It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BREAKING: Leaked document reveals new power for multinational corporations, threatens US sovereignty

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+60 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
Leaked Document

According to a document leaked on Wednesday, June 13, the Obama administration is considering a provision in the Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement that would allow foreign/multinational corporations operating in the US to sidestep domestic laws regarding environmental and banking regulations via an international tribunal.

The United States has been engaged in discussion with eight Pacific nations to come to agreement on the terms of the proposed Trans-Pacific Partnership, a free trade contract that would allow for a more open system of exchange between the US and less developed nations.

According to the leaked excerpt, the Obama administration has been considering TPP provisions that would allow foreign corporations operating within the United States to appeal regulations on the environment and banking that would be forced on American-owned businesses with no chance of reprieve. While the United States could be sanctioned for failing to impose regulations on American-run businesses, multinational corporations are practically encouraged to do as much because the TPP outlines a clear avenue to file an appeal. If one of the eight Pacific nations chooses to do as much, their plea would be heard by an international tribunal that could overrule US law.

To make matters worse, Congress believes it has been blocked from being involved in the negotiation process. Sen. Wyden of Oregon recently introduced legislation in protest:

“The majority of Congress is being kept in the dark as to the substance of the TPP negotiations, while representatives of U.S. corporations – like Halliburton, Chevron, PHRMA, Comcast, and the Motion Picture Association of America – are being consulted and made privy to details of the agreement."

Huffington post

Support of this document would be in direct opposition to campaign promises made by Obama:

"We will not negotiate bilateral trade agreements that stop the government from protecting the environment, food safety, or the health of its citizens; give greater rights to foreign investors than to U.S. investors; require the privatization of our vital public services; or prevent developing country governments from adopting humanitarian licensing policies to improve access to life-saving medications," reads the campaign document.

Huffington Post

Sources:

Huffington Post: Obama Trade Document Leaked, Revealing New Corporate Powers And Broken Campaign Promises

Huffington Post: Trans-Pacific Partnership: Key Senate Democrat Joins Bipartisan Trade Revolt Against Obama

FDL: Trans Pacific Partnership Document Leaked, Shows Corporations Could Violate National Sovereignty

Related thread(?):

50 Square Miles South of Boise To Communist China for a "Special Economic Zone"?

Commentary: Troubling news indeed. I must admit, I thought better of the Obama administration than this. To, as a leader, allow such a clear violation of sovereignty is appalling. I'm eager to hear from you all though. What's your take?
edit on 6/13/2012 by iceofspades because: Added content

edit on Thu Jun 14 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: to correct date, per OP

+36 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by iceofspades

In view of the current abhorrent conditions in this country, one thing is certain; this country is mired in corruption.

Once the right politicians, power players and banksters are identified and tagged, it is going to end in tears. And ropes. And lampposts.

They just don´t know it yet.

edit on 13-6-2012 by johncarter because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
These corporate dictators need to hit the road jack. It is frustrating to keep reading about multinational

companies coming in and ruling the world.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

It never ends with the American Governments Imperialism does it?

God I wish America would leave the Pacific alone and stop.

What the hell is wrong with them? Our part of the world finally becomes the new power and now the United States muscles in with its military and diplomats. Its sickening.

edit- I doubt anyone will have the guts to make an appeal because if they did, they know that they would go on the United States' # list. And people wonder why so many around the world have a problem with the United States. They even try to screw their 'friends'. This kind of thing is why so many South Koreans hate the United states Government for example..

edit on 13-6-2012 by Germanicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
It is probably the only way this "GOD-Forsaken" administration is going to convince any Corporate body to even consider doing business here again; as it stands, they can pollute and exploit as happily as ever right where they are doing it.

This is a ridiculous attempt at bringing in any small amount of cash as possible. Talk about Whores! The "Son of Perdition" should just wake up to what he is now and get it over with!

+4 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Germanicus

There are no ethics or morals in capitalism, there is only profit. Hence any businessman, it matters not which country they are originally from, will screw over both friend and foe. The only alliances are temporary and based on "how much do I get" at the time. So this is nothing new under the sun, just more blatant and flagrant presentation of reality and the corrupt psychopathic "ruling class."

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
So when this goes South ... how long until Obama blames Bush43 for it?
Seriously though .. this 'transparency' of his is really interesting, isn't it?

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Something tells me that China is insisting that we grant them special rights to go along with production centers like the city/factory they're building for Sinomach in Idaho.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
That way they can cut costs to the bone while they pollute to their hearts content. Obama seems to enjoy pissing the face of the American public, sorry I really can't find any other way to accurately phrase it.
They can't turn the US into a corporate/feudal fiefdom fast enough since his term is fast running out.
I'd really love to see Obama take up the Taco Bell motto and
Head for the Border.
He doesn't belong in this country though I doubt even China would take him.

edit on 13-6-2012 by Asktheanimals because: corrections

+19 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
And it's all a flagrant violation of the Constitution. Congress (not the president) has the power to regulate commerce and conclude treaties...

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
All of these current endeavors point to the same thing,building on past achievements of the globalists,...ending U.S. sovereignty...

“LOST is a Loss for the United States” by Jeffrey Gayner The Halloween vote by the Senate Foreign Relations Committee in favor of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (LOST) represents an attempt to trick the American people into accepting a fatally flawed agreement. This complex international treaty, if adopted, would directly threaten American sovereign rights on the high seas and will transfer American wealth to a new rouge international organization .

councilforamerica.org...

