It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Verizon Kills Voice Minutes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I am doing this as a public service announcement for Americans.

Verizon Wireless on Tuesday announced its new "Share Everything" plan, allowing customers to share data allotments across multiple devices. Starting June 28, individuals and families will be able to buy one data plan encompassing all of their smartphones, feature phones, tablets, netbooks, USB modems and Mi-Fi devices.

That means some customers -- particularly those on low-priced plans who don't have multiple devices -- are going to have to pay more.

So basically to the average cell phone user who just wants to talk and chat, you are getting screwed.

Here's how it works: An individual user with a smartphone and an iPad would be able to choose a data allotment -- say 4 GB per month -- and every download on every device would count against that shared 4 GB. A family of four could buy a plan with 8 GB per month and share that allotment across all their phones and connected gadgets.

So does this mean that if you get fios, are you going to have to share that data package too?

Anyone else think that Verizon is shooting themselves in the foot with this?

Glad I am just getting pay as you go.

www.cnn.com

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Oh my, the entitlement state just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Apparently I am not the only one who thinks this is a bad idea:

Launch could sink carrier

And the inclusion of unlimited voice and text gives Verizon the justification that it needs to charge an additional fee for each device that you add. If we were sharing a data bucket alone — which is what most of the shared data advocates have asked for — it would be harder to justify a significant per-device fee, since you're not getting any additional gigabytes for each additional tablet, modem, or phone. Instead, Verizon charges up to a whopping $40 extra if you add a smartphone. And let's spell out just what a lackluster deal that is: if you have a 1GB Share Everything plan, you're paying $40 for unlimited minutes and text and a single gigabyte of data shared across multiple devices. That's about what you'd expect to pay for a standalone plan with the same specs on many value carriers.

plan intentionally misses the mark

Verizon's share everything plan, bad for individuals?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I'm not really seeing the issue here. I have had Verizon for years and have never had a problem with them. I still have my legacy unlimited data plan, even after upgrading both phones on my account numerous times. Switching to one of the new plans will end up saving me about $30 per month. Even though I would lose my legacy unlimited data plan, my wife and I on average use maybe 2GB per month. For new customers, they'll be able to view the plans beforehand, and they can choose to purchase or not. It's not like there isn't a shortage of mobile services in the US. Those who are current customers will be able to keep their plans.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Oh my, the entitlement state just keeps getting bigger and bigger.

Oh my, the one liners with no substance keeps getting more annoying.

Come back when you have something of value to add.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaneth

They did say that you will be able to keep your current plan till you upgrade.

What you are not seeing is the removal of choice. Your only choice now is instead of paying by the number of minutes or texts you want to use, or don't use, you have a choice of how much data you want to buy.

And as for having options, in my area, Verizon is my ONLY option for mobile service. So being a single person who doesn't even use internet on a phone, I would get royally screwed.

The cheapest possible "Share Everything" monthly bill for a Verizon Wireless smartphone customer will become $90

That is a lot of friggin money for a few phone calls and texts.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
I am doing this as a public service announcement for Americans.

Verizon Wireless on Tuesday announced its new "Share Everything" plan, allowing customers to share data allotments across multiple devices. Starting June 28, individuals and families will be able to buy one data plan encompassing all of their smartphones, feature phones, tablets, netbooks, USB modems and Mi-Fi devices.

That means some customers -- particularly those on low-priced plans who don't have multiple devices -- are going to have to pay more.

So basically to the average cell phone user who just wants to talk and chat, you are getting screwed.

Here's how it works: An individual user with a smartphone and an iPad would be able to choose a data allotment -- say 4 GB per month -- and every download on every device would count against that shared 4 GB. A family of four could buy a plan with 8 GB per month and share that allotment across all their phones and connected gadgets.

So does this mean that if you get fios, are you going to have to share that data package too?

Anyone else think that Verizon is shooting themselves in the foot with this?

Glad I am just getting pay as you go.

www.cnn.com

sounds like there just trying to get more people to have gps capibilties, this plan sounds like it trying to influence people to get a smartphones

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Yeah, after reading more into it, the individual users get the shaft, where their costs will go up at least $20 per month. The access fees are a bit much too, well for Smartphones, and I almost wonder if they aren't starting high and then will reduce later on to make it look like they are "listening to their customers".

It'll be interesting to see how this all pans out. Could be a perfect time for some upstart to come in and make a killing in certain service areas too, basically cater to the individual.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaneth

BTW...

The company has broken its pledges in the past, most notably by forcing customers with legacy unlimited data to switch to tiered data plans when they upgrade their phones. Verizon originally said existing customers would be able to keep their unlimited plans indefinitely.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Just keep in mind, anything these people do is not for the benefit of the customers.

It is just a way for them to rake in more money at the customers expense.Whether the plan comes back and bites them is another story. What people really need to do is drop their cell service and just go back to land lines, that will teach them.

Was that good enough nikkinox? Just was not sure how many words in a row you would understand. Hope that gives enough meat to bite into.
edit on 13-6-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

My husband and I only use about an hour or so a month on both our
cellphones.We already pay around $70.00 per month,if this goes any
higher,I will shut it off or look somewhere else.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
It's about time people just drop these phones and go back to regular phones.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

Actually I looked into that. Just as expensive as a cell. Even magic jack went the internet route which makes it pointless in my book.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Just keep in mind, anything these people do is not for the benefit of the customers.

It is just a way for them to rake in more money at the customers expense.Whether the plan comes back and bites them is another story. What people really need to do is drop their cell service and just go back to land lines, that will teach them.

Was that good enough nikkinox? Just was not sure how many words in a row you would understand. Hope that gives enough meat to bite into.
edit on 13-6-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

*laughs*

You just restated what I have already said and then had the nerve to insult me.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

They say half the people have smart phones. Seems like an agressive plan if only half the customers have smart phones. You may have a point there.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Actually, as a smart-connected couple, my wife and I will actually save on this new plan.

Granted though, single users are basically getting less for more cost.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Somehow, this actually saves a nice chunk of change. Anywhere from $55-75 depending on the data I choose.

With its current configuration, my plan's price is $235/month. Under the new plan my cost would be about $160 or so.

The only drawback is losing my unlimited data plan. Fortunately, I rarely use over 1.5GB. And I could easily add a tablet AND another chunk of data for about $20 more. It'd still only cost about $180 ±fees and taxes.

It works out for me that this is available. It might be nice to save a little money the main drawback for me is, I would lose my unlimited data and just the thought of that is disappointing. For an individual though, this system is terrible. I couldn't see justifying the price for the value if I only had one line I was managing!
edit on 13-6-2012 by Mapkar because: bad maths

top topics

join