It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soldiers' Votes Could Decide Election

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by everlastingnoitall
RANT! I actually agree with you on this one! Can you believe it? Don't faint or anything. The respondants were clearly already biased toward a single view. How many boots on the ground actually get this particular periodical? Even so, as we're discussing poll results. I found this (okay, I found the link on Drudge, but it's an independant site, as far as I know).

Summarized poll results

Bush has been shown in the lead by an overwhelming margin in these polls, collectively, although barely outside of the margin of error an many. It will be very interesting indeed to see which way these are all skewed come election day.

That's an AWESOME resource.
I agree with you as well anything can be spun, but direction is direction regardless of discrepancies here and there. Bush is "on the rise" again across the great swath of the country, but it's really only two states that matter now electorally. Ohio and Florida. And they are almost unpollable in any real way given what new registrations (and other issues in FLA) have done to the electorate.

I saw an interesting analysis today saying just winning one of those states narrowly for Kerry would give Bush the popular vote, but Kerry the electoral win. Man, that would be hell on earth from some's perspective but an interesting twist to 2000 nonetheless.

Once Bush supporters saw the map of seemingly a 80% Red USA, then the electoral count of a Kerry win from basically a handful of states... I'd expect the calls to disband the electoral college would start all over.

This is not the analysis I was referring to but it's close: www.electoral-vote.com...
Kerry 253 Bush 247

It should actually assume Florida to Bush right now giving him about 274 electors and the win, but it's calling Florida too close to call. Either way Kerry only needs Ohio OR Florida in any scenario and he wins.

Bush needs Ohio AND Florida to win the way the race has shaped up.

Weird huh? I don't know that Cheney is worth much in either state, so it's basically up to Bush to campaign in both. Maybe use Arnold in Florida. I really don't know what he could do. But I know Edwards can work Ohio mill towns all day, leaving Kerry free in Florida. Just a prediction of how I'd run the next two weeks.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Well here is some more data, I am telling you liberals you will loose this argument. The Military will vote for Bush, what the %'s are is the question and I still think it will be 2-1 or better. Prove me wrong?

In the 2000 Election keep this in mind:

All sides agree that the military vote, including absentee ballots from active-duty warriors abroad, made the difference � even though Democrats succeeded in having thousands of those ballots declared invalid because the military had failed to postmark the envelopes containing the ballots.
www.washingtontimes.com...

The military vote:
Surprise, it is going to Bush
Sixty-nine percent had a favorable view of President Bush, while only 29 percent had a favorable opinion of Sen. Kerry. Also, 69 percent said they would trust Bush more as commander in chief. Only 24 percent said the same of Kerry.
www.theunionleader.com...

Military vote illustrates America's two cultures
October 11 editions of Military Times publications (Navy Times, Army Times, Marine Corps Times, Air Force Times carried an astounding story not likely to get much coverage in the establishment press.
Staff writer Gordon Trowbridge wrote as follows:
"President Bush retains overwhelming support among the military's professional core despite a troubled mission in Iraq and an opponent who is a decorated combat veteran, a Military Times survey of more than 4,000 readers indicates.
"Bush leads Democratic Senator John Kerry 73 percent to 18 percent in the voluntary survey of 4,165 active-duty, National Guard, and reserve subscribers.

www.sunherald.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by edsinger
Well here is some more data, I am telling you liberals you will loose this argument. The Military will vote for Bush...

I didn't look to see who said they wouldn't but I agree with you from a statistic standpoint.

Even if 10,000 unsigned, unpostmarked military ballots marked BUSH have to be dropped from the sky in Florida on Nov 2, the military will vote Bush.

That's not something I would presume to question. Since I'd lose.

Jeb would count the votes of Military Mascots if he could with little paw prints on the dotted line.

Probably will.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by RANT]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Military Mascots[/url] if he could with little paw prints on the dotted line.

Probably will.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by RANT]

Damn, the plan has been exposed! Have you heard about all the dead people and non-citizens we ahve lined up? Or the ones that will be able to vote 2 and 3 times? Oh wait that is the enemy battle plan.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I am truly curious as to what the ranks were of the 4,000 "professional" military personnel. Were they retirees? Officers? Could a person vote more than once? Does anyone know?

