It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should polygamists go to jail?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I read an interesting editorial is today's USA Today Page 13A. By Jonathan Turley. He made several good points for polygamists. It involves a case going soon to the US Supreme Court the man in the suit is appealing his conviction in Utah. This is a case that could refine the limits of marriage privacy and, religious freedom.

The man in question, Tom Green was convicted to five years to life in prison, The state used this case to classify Green and four women as constructivly married-even though they never sought a license, Green was then convicted of polygamy.

In todays society it is ok to have multiple husbands or wives...as long as they are consecutive, not concurrent, so it is ok to marry and divorce as many times as you want to but, you cannot have a muliple long lived relationship. I am not sure what this says about our society but it does set an odd standard. The idea of polygamy turns my stomach, but then again so does the high divorce rate and unfaithfulness, may be there is something to say for people who can maintain and cherish that kind of togetherness and make it work!

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I have often wondered why polygamy is illegal. While I wouldn't practice it myself (my wife wouldn't let me! j/k) it wouldn't neccessarily bother me if I knew someone who had more than one wife. If the wives are ok with it, and were not forced for any reason, I see no problem with people doing what they want. I'm sure it's original reason for being illegal stemmed from a christian point of view, but i'm curious of anyone has any views as to why it's still illegal today?

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I dont have a problem with it although I would rather be locked in a room full of rabid badgers than have more than one wife

I think in the future you will see it legal as with Gay marrige, and possible Group (several men and women) marriges.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It's fine by me. As long as everyone is over 18, I don't give a damn who consenting adults want to marry. The tricky part would be, who gets stuff like Social Security? I guess you could split it amongst the wives.

Maybe Social Security was a bad example, how much longer are we going to have that?

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The problem with polygamists is that most of them cannot afford to support the children they have with these women, if they can afford them and keep them happy by all mean have as many as you want as long as the women agree with each other

I remember talking with a soldier from another country being trained here in US, in Quantico VA. he was an Officer from Somalia (before US went into Somalia) he had three wives, I ask him how did he managed his wives, and he said that in his country man can have as many women as he can as long as he can keep them happy and satisfy.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I don't know? I think that instead of having more than one wife, a guy should have several mistresses, provided the others go for it. Look at Solomon. How many wives and concubines? All women need loving!

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling
I don't know? I think that instead of having more than one wife, a guy should have several mistresses, provided the others go for it. Look at Solomon. How many wives and concubines? All women need loving!

What if a guy wanted multiple husbands? Or a bunch of male lovers?

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
This guy was effectively living with multiple women. Not legally married to any of them, and was convicted of polygamy?

What the hell is that?

Your not actually braking the law, but we don't like what your doing, so were going to pretend you are, and convict you for something you never leaglly did?

Bull-Sh!+

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
What if a guy wanted multiple husbands? Or a bunch of male lovers?

It wouldnt bother me.

If all parties are over 18 who cares?

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I agree with the general consensus here - legalize it for consenting adults.

Problem with most polygamists is they are religious fundamentalists living out of the old testament and want "child" brides, preferably from their same blood line.

Another problem is they are dependent on the state and feds for survival - food stamps, welfare, WIC, etc. If there is a social program out there, they are on it and taking full advantage.

If a woman, or man for that matter, wants to enter into a plural marriage - more power to them. I just wish they could support their little habit on their own.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I'd say have all the spouces you want. As a relatively sane person I have to ask why anyone would want more than one. No offense ladies but you all are hard enough to deal with when there is only one to give you grief for not putting the dirty clothes in the hamper
Polygamy by definition is punishment lol. Here is what I find to be incredibly stupid. If you aren't married you can have all the women living with you that you want. But if you get married to them its a crime. Well... who gives out the licenses? The states! If they don't want you having more than one wife/husband then don't grant the license. Its that simple. Living together unmarried with 2 women is legal. So what is the point?

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
it is against freedom to tell people how many lovers they can have. love is good. control freaks are bad.
mind you, i bet somebody with a bunch of wives would LOVE to go to jail, ...WHAT A RELIEF!

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Can you imagaine being asked "OK Which one of us is the fattest?"

I would rather go camping on Mt. Saint Helens

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by phreak_of_nature
This guy was effectively living with multiple women. Not legally married to any of them, and was convicted of polygamy?

Two issues with the Green case:

1) cohabitation law that you noted above
2) child rape - one of his "wives" was 13.

So while the cohabitation charge was ridiculous - who hasn't lived with someone at one time or another - the child rape charge, IMO was deserved.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
2) child rape - one of his "wives" was 13.

So while the cohabitation charge was ridiculous - who hasn't lived with someone at one time or another - the child rape charge, IMO was deserved.

I agree 100%

This is another thing I cant understand

Why would anyone WANT a 13 year old wife?

My Grandmother was married at 12 but that was close to a hundred years ago, back then they were "traded" for land or cattle among a loty of the hill clans around here

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
My grandmother had my mother when she was 14, back then child brides were usual due to the mortality rate, now is inmoral and wrong and he deserve to go to jail.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Amuk... the people that complain about polygamy are the same ones that try and tell you what you can watch on tv or listen to on the radio. This is the reason we have the thing in the constitution protecting us from laws that respect religion. If you don't want them being married then don't grant them a license. As hard as it may be for some people to believe it is possible to be in love with more than one person. You love people for different reasons. The unlikely thing is to find everything you love about everyone in just one person.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Indy

As I said before I dont have problem with it but it just not for me.

When I was a younger Biker I had 3 ol'ladies for a while.

Mostly they fought among each other and it not all its cut out to be. I am happy with one wife but if two or three wives (our husbands as far as that goes) works for you go for it who am I to say no.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Can you imagine being asked "OK Which one of us is the fattest?"

oh, man, i just about choked on my beer. you made me laugh out loud uncontrollably. the most dreaded question a man can be asked by a woman. there is no right answer. you're a cad as soon as they ask.
'no', 'YOU'RE LYING!'
'yes', "why don't you go........, you insensitive clod"

what i don't get, is, he wasn't really a polygamist. does this mean if you live with female roomates for long enough, you get thrown in jail, too?
child molester, yes, burn him, but polygamist, no, let him be.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Edited for double post

[edit on 4-10-2004 by Amuk]

top topics

join