It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lost something? Can't find it? Call Anthony

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Today is the Saint day of Saint Anthony of Padua. Better know perhaps as the Patron Saint of Lost Things. I have experience with this, and can say for over 30yrs I have petitioned him when I was unable to find something. Only one time have I not found it, and that was something it turned out, had been stolen. It may be a day, it may be much much longer, but this guy is the real deal. You don't have to take my word. Test him for yourself.

He was born in 1195 in Lisbon, Portugal. His family were wealthy and could afford to give him a top rate education at the nearby Cathedral school. He studied for 25 years at various places, becoming an expert on Theology.

I have paraphrased and left out many details, feel free to read more here. en.wikisource.org...(1913)/St._Anthony_of_Padua

It was as an orator, however, rather than as professor, that Anthony reaped his richest harvest. He possessed in an eminent degree all the good qualities that characterize an eloquent preacher: a loud and clear voice, a winning countenance, wonderful memory, and profound learning, to which were added from on high the spirit of prophecy and an extraordinary gift of miracles. With the zeal of an apostle he undertook to reform the morality of his time by combating in an especial manner the vices of luxury, avarice, and tyranny. The fruit of his sermons was, therefore, as admirable as his eloquence itself.

At Padua also took place the famous miracle of the amputated foot, which Franciscan writers attribute to St. Anthony. A young man, Leonardo by name, in a fit of anger kicked his own mother. Repentant, he confessed his fault to St. Anthony who said to him: "The foot of him who kicks his mother deserves to be cut off." Leonardo ran home and cut off his foot. Learning of this, St. Anthony took the amputated member of the unfortunate youth and miraculously rejoined it. Through the exertions of St. Anthony, the Municipality of Padua, 15 March, 1231, passed a law in favour of debtors who could not pay their debts. A copy of this law is still preserved in the museum of Padua. From this, as well as the following occurrence, the civil and religious importance of the Saint's influence in the thirteenth century is easily understood. In 1230, while war raged in Lombardy, St. Anthony betook himself to Verona to solicit from the ferocious Ezzelino the liberty of the Guelph prisoners. An apocryphal legend relates that the tyrant humbled himself before the Saint and granted his request. This is not the case, but what does it matter, even if he failed in his attempt; he nevertheless jeopardized his own life for the sake of those oppressed by tyranny, and thereby showed his love and sympathy for the people. Invited to preach at the funeral of a usurer, he took for his text the words of the Gospel: "Where thy treasure is, there also is thy heart." In the course of the sermon he said: "That rich man is dead and buried in hell; but go to his treasures and there you will find his heart." The relatives and friends of the deceased, led by curiosity, followed this injunction, and found the heart, still warm, among the coins. Thus the triumph of St. Anthony's missionary career manifests itself not only in his holiness and his numerous miracles, but also in the popularity and subject matter of his sermons, since he had to fight against the three most obstinate vices of luxury, avarice and tyranny.

He died at the age of 36. One of the stories associated with him, kind of gruesome is that sometime after he had been dead, they dug him up. His body had decayed, but his tongue was pink and moist as it had been in life..

Saint Anthony of Padua is the Patron Saint of Padua, of Portugal, and of San Antonio, Texas. Prayer cards manufactured in Italy identify him as the saint of "miracles," but to most Catholics, he is the Patron Saint associated with the return of lost articles and missing persons. He is petitioned for help in finding almost everything that is lost, from car keys and misplaced papers to a lost job, a lost lover, or s straying partner. People who are regarded as "lost souls" may also be placed in his care. These widespread invocations to Saint Anthony for finding lost things and restoring missing people relate to an incident in which the saint was invoked to find a missing book and the prayer was efficacious; ever since then Saint Anthony has been the Patron of Lost Things.

www.luckymojo.com...

Here is a prayer that can be used. For myself, I just talk to him, like I would a live person. I explain what the lost article means to me and what it would mean to find it. Then I ask him to please find it. Once it is found be sure to Thank him, after all it is only polite.

