It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When do you think the oil will run out and what do you think will happen when it does?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Reading through some BBC stories I came across this

news.bbc.co.uk...

This made me think about what will happen when the oil goes.

If China and other big countries keep going at the rate they are, oil will be used up by 2030? (thats a guess please correct me if you have a more accurate one). So what will be the signs more unrest [can there be more lol] WAR end of the world. Using China as an Example if they cannot meet the demand for oil will its growth start to slip big time?

The fact is the amount of questions this raises are many but actual answers are few.

So is there a replacement for oil round the corner?

And if so when will they introduce it?

Please feel free to answer any all questions

regards.

Sorry if this a repeat thread.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I don't believe it'll ever actually run out.

With newly developed technologies and developing technologies, enviromentally conscience people will prefer the cleaner forms of transportation, even if the price is a little higher.

They will spearhead the rest of the world in using this new technology and eventually the price will start decreasing.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Oil is a finite resource it is already running out UK, China, US and more than likely other countries too are experiencing a drop in output. So much so they are buying in more and more. Funny thing i just thought that in 20 - 40 years time the amount of horses a country has may be the most important factor.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I believe that within the time frame you specify we will find more oil than has ever been discovered so far.

My reasoning:

Big Oil controls the world economy, without big oil, there will be massive changes in society at large.

That will not be allowed to happen by any government.

At the first hint of "running out" you can bet your hiney that new technologies will be created to detect and extract the oil lurking on the 90% of the planet we haven't checked yet.

They only do what they have to do now, if they fear an end, they will find a means to keep it going.

It will take the discovery of cold fusion to shake oil from our very thread of existance.

Note:
I do not subscribe to the conspiracy theorists view of Oil Companies, Secret Societies or that ilk... this is just a logical assumption.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:45 PM
link   
What happens when we have reached the point when costs outway practicality of getting the oil out. Such as oil from the poles and from deep sea, cost is always a factor as for free energy there is no profit in it for the big companies. My worry is that larger countries may invade smaller weaker ones
and control their oil. [where have i heard that lately]

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:54 PM
link   
By the time oil runs out every city in the 1st world would be running on Helium 3 from the moon.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vegemite
By the time oil runs out every city in the 1st world would be running on Helium 3 from the moon.

Or is it just an opinion or have you seen the oil companies sending guys to the moon to get it?

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
[weird double post.]

[edit on 4-10-2004 by Munro_DreadGod]

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by gormly
I believe that within the time frame you specify we will find more oil than has ever been discovered so far.

My reasoning:

Big Oil controls the world economy, without big oil, there will be massive changes in society at large.

That will not be allowed to happen by any government.

At the first hint of "running out" you can bet your hiney that new technologies will be created to detect and extract the oil lurking on the 90% of the planet we haven't checked yet.

They only do what they have to do now, if they fear an end, they will find a means to keep it going.

Whenever the oil supply begins to be depleted, the "Big Oil" companies will simply become the "Big Hydrogen " companies and just start charging us $1.50 - $2.00 per gallon for water.....

Oh wait...... It already does cost that much ....

How Much Does Bottled Water Cost?
According to the National Sanitation Foundation, in 1998, the average retail price of one gallon of domestic drinking water ranges from $.80 to $1.20. A five gallon delivered bottle of drinking water is $4.00 to $6.00. A gallon of sparkling water is approximately $1.85. Smaller bottles may be more expensive.

quote taken from... www.ext.vt.edu...

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Some of the snippets I have read along with the fact that demand in China and around the world is accellerating, I think you will see some very distinct changes in about 7 or 8 years. It will start with sharp price rises. I think the hauling of huge chunks of metal around on the highway to get around may become a thing of the past. It is possible that we will shift to other energy sources, but this government with all the Oil influence on it is DRAGGING its heels. I also wonder if population is not held in check the standards of living we take for granted may also be degraded.
If you try to arrange your life so that you are as minimally energy dependant as possible you keep your life much more stable. YOU will not be so subject to crazy wars, political turmoil, or logistical irregularities.
Some of these people think things happen by magic. "Jesus will take care of everything" or something. So they will SQUANDER the easy resouces of today without working on developing the new technologies that will be needed to replace them.
Those countries who are optimally energy independent will do the best over the long run. Energy efficiencies and development of new technologies and new sources of energy are the things an INTELLIGENT country would be doing.

Energy 'Dead Enders' Like the EX-OIL executives in this administration can only see OIL. They lack the imagination and foresight to think ahead. They are still fighting the last war so to speak instead of gearing up for the unknown battles and successes ahead.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Last quarter I took sociology and we watched a film I'll look it up in my notes but I think it was made in the late ninties saying we would run out of our natural recourses within seventy to one hundred years. If I find my old notes I'll let ya'll know

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Its not a lot of time when you think about it. We can but hope for new techs to replace the old.

top topics

join