It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humanity escapes the solar system: Voyager 1 signals that it has reached the edge of interstellar sp

page: 12
<< 9  10  11   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

No , I'm simply saying you are acting like a child.

Oh my... This is golden. Sorry but I am not the one who posted the following :

Your Canadian and your argueing with an (American) about NASA an( American agency). Sorry my Canadian counterpart. YOUR tax dollars has'nt been taken. Mine has. Billions of it for years & years & years. Canada= NO SPACE PROGRAM. When you all get one, when you all piss away your tax $$$$$ in space & all things space related, come on back, because then you have a say. Until then, sip your Molson, eat you fries with cheese & brown gravy. It's what you all do best.

Which sound pretty childish IMO.
Stop projecting your faults on others, I am not the one who resorted to insults.
Oh and by the way, I took the time to underline your own grammar mistakes.

Cheers.

edit on 20-6-2012 by SolidGoal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadowland8
reply to post by abeverage

Actually our sun doesn't have a bow shock because (if I recall correctly) it's moving too slow. This was only discovered this year too I believe.

Quibbles...I just wanted something fun to happen...

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
im confused as this voyager 1 goes deeper into space the signal time between us and it is constantly getting longer as is goes further is 11 billion the estimation by the speed its traveling or is 11 billion miles the location we are just now receiving meaning that by now it is further out then 11 billion?

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by four54cichevelle

Even now, the time it takes for the transmissions to get here is far faster than the instruments are going out, so the lag isn't all that horrible, considering.

but yes, any signal you get back from a retreating object is going to be from closer in than where the thing is actually at by the time you receive the signal.

posted on Jun, 23 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Fascinating stuff. I wonder what kind of data they get when Voyager actually "crosses the border" into full Interstellar Space.

The first thing I would think they'd see is how hardcore the radiation is out there. I think it would be akin to the difference of radiation levels inside the Earths' magnetic field versus outside of it.

I'll be watching with interest.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
With the technology we have and the ability that we have, we should be making better and better advancements. We just need to coalesce and have a united vision.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Amazing... the first human artifact to leave the solar system. The human race has now left its mark in deep space.

Before it left earth, that metallic craft was just another piece of technology, and would be obsolete in todays world. But now outside our solar system, it represents the planet it was sent from.

edit on 29-6-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

Space pirates, or hostile beings.. You never know

On a more serious note I feel like if there are civilizations that advanced to intercept voyager, then they would already have all the solar systems mapped out.

posted on Jul, 1 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
We are not interstellar yet, it wasn't carrying a human. We haven't even landed on Mars yet either.

posted on Jul, 3 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
It's amazing, really. A probe that was fully expected to cease functioning over thirty years ago is still kickin'. Yes, some of the instruments have failed, but considering it took them a good long time to go kaput, I think that in itself deserves recognition. In not failing decades ago as expected, this now archaic little contraption has been punting information back our way about the edges of our neighborhood, and in the coming years, outside the zip code
Places we physically cannot yet venture to are getting the once-over, albeit a limited one, and that's pretty impressive. If the little peons coming into this thread stomping about & whining "Who carrrrrres?" can't understand why that's such a dang cool thing, then frak, existence as a whole is lost on them. Humans are curious. Humans hunger to learn & understand. The more we learn, the more we understand. The more we understand, the more we uncover to question. The more we question, the more we learn. Sending out a metal probe 35 years ago was/is an extension of that, going into an inaccessible region not unlike sending instruments into an active caldera for information, or sending a ROV to the bottom of the oceans. We seek to understand how the universe ticks, both planetside & in depths of space. In seeking to understand the hows of the ticks, we simultaneously seek to understand the WHYS of those ticks.

If around $800 billion total, give or take for black budget projects, over 50+ years bothers a smattering of people THIS much, enough to be a sourpuss in the parade, then why comment? Shouldn't you be off raising holy hell with your political representatives over the $1 trillion+ (bit higher than $700 billion) projected 2012 Defense budget? When 50 years of space exploration has cost less than bombing the crap out of the brown people, then the fiscal hissy fit just might be apples and oranges here. If we reigned in our Defense spending, we could certainly not only take care of all of our own, but still study the universe easily. Chew on that a while, would ya?

top topics

<< 9  10  11   >>

join