St. Anthony, perfect imitator of Jesus, who received from God the special power of restoring lost things, grant that I may find [name the item] which has been lost. At least restore to me peace and tranquility of mind, the loss of which has afflicted me even more than my material loss. To this favor, I ask another of you: that I may always remain in possession of the true good that is God. Let me rather lose all things than lose God, my supreme good. Let me never suffer the loss of my greatest treasure, eternal life with God. Amen.

catholicism.about.com...

I encourage everyone to try it, after all what do you have to loose.
Come back and write your results here.
edit on 13-6-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-6-2012 by Iamschist because: Ack

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
If you believed in yourself as much as you believe in this patron saint, you would find the very same request made to yourself would produce the same results. But if this works for you, by all means...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
It better not go like the story of "calling on" St. Hubert. The guy kept calling on Hubert, and missing, but the moment he stated Jesus's name? Shot him, THEN the dude proceeds to state that his calling on Ol' Huber worked. *sigh*

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Ah yes, the "Hammer of Heretics".

When I was a child we learned this cantrip...

"St. Anthony, St. Anthony, please come around, something's been lost that cannot be found".

X.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 09:51 PM
link   
This guy has helped me numerous times. Seriously! I don't care what anyone says.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
San Antonio.
If you lose something, go there.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Night Star

I agree! I am a spastic poster, I get so excited, well it is just a mess.
I forgot my own story, the first time I petitioned St. Anthony.

I helped put my X through college. On graduation he wanted a ring. After struggling and the help of relatives we were able to get him a green gold ring. He loved it, and I loved that he did.
He took a job and we settled in. He played golf, we played bridge and attended the local Episcopal Church. One Saturday he lost the ring while on the golf course. Very upsetting.
That Sunday, the sermon was "The Saints; God's Allstars". St.Anthony was one of the featured ones. Having been raised another religion it was all news to me, and fortuitous to say the least.
I prayed to St.Anthony to find the ring. The following day my X got a phone call (he had left his work number, just in case, at the golf course). A man had found the ring and turned it in.
To find a green gold ring in grass............then to have someone honest find it..............made me a believer.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Ah yes... Catholics and graven images, and praying to them and such...

Because I am sure that if God exist, and the saints exert any influence on earth, it would all be dedicated to finding my lost Iphone...

Oh wait, I got find my iphone, guess Anthony can sit this one out.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

S&F Iamschist. I've never heard of this Saint before, but it's worth a try.

In one of our Chapels, we had St. Francis of Assisi Day. It was just beautiful. Children and staff and parents were encouraged to bring their animals (pets) or pictures of sick pets or deceased pets to be blessed. This indoor basketball court was full of beautiful family pets, I couldn't believe my eyes. I said, "this is the way to be" live and let live is usually the motto of this religion. Their Bishop over the Episcopalian Diocese of the U.S. is/was Bishop Spong ( he is gay ) At first I had a problem with this, but seeing how they don't judge others, it made sense to me later.

They brought dogs, rabbits, cats, etc. was so very touching. And our Minister was/is female. Such peace I got from that and almost all chapel services there. We can all be saints. When I was young I wanted to be a Nunn but I wasn't Catholic so, I didn't pursue it. But, I landed up in a good God serving/acknowledging stream of believers. If it gives you peace all is well.

St. John the Devine Blessing of the Animals

This is a snippet of the Episcopalian Cathedral I attend sometimes.
St. Andrew's Service

Was watching lots of travel through Israel vids yesterday, can't wait to go someday soon.

edit on 14-6-2012 by DaphneApollo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DaphneApollo

One of the things that I was so excited to learn about St Anthony was that he knew St Francis. I find him fascinating and wonderful too. Both men were such powerful influences on their own times and continue to be today. Thanks for the reply and video.

top topics

join