It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breatharianism

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Breatharianism - en.wikipedia.org...

What do you guys think of it?

The only reason I am interested is because when I was little I was never hungry or anything but my mom yelled at me when I did not eat. Soon I began to feel the pangs of hunger and I never ouestioned my mom again. Was I born as a Breathairian or is it just all a bunch of BS and I remebered wrong?

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I tried breatharianism but i got sick of being full of hot air. Lately I've been experimenting with Foodarianism. So far so good.

ps: There's been no proven documented cases of Breatharianism...as the link you provided states, even one of the bigger supporters of this was caught throwing down a meat pie, and seeing as the human body is something like 70% water, and that you constantly loose water via perspiration, breathing etc I don't see how it could survive without getting a top up evey now and again.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Real story??? Don't really know, but rumor has it that a number of years back, the fellow who founded this movement was caught in a local "quick shop" eating Twinkies. I was laughing so hard that I did not ever bother or even think to follow up and verify the rumor. Somehow it seemed like poetic... er ... justice? Or perhaps merely poetic license.

[edit on 3-10-2004 by sigung86]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Extremely dangerous, and people have died from it.

And yes, the founder (a woman) WAS caught eating more than once.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   
There are no living things which can survive without eating. The human physiology, is in-capable of sustaining itself on air and sunlight.

Annorexia proves this.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ADHDsux4me
There are no living things which can survive without eating. The human physiology, is in-capable of sustaining itself on air and sunlight.

Exactly, while you can get by without food for some time, the lack of water would kill you pretty quickly. Human physiology does not allow this. Yopu point of anorexia is dead on. No better proof than that. Besides, whick would you really rather have? A juicy Bacon Cheeseburger or Dank energy?

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Annorexia proves this.

-ADHDsux4me

Oh no?

Man 'hasn't eaten' for 68 years

AN Indian man who claims divine inspiration says he has survived 68 years without eating, drinking or relieving himself, baffling doctors who are unable to prove him an imposter.

Prahlad Jani, a 76-year-old whose extraordinary tale has won him a small band of devotees, took a dare and underwent round-the-clock surveillance at a hospital in Ahmedabad, the commercial capital of the western state of Gujarat.

Clad in his trademark red sari, bangles and earrings meant to fashion Hindu goddesses, Jani managed to puzzle the Sterling Hospital's 400 doctors.

Neurologist Sudhir Shah said Jani was under watch for 10 days, with a closed-circuit camera running, and that doctors were convinced he did not break any of his vows, although there was no way of verifying whether Jani has pulled it off for 68 years.

"He has evidence of the formation of urine, which was reabsorbed on his bladder wall. The medical committee does not have any scientific explanation," Shah said.

click link to read on...

I don't think that he is a Breatharian, the article says that he was blessed at the age of eight. Seems eating just might be a state of mind after all. Remember that quote from a recent movie trilogy that flopped (in my opinion), "You think that's air you're breathing now?".

deaf fences hit

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 12:38 AM
link   
It screams Pravda, the Russian Weekly World News. I read the same story.
Do you believe everything you read?

Then, I'm Elvis

No offesne Deaf, but c'mon use your Deny Ignorance Button, and press the buzzer on this story.

-ADHDsux4me

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I have to agree with the lack of possibility... While I am sure some extraordinary things are possible... with abosolutly NO water? Just doesn't cut it by my standards... I could see maybe... reading qouted articles further if, The people in question drank even small amounts of water. you can live three monthes with out food(depending on mind set and will), it is dramatically less with water.

Also it mentioned Yogis which in my opinion is a whole different issue.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   

It screams Pravda, the Russian Weekly World News. I read the same story.
Do you believe everything you read?

Then, I'm Elvis

No offesne Deaf, but c'mon use your Deny Ignorance Button, and press the buzzer on this story.

-ADHDsux4me

None taken, for it could all be just a rap, but whatelse couldn't be on this site? Mind Control? Remote Viewing? Conspiracies? Get out of here... Of course the story sounds ridiculous... no wait, completly inconcievable. Yes... That's much better. Buzz! Buzz! There we go, Deny Ignorance. Yes indeed.

I do find it hard to believe, accept, but anything is possible. Could be more disinfo, or whatever. I just thought the link was funny to tell you the truth. However, I like to consider myself somewhat a Believer of the unbelievable sometimes. If taken as a fake, then it could be another miracle swept aside. But oh well, we'll get over it. Always have, always will. If you can get a source/link that pushes this article aside, then please post it, I'm sure there's gotta be something out there.

Well anyways, a believer in disbelief it seems I always am.

deaf fences hit

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I can find no evidence that proves breatharianism. Indstead, this shows what happens to the human body when there is no food or drink intake.

. Despite the dangerousness of her insane teachings, in the fall of 1999, the Australian television program �60 Minutes� tested her ability to live on prana, the �light of God.�

After four days of fasting, Dr Berris Wink, president of the Queensland branch of the Australian Medical Association, urged her to stop the test. According to the doctor, Greve�s pupils were dilated, her speech was slow, she was dehydrated and her pulse had doubled. The doctor feared kidney damage if she continued with the fast. The test was stopped. Greve claimed that she failed because on the first day of the test she had been confined in a hotel room near a busy road, which kept her from getting the nutrients she needs from the air. �I asked for fresh air. Seventy per cent of my nutrients come from fresh air. I couldn�t even breath,� she said. However, the last three days of the test took place at a mountainside retreat where she could get plenty of fresh air and where she claimed she could now live happily.* Clearly, had the test continued, she would have died. Instead, she lived to lead others to their deaths.

