It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: "Operation Baghdad" in Haiti; Protests Leave 12 Dead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Protests in support for the return of ousted President Jean Bertrand Aristide has left 12 people dead in Haiti. Several incidents have led to the decapitation of 3 Haitian police officers, which rebels have dubbed "Operation Baghdad". With charges of conspiracy against the U.S. government for Aristide's sudden departure, the Anti USA sentiment is growing among Pro Aristide supporters, who commit violence against anyone who opposes them.

www.miami.com
The headless bodies of three police officers turned up Friday. They, along with a fourth policeman, were killed in clashes Thursday in the capital Port-Au-Prince, police said.

"Aristide's partisans have begun an urban guerrilla operation that they call Operation Baghdad," human rights activist Jean-Claude Bajeux said Saturday. "The decapitations are imitative of those in Iraq, and they are meant to show the failure of U.S. policy in Haiti."

Aristide's Lavalas Family party on Thursday began three days of commemoration of the 1991 coup that toppled Aristide's first government. They are demanding an end to the "occupation" by foreign troops - referring to the U.S.-led force that followed Aristide's February ouster and U.N. peacekeepers who have taken over since June.

Aristide, now in exile in South Africa, has accused U.S. agents of kidnapping him when he was flown out of Haiti on a U.S.-chartered jet amid a bloody rebellion. But the U.S. government insists Aristide left of his own free will.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I am sorry to be saying this, but with people starving and homeless in your country, finding time to protest for the return of Aristide seems absolutely absurd to me. I can't believe that these Haitians are now using the methods of terrorists from Iraq to make their point. How can anyone say the world is a safer place than it was before the Invasion of Iraq? You can't. Not when the idealogy of terrorism seems to be spreading to the far corners of the world.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
So your point of this post is to make a political statement condemning Bush for the invasion of Iraq? Using logic you would say that the world would be a better place today if Sadam Hussein was still in power. It might be but I think the world would be a lot worse off later on.

For the uneducated, you have to let these dictators build up stockpiles of missles and nuclear bombs first along with chemical and biological weapons before you invade their countries otherwise the world will be better off for awhile with them still in power. I guess it would have been better for the USA to let Sadam nuke some other countries first too, then everyone would see a "threat". We could of had 10 or 12 years of relative peace before I estimate this would have happened but I can't prove anything now.

Things are bad and have always been bad in Haiti. I don't see the world community doing any massive relief efforts. Maybe the world doesn't really care that much. I mean thousands died in Haiti from tropical storm Jeanne but this post focuses on the invasion of Iraq as causing terrible problems in Haiti that resulted in a massive loss of less than a dozen or so.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 04:07 PM
link   
What it bothers me as somebody that is from the Caribbean and �we have a large group of illegal Haitians in PR� is the beheading done in Haiti, and this troubles me. I wonder when we are going see things like this happening in my littler island as a protest against US, after all PR is US territory.

I am afraid that the antiterrorist groups are migrating and planting their roots all over and while we are fighting "for the liberation of Iraq" these terrorist groups are spreading all over the world.

new topics

join