Don't see much in hopes of stopping it either.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrballistic
These corporate dictators need to hit the road jack. It is frustrating to keep reading about multinational

You've missed the point, entirely!
It's not about business "taking control," that's what businesses want to do for their shareholders/owners.

This is the Obama adminstration's pandering to business, just as it did to PhRMA with the ACA.
Depite his vows of "transparency," Obama has fought tooth and nail against revelation of the "Agreement;" and it is only due to leaks from both sides of the isle in Congress that we enven knw ehat we do.

The entirety of this sell-out is such an embarrassment that Obama cannot afford for the news to "break" until after the election.

Throw the bums out!

jw
edit on 13-6-2012 by jdub297 because: sp

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Here is a thorough analysis of the document by Public Citizen:

The leaked text provides stark warnings about the dangers of “trade” negotiations occurring without press, public or policymaker oversight. It reveals that negotiators already have agreed to many radical terms granting expansive new rights and privileges for foreign investors and their private corporate enforcement through extra-judicial “investor-state” tribunals.

PDF Link

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Why do you think Congress gave the authority to the President to use the military to detain Americans forever without a trial? Kill Americans without a trial?

Once the debt limit is reached again automatic things go into effect and Congress is no longer in control.

4th Reich.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Originally posted by mrballistic

You've missed the point, entirely!
It's not about business "taking control," that's what businesses want to do for their shareholders/owners.

This is the Obama adminstration's pandering to business, just as it did to PhRMA with the ACA.
Depite his vows of "transparency," Obama has fought tooth and nail against revelation of the "Agreement;" and it is only due to leaks from both sides of the isle in Congress that we enven knw ehat we do.

The entirety of this sell-out is such an embarrassment that Obama cannot afford for the news to "break" until after the election.

Throw the bums out!

jw
edit on 13-6-2012 by jdub297 because: sp

You missed the point. It is about imperialism. You are living under a corporate duopoly regime. This hurts us in the pacific. Your army of multinational corporations out of Delaware need to be stopped. We cant vote in your imperial elections so how about you guys thinking about something other than yourselves for once. Only american citizens can control your mental government and military. Your government is a jerk. Imperialism should be an issue. Stop trying to rip us all off. Why are you messing in the asia pacific anyway? Go home.

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

To the Honourable The Speaker and Members of the House of Representatives This petition of concerned citizens draws to the attention of the House: The Australian government is negotiating a Trans-Pacific Partnership free trade agreement (TPPA) with the US, New Zealand, Chile, Peru, Brunei, Singapore, Malaysia and Vietnam. But the agenda is being set by giant US corporations. They see many Australian health, social, cultural and environmental policies are barriers to trade which should be removed. They want to use the negotiations to undermine the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme and charge higher prices for medicines, to give special rights for corporations to sue governments, to remove labelling of genetically modified food, to undermine local jobs and fair employment conditions for government contracts, and to weaken policies for Australian content in film, television and digital media. They also oppose including enforceable labour rights and environmental protections in the agreement.

parlinfo.aph.gov.au...;query=Id%3A%22chamber%2Fhansardr%2Fbda27a36-a8b5-4e6a-a64f-6084b2c53511%2F0098%22

Is this guy 'anti-american' ????
www.aph.gov.au...
Many of you Americans are defensive of criticism. It makes no sense. You all know your government is a mafia that hurts the world with its unfair imperialism. Stop being so selfish and happily egocentric. When people are angry at your government its because of stuff like this. We cant vote in Imperial elections. And stop being so defensive. Of course anyone with even half a brain would be angry at your government. This has nothing to do with Democrats. R = D. D = R. Its pretty simple.

Sometimes lesser politicians get the guts to speak out against american imperialism but even when they feel compelled to and get up the guts they know they must be careful. Upsetting the venegful United States Government is a political no no. The United States Government dominates us all with its imperialism. Not just countries like Chile CIA style. It is more sophisticated. Our western politicians are afraid of you. You are a bully.

Reading your comments I find them all baffling. What does TPPA have to do with China? Everythings about big bad China. Stop being paranoid. You are problem. Not China. And get over yourselves. There is a world that exists outside of the United States.

Dave
The rest of you

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I swear I read about this in one of the Bilderburger reports
wonder if I can find it..

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Ha not to mention state laws around what we consider to be safe vehicles that pass us emission and less we not forget about how they are going to come up with driving licenses for mexican truckers...this brings up a whole boat load of issues but if I'm not mistaken this was started with former President Bush...Bad for the union truckers because hiring these mexican truckers certainly means they will under cut everyone....

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   
So much for negotiations being on C-Span.

So much for pretty much anything he said while running for president.

+11 more 
posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I keep wanting to believe we cannot sink any further into full-blown corporatocracy. Seems everyday I am duly disappointed. The nakedness of it all, tossing it right in our collective faces, is obscene.

You try to scream this from the rafters, but you can read what is on so many people's faces clear as a bell...

"Is American Idol still on? Check!
Can I pick up some Mickey-D's on the way home from my underpaid, unfulfilling job? Check!
Can I find out the latest on Brad and Angelina? Check!

What's the problem?"

Anyone else feel like one of those "crazies" with a The End is Near sandwich board hanging of their shoulders?

posted on Jun, 13 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
wha ?

I don't know what to make of this. can't process it.

is it too late to vote for paul ?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join