and homosexuals feel about it if they were part of the "don't see 'em, they don't exist crowd"?

Well, if anyone exemplifies that "group", it would definitely be the homosexuals. "Don't ask, don't tell"??? "In the closet"??? "As long as they don't act gay in public.."?? Yup, they pretty much started that group.

If it's something that everyone is supportive of and there is no bigotry and hatred, it gets a day. If it's something that is riddled with hatred, bigotry, violence, discrimination and so forth, it gets a month. It only takes a day to raise money to help find answers, it takes much longer to change hatred within the minds and hearts of people who lash out in violence.
edit on 16-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 16 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Well, in all honesty, the true minorities are the albinos and American indians, so it strikes me as strange that there are no months honoring these people in society.
Just look at how we treated the indians when America was founded, then look at how albinos in Africa are treated.
Months are supposedly set aside to educate, yet has anything really changed?

I agree with this portion

We're seeing more race friction today than we've seen in decades, so Black History Month should be seen as a failure.
Now, fast forward to today in regards to Homosexual Awareness Month. Are we really going to see any huge changes in the next fifty years? I don't think so. Everything is cyclical and certan groups of people will always hold their negative beliefs, then pass them onto their children and grandchildren keeping hate alive.
In conclusion, dedicating months to certain groups does nothing to further society. It actually seems to help the hate fester even more. Just look at the jokes surrounding February being the shortest and coldest month of the year. Since June has now been reserved for honoring homosexuals, are there going to be jokes about how this overlaps Father's Day?
It's difficult to explain how to keep animosity and ignorance alive, so I hope I'm explaining this right.

I disagree with this part.
Look at the race issue from 1962 until now (50 years). In the 60's, the KKK was still functioning and quite popular. Black people were still being lynched, they were still being told to stay out of businesses, they were still being denied basic human rights. Today, you can't do that. There is still a lot of anger and violence, but there are laws to protect them, they have the right to apply for the same jobs as white people do, they are equal citizens in every sense of the word. On individual levels, there are still hateful little racists on BOTH sides who constantly bicker and argue. But... In my little community, many of those people who were staunchly racists 50 years ago now have grandchildren who are mixed races. It has changed their attitude a LOT. They love their grandchildren and they learn to put their racists ideas behind them because of that love. The birth of a child, a child with their bloodline, helped to take the racism out of their hearts. Something did change. The racists are no longer the majority, they are the minority. ... just to be absolutely clear, there are still racists and they come from both ends of the spectrum. There are still whites who hate blacks and there are blacks who hate whites, but those numbers are dwindling in the general population.
Now to the homosexuals. For the first time in the history of our country, more than 50% of the population supports gay marriage and are accepting of homosexuals. That's a BIG increase from 50 years ago when it was around 10% of the population. That will continue to change and in another decade, being "gay" won't be a big thing at all. There will still be homophobes and bigoted hateful people and there will be homosexuals who hate "breeders" and that battle will rage on, but not to the degree of the entire population. It will be limited to individuals like racism is becoming.
Of course hate will always exist and there will be another group that pops up for everyone to pile their hate on, but it won't be these two groups. They went through their battle and are coming out on the other side. There will always be individuals but those individuals are becoming fewer and fewer on both sides of each issue.
Perhaps all that December 2012 will bring is another group to take prominance in the battle of hatred. Another group that isn't "human" for all the humans who harbor hatred to start attacking and it will bring us together as "the human race". It could be aliens, sentient animals, just about anything that is "different" from what we say we believe.
As a child, I would keep my siblings from fighting with one another by making them both mad at me. I couldn't care less if they were mad at me and it settled their squabbles, so I gave them the "common enemy" that brought them together. That is what it takes for people to drop their differences and work together... unfortunately.

edit on 16-6-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join