It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iraqi War a Disaster - WSJ Reporter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Yet another story about someone from the front lines expressing a very different view of the Iraqi war than that of the current administration. This time it is a Wall Street Journal reporter backed up by her editor (Reported by the New York Post).

www.nypost.com
Despite President Bush's rosy assessments, Iraq remains a disaster," Wall Street Journal reporter Farnaz Fassihi wrote in a group e-mail to friends that inadvertently became widely posted on the Web. ...

"Iraqi government doesn't control most Iraqi cities." She said there are car bombs, assassinations, kidnappings and beheadings. "The situation, basically, means a raging barbaric guerilla war."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Information Clearing House has the full text of the mass e-mail the reporter sent to friends (text).

This follows the story of the Army Reservist who also published a first hand account of why the United States CANNOT win this war (text). This text was widely circulated and the reservist now faces possible disciplinary action for disloyalty and insubordination. If charges are bought and he is found guilty, he could face 20 years in prison. It would be the first such disloyalty prosecution since the Vietnam War.

There have been several threads on ATS lately (see below) outlining the bad news that seems to be actively repressed in the mainstream media.

This is in addition to Naomi Klein's story which appeared in Harper's Magazine recently. Harper's, in an unprecedented move made the article freely available to the public (see below). The article give a first hand accounting of what is happening on the ground in comparison to the rethoric comming from the White House.

The guerrilla war in Iraq is spreading like wildfire and intensifying, yet this administration refuses to face reality and the mainstream media refuse to "go after" the story.

Honestly, I don't think this can be kept off the front pages much longer but they will try at least until the election is over.

Related News Links:
www.harpers.org
Operation American Repression?

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
OP/ED: Is News On Iraq Being Manipulated?
Iraq rebels atttack 2,300 times in a month
Iraq, 2,368 attacks in 30 days.

[edit on 3-10-2004 by Banshee]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Ever wondered why the image of helicopters taking people off the Embassy roof in Saigon was so shocking to Americans of that time? It was because they had no idea South Vietnam was on the verge of collapse.

There's always a way to turn a situation around or to win a war. I believe the military has the brainpower and the resources to pull it off. What has to happen is the administration best turn over the entire thing to the DoD - not some ridiculous 'Office of Special Plans' BS that can cook up more crackpot intelligence and non-strategies.

If the Bush Administration didn't realize their plans for Iraq were flawed, I doubt they can realize what the Middle East will be like if their plans fail. Hubris at it's best.

[edit on 3-10-2004 by taibunsuu]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I guess if we're not there we don't know who's telling the truth. Always some political motivation behind every story it seems.

Samarra Victory Encourages Iraqi Forces

[edit on 3-10-2004 by outsider]

TCR

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I agree with much of what this person wrote in the linked full text. Much of it doesn't come as any real shock to people closely following the war.

This isn't the "average joe soldier" over there who wrote this though. On one hand, if what he says is true, then he does have some credibility based on his experience and position in the military. The fact that he is there on the ground is another reason to listen to his observations.

However, he isn't the "average joe" for another reason. If you look at the bottom of the linked text, you'll see a pointer to this gentleman's affiliated party website. ( www.cptexas.org... ) So as mentioned by people before in this thread, everybody can have a political angle...

That doesn't invalidate anything the man says. But I won't assume this is truly objective either. Of course, what is objective as far as information coming out of that region lately heh

edit: to be clear, I'm speaking of the text linked that was written by a reservist being put forth by the reporters..etc

[edit on 3-10-2004 by TCR]

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Bush only said that the MAJOR military offensives would be quick and smooth. He's never denied that completely stablizing Iraq would take years. People who dislike Bush will manipulate any situation that they possibly can in order to make him look worse. I don't understand how anyone still has the nerve to compare Iraq to Vitenam. The two conflicts are so different that any corellation is ridiculous. I have three friends and two family members that are in both Iraq and Afghanistan right now (two of whom are intel analysts), and they say that the media has gone crazy with the garbage that they're reporting about the region.

Only a fool would have thought this was going to be a completely smooth process. It's rough going only because the coalition forces are as nice as they are... like all nice people we are often taken advantage of. A thorough nuking of the area (or perhaps a gassing or two) like the days of Saddam, would probably put an end to these problems really quickly. However, we have chosen the longer more moral route. Almost every reporter and news angency I've seen held bias or personal agendas.

Personally, I think Bush has handled Iraq pretty well. However, he loses me every time he suggests that... "We NEED the Patriot Act". The hell we do Mr. Bush.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by veritas93
Only a fool would have thought this was going to be a completely smooth process.

'We will, in fact, be greeted as liberators.'

~ Dick Cheney

The swift removal of Saddam Hussein's regime last spring had an unintended effect: Instead of being killed or captured on the battlefield, some of Saddam's elite guards shed their uniforms and melted into the civilian population.

~ George Bush

Yes, fools indeed. Even the Iraqi's who appreciate us getting rid of Saddam view us as occupiers. Not Bush nor anyone in his administration said anything about the type of hardships that would be going on in Iraq at this stage in the deployment. They may have felt that way privately but most of the people I talked to that supported this war felt like it was going to be a cakewalk.

