It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are You Ready to Work Until You’re 80?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Yahoo Link

A seemingly off-hand remark made by Robert Benmosche the CEO of AIG (AIG) has become a bit of a viral online debate, as people of all ages and walks of life weigh in on the idea of bumping up the retirement age to 80

This is very bad. Quite some websites are talking about this "brilliant" idea of pushing retirement age this far. Its a lot like slavery, you are expected to work as long as you live and to live as long as you can work. And of course share half of your work with the government (being taxed) !

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
"Get a job you bum!"

Just doesn't have the ring it's supposed to when you're talking to your Grandmother, or Great Grandmother for that matter.

Because that's the problem in this country right? People don't want to work enough? Oh yea.. right.

Also, I'd just like to add that I briefly watched the video in your source link, and I have to say I'm pretty GD sick of watching news interviews where it's just a schlep promoting his book and nothing more.
edit on 4-6-2012 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
fat #ing chance.

its a yahoo article. move along, nothing to see here. I think anyone, aware or not of the chaos will not work themselves to death.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I have no words to express my disgust with this idea....
Perhaps the politicians would like to try the idea out first, and let us know how it goes as they age......
retirement is a fair deal at 65......
At least that gives you a few years to recover from the wifey cashing in around fifty something, and killing the plans for early retirement because she figures shes gonna but youre not....which is an all too common outcome these days.....

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
hey how about this? give up the glamour. stop building houses that take 30 years to pay. stop buying over priced car. stop eating expensive meat every night.stop buying over priced clothes. don't have a huge family. cancel your cable, dig for real beauty in life so you don;t have to spend money to buy entertainment, don't over extend your life

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
hey how about this? give up the glamour. stop building houses that take 30 years to pay. stop buying over priced car. stop eating expensive meat every night.stop buying over priced clothes. don't have a huge family. cancel your cable, dig for real beauty in life so you don;t have to spend money to buy entertainment, don't over extend your life

One of the smartest things i have ever heard on this site!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Romanian

Or maybe he's just subtly letting us know that there will be no pension when we all reach that age so working is the only option?

It was either the 80's or the 90's that the large pension firms in the UK saw 40-60% of their funds vaporise on the stock exchange. They blamed the market, bad investments, yada yada but the pension firm, just like the bank, always makes its money, it was the policy holders that suffered and for most of them, it was too late in their working life to be able to do much about it. Since then things haven't gotten an awful lot better and there are regular warnings in the press of the increasing financial burden, yada yada. The same crap they always tell us basically.
edit on 4/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Clarification

edit on 4/6/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Seeing the current fiscal state of the world and nation, I don't see many people not having to work until they die.

I personally know that I will have to work just to live well into my 80's. (I am many decades from that time.) Although I don't expect to live that long, between the environment, the toxins and genetic engineering in staple foods, the toxins in packaging and the chemical laden processed food, not to mention the stressors of life these days, I imagine I might only get another 15 years anyway. I'm hoping it isn't drawn out that long though.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
No I wont work till I'm 80 thats why I smoke 2 packs a day. I'm hopeing I croak before I'm 50 and people won't hire me because of my age.

If I had a pension and could retire someday I might think differently.
edit on 4-6-2012 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
The way my wife spends money. . . .

I'll be working until I'm 90!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

Its amazing how far a smaller income can go if you cut out the things that you dont need.......

So many people gripe about how they cant afford this or that... and never stop to consider how they really could possibly make it, and still have plenty of free-time to spend doing something they enjoy instead of working their hands to the bones.

edit on 5-6-2012 by Isabelx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by biggmoneyme

lol this is what they call "recession" , when people stop buying stuff for a period of time. But, I agree this would be the way to go! Sustainability and exponential economical growth do not work together very well..
edit on 5-6-2012 by Romanian because: (no reason given)

top topics

join