It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teresa vs. Laura

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
On election day the ballots will say John Kerry and George W. Bush, but you cannot discount the fact that many people look at the big picture on election day, and that big picture includes who will become the First Lady.

How many of you will consider the wives when you cast your vote?

Who would you prefer as our next First Lady? Laura Bush or Teresa Kerry?

Jemison

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I think if we were voting on the first lady Laura Bush would win in a landslide. Laura Bush is someone many people in America can relate too. I dont think that many people can relate to Teresa Kerry.

Im not sure what type of effect it will have on the election though. I do think a first lady does have great influnce over the President so it is important to some degree,

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Neither.

Teresa is very ... well, she doesn't come off as a very likable person. She seems too aggressive, and just doesn't seem very personable.

On the other hand, Laura is very likable. She speaks softly, and is almost mesmerizing. At the same time, I see why Bush married her; she makes him look like a genius. Behind those soft-spoken words are some of the stupidest, thoughtless statements I've ever heard a person mutter. One that comes to mind was when she was being interviewed on The Factor. Bill asked her some cupcake question like, "what criticisms hurt you the most?" And she responded by saying that people criticizing looks / appearances really hurt. Uhhhhh? And then she rambles off in that soothing tone of her's, basically saying a whole lot of nothing.

So, given the choice, I'd choose neither. Teresa is far from Hilary Clinton, but I do prefer that type of woman as the first lady -- someone strong and opinionated, even if they turn some people off. So if I HAD to choose, it would be Teresa. I prefer someone who is thoughtful and passionate who may anger some people as opposed to someone who is sweet, likable, and empty-minded.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Im not sure what type of effect it will have on the election though. I do think a first lady does have great influnce over the President so it is important to some degree,

I have to agree with you there Shadow, the First Lady should be a consideration. Hillary Clinton totaly redefined the role as we know it, driving both policy and agendas. Im married and we tend to view things as a team, and the first person I discuss things with is her.

That being said, while Laura Bush is a much more traditional First Lady, THK is like a polar opposite. Laura Bush gets my vote. Class, poise, can discuss world issues, or bake a cookie

THK seems to me based on her public comments, speeches (the "Im rich, love me" at the DNC) and behavior strike me as spoiled, classless and overindulged. Add to this the sketchy "Hospitalization" for a stomach problem and you get a firm

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Teresa.

Laura is decorative and has been molded into the Good Republican Wife; a yes-woman who is basically a slave (yes, I do mean that term) to her husband's career. Frankly, I think she sets a horrible example for women.

However, Laura will sit well with all the conservatives because she "knows her place" -- another term for her being essentially an adult child. Yes, we have women like this in the family and while they're very pleasing to the conservative men with fragile male concepts and efficient at planning parties, they have all the common sense of a doorknob and their ability to actually do things like buy cars and pay bills is about on par with your average six year old.

I don't think much of her character, either. You can tell a lot about people by the way that their kids turn out -- and as we've discussed, the Bush twins follow their parental models in drinking and in being rude to those who must serve them.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 12:47 PM
link   

However, Laura will sit well with all the conservatives because she "knows her place" -- another term for her being essentially an adult child. Yes, we have women like this in the family and while they're very pleasing to the conservative men with fragile male concepts and efficient at planning parties, they have all the common sense of a doorknob and their ability to actually do things like buy cars and pay bills is about on par with your average six year old.

That's pretty sexist! I'm a stay at home Mom by choice and I gave up my career when I got pregnant with my first child so that I could devote myself 100% to my husband and my children. In addition to caring for my family I also take care of all of the bills, invest our money, negotiate the deals for cars and other major purchases, refinancing the house, etc. My husband never has to deal with any of that, not because he isn't capable, but because I am perfectly able to deal with those things and would prefer that when he gets home from a long hard day at the office he can unwind and spend quality time with me and our four daughters.

To assume that women who allow their husbands to be in the spotlight have the common sense of doorknobs is ludicrous. Some women believe that if they are going to have children it is imperative that they actually raise their children rather than leave it to nannys, schools, police, etc.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I'm someone who actually like Theresa. She seems to be a woman who has her own opinions and identity. Yes, she says things that might appear rude (ie: shove it), but I think most people would feel or do the same things in the circumstances. Yes, she's very wealthy in her own right. I suppose that may give her a sense of self apart from her husband. This isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Having grown up in Texas politics, I know the Laura type well. They are lovely women who must totally merge their identity with that of their husbands'. Speculation is that Laura disagrees with many of Pres. Bushes' policies but keeps quiet (which I think a First Lady should do). However, I think she's repressed to a remarkable degree. She's basically tethered to the Bushes' for her complete identity. I don't envy her being married to him. I LIKE Laura but I also feel sorry for her in some weird way As a woman, I would hate to be in her shoes.

I suppose Theresa's wealth gives her some freedom that Laura doesn't have. Plus, I truly belieive she and Kerry have a loving and passionate relationship. She's outspoken and some find her overindulged. I think she just exhibits the usual attributes of those who are extremely well off (in their own right) and don't have to please everyone. She seems to care deeply about issues and,yes, she talks in a different way than Laura. Laura has that nice political Stepford wife chatter down very well. I think Theresa is more a Jackie O and Laura more a Pat Nixon.

I don't think either will make policy a la Hillary. Of course, you can never underestimate the power of a First Lady in private. I would guess that George Bush pays very little attention to Laura's more astue observations. Meanwhile, I think John Kerry does listen to Theresa and decides what he should consider from her observations.