Military commanders (some, not all) predicted that once the Republican gaurd fell that the country would fall into line from their happiness at being liberated. In fact, the only people I heard making statements regarding how hard winning the peace really could be were the people opposed to the war before hand and many of them were written off as pessimests or in extreme cases traitors.

The only fools in this campaign were the Neo-Cons that convinced Bush (Cheney chief among them) that victory and stabilization would be relatively quick.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weller

Military commanders (some, not all) predicted that once the Republican gaurd fell that the country would fall into line from their happiness at being liberated. In fact, the only people I heard making statements regarding how hard winning the peace really could be were the people opposed to the war before hand and many of them were written off as pessimests or in extreme cases traitors.

Those were retired generals and such. They can speak freely. Active-duty military have an obligation to do as ordered and keep unsolicited opinion to themselves.

The only fools in this campaign were the Neo-Cons that convinced Bush (Cheney chief among them) that victory and stabilization would be relatively quick.

Chalabi... Iran... Dumb neo-cons... Hook... Line.... Sinker....

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
This is a thread after my own heart. I posted this yesterday in a different thread and got beat up for it.
I've come to the realization that Americans dont care. What is the draw to Bush and his crimes? I dont know. With every passing day I get more perplexed.
So Bush is wrong about the war? so what!
So Bush showed his true stupid colors at the debate? he was tired...
Excuses, excuses for a man who not only is ruining this country but as dumb as crap that he is , is also managing to ruin the world.

Cheney will come out scratching tomorrow and blood dripping from his lips, as he takes on Edwards. He's got to make up for George, so this will be something to watch. FRIGHT NIGHT

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Glad to see some people openning their eyes and minds. Please continue to help your friends and neighbours understand the great tragedy happen to Iraqi people as well as US troops everyday. May the occupation end sooner!

Too sad to see that only very few understand the reality in Iraq.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:26 PM
link   
What are the real figures,probably we will never know.But one thing is for sure the official ones given are false.

Does anyone truly believe that from the initial point of invasion driving and fighting 450 miles to Baghdad that only 65 soldiers were killed ? thats what Centocom reported,The U.S invaded a whole country fighting and at the end 65 soldiers killed,Really ?

Other sources have said that the figure was around 2500-3000 dead in the invasion part of operations,this seems more reasonable.There was a massive battle at Baghdad airport in which hundreds of soldiers were killed but was never reported by your friendly Fox media,Just as AlJazeera was about to go on air and broadcast this battle something strange happened,Al Jazeeras offices were Bombed in error by B52 bombers.Pity.Al reference to the airport battle has vanished.Click on the link and read about it from a U.S cavalry Captain.So it did happen.www.geocities.com...

So the lies started in not reporting true casualties,Reason is, not politically correct to show the American public 3000 dead marines in 3 weeks,especially if you are looking to invade Syria,Iran,Korea.Public might get scared off.So then we have all those flag waving Iraqis,Street parties and hugging U.S soldiers,bit like the liberation of France during WW2.The Iraqis are happy to see us "So why are they shooting at us on a daily basis"exactly so it is best not that we report the dead during initial phase of occupation,because people ask questions,We will underreport and in time the insurgency will stop and everything will be ok.

So 8 months go by 2003 is over and still there are daily attacks and all those dead we have not reported.The lies are getting bigger and bigger and the old saying goes once you start liening you have to create more lies to cover up the initial ones.

So New year goes on attacks still happening,soldiers still dieing on aa daily basis,but in 4 months we have the Iraqi goverment taking over in June,so we cant report the higher deaths on a daily basis,because that gives the wrong message to everyone.Then Fallujah occurs major battles errupt all over iraq some 100 attacks every day on soldiers,the end of the month they report 130 killed for the whole month,give me a break,3000 attacks on soldiers in a month,including,gunfire,IEDs,Mortar,RPGs,snipers etc and only 135 killed.

Well it is not in the interest of Pinochio and his friends to give the truth.June 28th only 2 months away,things will get better.Keep reporting the lies on casualties,dont worry everything will work out after june 28th.

June 28th comes and goes,and guess what,everything gets worse,much worse,Well we cant report the truth on casualties because there is an election in the U.S and that can cause a biased view.So we will continue reporting this way.Then Najaf occurs battles everywhere 100 attacks a day length and breadth of iraq 3000 attacks in the month and gues what at the end of the month 54 soldiers are killed out of a total of 3000 attacks.Give me a break.In the meantime pentagon says have on lost 1000 dead and 7000 wounded so not to bad,whilst they are issuing those ok figures behind the scenes they are preparing a back door draft,offering girls boob jobs if they join the army and calling up all the ex vietnam vets some who are in their 60s and any retired personel,the reason is because the army is overstretched and there are no national guards people left in America.What does this say.?

September comes and goes,IEDs going off all over the place,landmines blowing up under vehicles,suicide nutters ramming convoys,Rpgs flying everywhere et etc.90 attacks a day on soldiers length and breadth of Iraq.and gues what 81 soldiers die out of 2700 attacks in the month.These Iraqis need some glasses,either bifocal or magnification.

