It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Country Music-Suicide Conspiracy? And How Dasani is really made.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 11:13 AM
link   
The Ig-Nobel Awards took place last night at Harvard University, providing a humurous alternative to the Nobel Prize. If you don't know much about these awards, here is how one recipient explains it:

Marc Abrahams, who conceived the awards 14 years ago, said that the "Igs" are given to studies or inventions judged to have done most in making people laugh and then think. Mr Abrahams, who publishes the Journal of Improbable Research, said the prizes honour the "whipped cream of humanity", or those thinkers who are either eccentrically brilliant or brilliantly eccentric.

The medicine prize this year went to two researches who believe they have linked country music with a higher suicide rate:

The medicine prize was won by Steven Stack of Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan, and James Gundlach of Auburn University in Alabama, who published an investigation into the effect of country music on suicide. The study found that country music, with its emphasis on marital discord, alcoholism and social alienation, can be linked with an increased suicide rate.

"The results of a multiple regression analysis of 49 metropolitan areas show that the greater the airtime devoted to country music, the greater the white suicide rate," the two researchers found.

news.independent.co.uk... story=567654

Another significant winning idea was awarded to Coca-Cola for how they produce their mineral water, Dasani:

Miracle water

The Coca-Cola company takes the chemistry prize for using advanced technology to convert liquid from the river Thames into Dasani, the "mineral" water that had to be withdrawn for precautionary reasons.

Though the country music-suicide link may seem like a bit of a stretch, it does provide some thought-provoking questions about what we are listening to. Not only should you pay careful attention to the lyrics of country music, but of all music you may listen to. It is easy to zone out from the lyrics of a song, but it may very well put some sub-conscious thoughts into your pysche.

The Dasani water award is just plain disgusting.

EDIT: I did a search for Dasani production and came up with this interesting article: www.time.com... 315-598483,00.html

The article explains how Dasani is made in different parts of the world for different consumers and a varying combination of water and minerals.

[edit on 3-10-2004 by Jamuhn]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
www.bash.org...

My thoughts exactly.

DE

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 10:42 PM
link   
i just did term paper-presentation on suicide and country music and from the research and studies that i read and presentd, i came to the conclusion that it may have a bit to do with the lyrics,but more to do with the lifestyle. people who activley listen to country are usually working class,lower income,and less educated...adding to their dispair. give me a few and i will list the links i used in my presentation.

new topics

join