Historically the military may appear to be more Republican since Republicans are more likely to increase military spending. But being military doesn't always mean Republican.

My dad is a retired Army non-com who will vote for Kerry. The same goes for his friends who served in both Korea and Vietnam. The Marines that I see weekly at my children's Young Marine program are voting for Kerry. Michael Moore's interview of US soldiers in Iraq in Fahrenheit 9/11implied that they were anti-Bush, especially the young man who wanted Rumsfeld to resign (but, then again, Morre may have edited out those soldiers who appeared pro-Bush).

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:43 PM
link   
What I'm trying to figure out is why it MATTERS what the military votes for. It's well known that the military is not a bastion for intellectual thought. They reflect the society they are derived.

They are as suseptable to lame biased propoganda and soundbites as the norm in society.

The point is, is that they are a group that pushes chain of command, and the president is there. There is just one bias amung many.

So again, who cares.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mediator
Morre may have edited out those soldiers who appeared pro-Bush).

And you dont think he did? Come one! Really?

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro
What I'm trying to figure out is why it MATTERS what the military votes for. It's well known that the military is not a bastion for intellectual thought. They reflect the society they are derived.

They are as suseptable to lame biased propoganda and soundbites as the norm in society.

The point is, is that they are a group that pushes chain of command, and the president is there. There is just one bias amung many.

So again, who cares.

Well what it means is THEY believe in the job they are doing and just becuase those sitting at home want to protest, they are out there defending just that right.

If the troops feel that the goal is worth the fight, should the populace support them?

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyJethro

So again, who cares.

Excuse me, "not a bastion for intellectual thought"??? "So again, who cares"???

You should care. First of all, there are many, MANY highly educated individuals in the US military, in ALL branches. Of those who come in and do not have a higher degree, a very high percentage goes to school while they are in, and many get a degree. Name another industry or group where going to school and achieving higher degrees is so adamantly encouraged, and in some cases, required for promotion? In the Air Force, if you don't have your Masters by the time you are up for your Major's board, your chances of promotion are slim, and Lt. Colonel is out of the question.

Who cares? You should care, as we are the ones giving our lives to keep your butts free.

This kind of idiotic idealism is what hurts this country, and it is very similar to racism. You said "who cares what the military thinks?" Why didn't you say blacks, Orientals, Indians, Latinos, or any other group? You act as if the military is nothing but a bunch of mercenaries who cannot think for themselves, and who shouldn't even be allowed to vote.

That is sickening....

posted on Oct, 19 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Affirmative Reaction

This kind of idiotic idealism is what hurts this country, and it is very similar to racism. You said "who cares what the military thinks?" Why didn't you say blacks, Orientals, Indians, Latinos, or any other group? You act as if the military is nothing but a bunch of mercenaries who cannot think for themselves, and who shouldn't even be allowed to vote.

That is sickening....

And thi surpirses you in here? I am surprised they are not being called baby killers yet. Oh yeah that guy is one of the candidates isnt he?

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Looks like nader did have an effect, this really pisses me off if they will not allow the military vote AGAIN!

Soldiers' Votes Could Decide Election

In 2000, Florida officials disqualified 1,527 military votes because they lacked postmarks. George W. Bush won Florida - and the presidency - by 537 votes.

The military traditionally votes Republican. In one recent informal survey of the armed forces and their family members, 72 percent of respondents said they favored Bush over Democrat John Kerry.

Many of the problems that marred the military vote in 2000 are cropping up again.

More than a dozen states - including those too close to call - missed the recommended deadline to mail ballots overseas. One of the reasons: legal arguments over whether independent candidate Ralph Nader should be listed on ballots.

With so many troops fighting in the Middle East, members of the military could play a huge role in deciding the next commander-in-chief in this dead-heat presidential contest. But Democrats and Republicans alike fear that reforms enacted by Congress after 2000 have not fixed the problems associated with overseas voting.

During the chaotic 2000 election, thousands of troops overseas voted for president, only to have their ballots rejected. Others did not receive ballots at all. And some found the entire process confusing.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join