So that is where we are today.All the Bull#ters are bull#ting each other and thats what happens whe you allow your country to become corrupt of which America is.The true situation is that the U.S has lost around 7000 dead soldiers and 36,000 seriously wounded needing disability pensions from the VA.That figure does not include green card warriors or mercenaries or intelligence officers.Those figure are home grown American boys and girls.7000 dead and 36000 seriously wounded.That figure is growing all the time we are at a rate now of a 100 dead or wounded solders nearly every day around 2500 a month.

Now you see why pinochio Rumsfield and Mickey mouse Cheney have been so quiet the last 6 months. Pinochio Rumsfield still is living in a surreal fantasy land.

This came out of his office 2 days ago."Samara 1 dead soldier 4 slightly wounded". Give me a break 3000 soldiers go storming into a small city called Samara where there are at least 1000 insurgents all dug in and ready and willing to fight.Major battles ensue,bullets and RPgs flying everywhere Battle goes on day and night for 3 days and guess what yes you have guessed it pinochios office officialy states 1 dead soldier 4 Slightly Wounded.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weller

And Bush never said this was going to be a long struggle? He said that it was going to be a walk in the park right? he painted everything was goingt o be rosy...

Let's see what president Bush has said in the past about Iraq and the war on terror.

"Our war on terror begins with al-Qaida, but it does not end there. It will not end until every terrorist group of global reach has been found, stopped, and defeated."

"Our war on terror is well begun, but it is only begun. This campaign may not be finished on our watch -- yet it must be and it will be waged on our watch."

"We will make no distinction between the terrorists who committed these acts and those who harbour them."

Now the following is a favorite for liberals/democrats that has been misquoted time and time again.

"Every nation, in every region, now has a decision to make. Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists. From this day forward, any nation that continues to harbor or support terrorism will be regarded by the United States as a hostile regime."

And the part I put in bold is what democrats/liberals continue to leave out...

"The progress we and our friends and allies seek in the broader Middle East will not come easily, or all at once. Yet Americans, of all people, should never be surprised by the power of liberty to transform lives and nations. That power brought settlers on perilous journeys, inspired colonies to rebellion, ended the sin of slavery, and set our Nation against the tyrannies of the 20th century."

All of the above are excerpted from.
boycottliberalism.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Anyone remember when Bush spoke on the Aircraft Carrier with that huge banner that said Mission Accomplished?

Ironic isn't it?

Say, could anyone tell me why the Iraqis keep fighting for freedom? Boy, they sure are giving us a tough fight over there.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by zcheng
What are the real figures,probably we will never know.But one thing is for sure the official ones given are false.

And we are suppose to believe more those who had a spokeperson of theirs repeat on the air to the Iraqi people that the Americans were not close to Baghdag? that the iraqi forces were beating them back to the sea?.....he kept saying this until his capture, then he said he was told to do so...i keep forgetting his name.... anyways...you prefer believing sources like his?

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Your presidente Bush is delusional and mentally handicapped.
Someone has to fix this mess. Things are only getting worse and worse on a daily basis and YOU know it.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

And we are suppose to believe more those who had a spokeperson of theirs repeat on the air to the Iraqi people that the Americans were not close to Baghdag? that the iraqi forces were beating them back to the sea?.....he kept saying this until his capture, then he said he was told to do so...i keep forgetting his name.... anyways...you prefer believing sources like his?

Why do not you check out following link from a US captain?

www.geocities.com...

and see what you will have to say.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
Anyone remember when Bush spoke on the Aircraft Carrier with that huge banner that said Mission Accomplished?

Ironic isn't it?

Say, could anyone tell me why the Iraqis keep fighting for freedom? Boy, they sure are giving us a tough fight over there.

Who exactly are those that are fighting Jamuhn? regular Iraqi people? or do you like leaving out that these are radicals who have come from Iran and other radical countries to fight against the coalition? Do you prefer if they are allowed to go to western nations, unchallenged, and commit their violent acts?

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muaddib

Ironic isn't it?

Who exactly are those that are fighting Jamuhn? regular Iraqi people? or do you like leaving out that these are radicals who have come from Iran and other radical countries to fight against the coalition? Do you prefer if they are allowed to go to western nations, unchallenged, and commit their violent acts?

What, are you reporting live from Iraq or something?

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Why do not you check out following link from a US captain?

www.geocities.com...

and see what you will have to say.

Yeah, why didn't you check out what it said on the bottom of the web site?

Website woven by El Loco
De Waco Texas America

What corroboration is there of this? it all sounds like a prank...by El Loco.... "the Crazy man"

How many people in here actually believed that Aussie Bloke was telling the truth and how much information did he post in several sites? at the end it was all a prank...

[edit on 4-10-2004 by Muaddib]

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   

What, are you reporting live from Iraq or something?

No but I do have friends in the military who are in Iraq right now, regular soldiers, and not everywhere are things gloomy in Iraq...but of course the media doesn't report about those places where there are no conflicts or there is minimal fighting.

posted on Oct, 4 2004 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Fair enough, but sometimes you have to take the country as a whole. And I think that's the point of this thread.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join