Sorry for the long quote, but it says it all. The last 2 sentences sum it up nicely!

From skepdic.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tusayen
I have to agree with the lack of possibility... While I am sure some extraordinary things are possible... with abosolutly NO water? Just doesn't cut it by my standards... I could see maybe... reading qouted articles further if, The people in question drank even small amounts of water. you can live three monthes with out food(depending on mind set and will), it is dramatically less with water.

Also it mentioned Yogis which in my opinion is a whole different issue.

The entire basis of his survival is based on the supposed idea that he was "blessed", whatever that means. If such supernatural gifts had been bestowed on him, then perhaps such effects would not phase him at all, as opposed to an average person. In this theory, it would work, but that just gets into a whole load of other debate and criticism. You can never tell... It seems so easy and comforting to slide into scepticism, as it seems to be our only way of clinging onto this world.

deaf fences hit

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
hmmm thus sounds suspiciously like an article I read a long time ago, and the guy was proven to be a fraud...

NASA To Study Man Who Survives On Liquids And Sunlight

If we didn't need food, why do we have teeth, and bowels, and a stomach, and intestines, and all the other squishy, slippery stuff?

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
hmmm thus sounds suspiciously like an article I read a long time ago, and the guy was proven to be a fraud...

NASA To Study Man Who Survives On Liquids And Sunlight

If we didn't need food, why do we have teeth, and bowels, and a stomach, and intestines, and all the other squishy, slippery stuff?

Nice link and good point LordGoofus. Perhaps this could be the next step though, of our evolution. You don't loose the stuff you stop using straight away, and maybe you never will, if that's how we are. I know that people can either juice/water fast for very long periods of time as that man did in the link you gave. But this sun through the eyes thing seems pretty odd to me. Oh well, I personally enjoy a good meal as much as anyone else does.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by deaf fences hit

You can never tell... It seems so easy and comforting to slide into scepticism, as it seems to be our only way of clinging onto this world.

deaf fences hit

Ouch that hurt... I am not saying its impossible, all I am saying is "show me some proof" With the number people shown to be false... of course I am skeptic. This guy maybe legit but most aren't so on a whole, most of it sounds like people just trying to get their 15 minutes of fame. A wee bit of look at me, look at me syndrome. Again I am not saying this one guy is not blessed or different in some way...

Consdider this, if he is blessed, then are these the only repercussions? Does he lead a contented life or is he out to prove some thing. All I see on this guy is one aspect... where is the rest? What are your sources that are so irrefutable? What makes him so special? God said it, and so it was done?

Either give me more information to base a solid conclusion on or I will discount it as irrelevant until more information is provided whether that prove it to be true or false

Ok no more ranting on from me

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Sounds completely impossible. Think about it from the evolution standpoint. Any species that could exist without food or water would have the ultimate adaptive strategy. No competition for food. No chance of starvtion. No problem with draught. Just stay safe and reproduce. No problem with population density if food is not a limiting resource.

If it were possible for any mamalian species to develope such a strategy it would have happened long ago and be widely dominant.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tusayen

Originally posted by deaf fences hit

You can never tell... It seems so easy and comforting to slide into scepticism, as it seems to be our only way of clinging onto this world.

deaf fences hit

Ouch that hurt... I am not saying its impossible, all I am saying is "show me some proof" With the number people shown to be false... of course I am skeptic. This guy maybe legit but most aren't so on a whole, most of it sounds like people just trying to get their 15 minutes of fame. A wee bit of look at me, look at me syndrome. Again I am not saying this one guy is not blessed or different in some way...

Consdider this, if he is blessed, then are these the only repercussions? Does he lead a contented life or is he out to prove some thing. All I see on this guy is one aspect... where is the rest? What are your sources that are so irrefutable? What makes him so special? God said it, and so it was done?

Either give me more information to base a solid conclusion on or I will discount it as irrelevant until more information is provided whether that prove it to be true or false

Ok no more ranting on from me

Oh no, I've started unecessary conflict. My apologies. Firstly Tusayen, I didn't mean that comment at the end to be an insult in anyway, just a comment about how humans generally tend to work. So no grudge intended.

I am skeptical to, however, I've chosen to take the unlikely party's view on this subject for a change. I probably couldn't prove past the dozen or so news articles that have reported the old man's claim on the Internet. I have no idea as to what his purpose is in this life, if it even to prove anything at all.

The reason why I posted the link in the first place was kinda for fun and about the same in seriousness. Someone said it wasn't possible and so I pointed something out that I found on multiple news sources (which aren't irrefutable), that might have led the possibility to be proven otherwise. I'm not saying it's completely true, and as far as my searching has gone, I cannot find anything beyond that report. Maybe it was squelched, or maybe it was a flop, who knows, not like it matters anyway. I'm just riding on the cloud of "what if"?

Peace.

deaf fences hit

top topics

join