I find the characterization of Theresa as "classless" amusing. The upper upper class have a kind of throwaway chic that doesn't have to scream..."I have class and money."...she's totally in keeping with that model.

Both are good women, I just think Laura is hamstrung by her husband and slightly overwhelmed by the collective power of her in-laws. Whatever power she derives, is from them and she must"tow the line" or face the consequences.
just a woman's take:
joey

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   

I find the characterization of Theresa as "classless" amusing. The upper upper class have a kind of throwaway chic that doesn't have to scream..."I have class and money."...she's totally in keeping with that model.

IMHO Teresa Kerry IS classless. She may fit in with the 'new money' upper class mentality but she certainly is not representative of the old money, traditional aristocratic families who are the epitome of class and refinement.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Laura is decorative and has been molded into the Good Republican Wife; a yes-woman who is basically a slave (yes, I do mean that term) to her husband's career. Frankly, I think she sets a horrible example for women.

Sometimes preconceptions and political biasedness form opinions.

Laura Bush, the wife of President-elect George W. Bush, said Friday she believes the country could do more to minimize the number of abortions, but also indicated she doesn't believe the 1973 Supreme Court ruling legalizing abortions should be overturned.

Slaves don't publicly disagree with their masters.

The "role" of the First Lady isn't to get down in the trenches and form policy, a majority of Americans don't want the Hillary Clinton type.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I'm surprised that so far it's split down the middle. Maybe the Kerry camp didn't need to tell Teresa to stop exercising her right to free speech.

Jemison

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Add to this the sketchy "Hospitalization" for a stomach problem and you get a firm

Yep. Gotta' wonder what that was about. Witness' said that
she put her hand to her head and muttered something about
her 'meds' just before the 'hospitalization' .

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Not going by the political issues, I've never liked Laura. Don't know why. She just seems cold to me. Loved Barbara cos she seemed like everyone's grandmother (although her former daughter-in-law has made comments that she isn't all warm and fuzzy). Theresa kinda scares me but I think once Kerry is elected Hillary will have a talk with her. LOVED HILLARY!

Who would I like to see as First Lady? BILL CLINTON!
Maybe in 2008 or 2012!

"Don't stop thinkin' about tomorrow..."

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 07:24 PM
link   

I've never liked Laura. Don't know why. She just seems cold to me.

That's interesting, Cold is not a word I would ever come up with when thinking of Laura Bush! If anything she seems overly nurturing to me! Maybe you knew someone that was cold that in some way reminds you of her and maybe I knew someone overly nurturing that reminds me of her. LOL!

Jemison

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Beyond a doubt, Laura Bush. The first lady is a fine lady representative; she displays dignity and poise and speaks with restrain and decency. Laura reacts to the world with compassion and kindness, not as a brazen bar wench who married money and now wants to jump into American politics through her current blue-blood elitist husband.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Laura Bush is tops in my book. She's just got that demeanor about her.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   

She's just got that demeanor about her

I agree!!!

But what is demeanor to you and me seems to be 'demon air' to some others!

Jemison

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:03 PM
link   
When you marry them, demeaner they all get!

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by joey
I don't think either will make policy a la Hillary. Of course, you can never underestimate the power of a First Lady in private. I would guess that George Bush pays very little attention to Laura's more astue observations. Meanwhile, I think John Kerry does listen to Theresa and decides what he should consider from her observations.

If Kerry trul listens to his wife, he wouldn't be running. I can't remember a candidate'swife who appears like she would rathaer be ANYWHERE else than campaigning for her husband. Her dislike for what she is doing shows.

Laura would be my pick. She is classy like her mother-in-law and Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis.
IMHO, we are still recovering from Hillary. A First Lady should complement her husband, not try to take his job from him. I'm sure many of us heard legends about who "really" ran the Clinton WH

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison
That's pretty sexist! I'm a stay at home Mom by choice and I gave up my career when I got pregnant with my first child so that I could devote myself 100% to my husband and my children. In addition to caring for my family I also take care of all of the bills, invest our money, negotiate the deals for cars and other major purchases, refinancing the house, etc. My husband never has to deal with any of that, not because he isn't capable, but because I am perfectly able to deal with those things and would prefer that when he gets home from a long hard day at the office he can unwind and spend quality time with me and our four daughters.

To assume that women who allow their husbands to be in the spotlight have the common sense of doorknobs is ludicrous. Some women believe that if they are going to have children it is imperative that they actually raise their children rather than leave it to nannys, schools, police, etc.

Jemison

Yes, that's sexist -- or, more properly, it's Old School Feminist.

For the record, I don't have a problem with stay at home moms... more power to them! But I *do* have a problem when it's the expected role model for ALL women.

The conservatives will tout her not because she's kind (she's not) or generous (she's not) or a good parent (she's not) but because she lives up to their standard of what a "good woman" is. They attacked Hillary Clinton and any number of other women in leadership positions because they weren't "good women" -- staying home and taking care of the kids.

Again... for the record... I think there should be stay at home moms and dads and I think they should be applauded/supported/cheered by society. BUT -- I don't think that every woman on the planet (including myself) needs to be shoved into the role of "stay at home mom."

I'd be glad to discuss this on another thread -- do be aware, though, that I'm an Old School Feminist and came from the time when women were expected to stay home and raise babies... and the difficulties I faced in doing simple things like getting bank accounts (not allowed without husband or father's cosignature), loans, and decent paying jobs were legion.

Another time and another thread, eh?

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Yeah, Kerry's wife might be a bit of a bitch, but i'ld rather deal with a bitch than a Carbon-copy, Stepford wife.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join