It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How our Senses Affect our Reality.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:24 PM
link   
The 5 senses we know about definitely have a huge impact on our life and our understanding and awareness of our surroundings.

A really cool experiment to do is to try and temporarily turn off a sense. Also, sometimes a sense becomes dulled and it is out of your control. Let me give a few examples.

The other day I was at the gym and I brought my new earphones along. I put my earphones in and played music while I jogged on a treadmill. It was incredible how much it changed my exercise experience. Usually the gym is a very loud place, but with my earphones in, it felt like it was just me in there, running on the treadmill and listening to my music. I was actually able to exercise better with that new found focus of tuning out the sounds around me.

Over the last couple years, my eyesight started to get a little bad. It runs in my family, so it wasn't unexpected or anything, just my genes. I am I guess what they called nearsighted, where I can see things up close fine, but things that are far away start getting a little fuzzy.

A few months ago, I finally got some eyeglasses, and what a difference it makes. When I wear them, it is like I have HD vision, and I really enjoy the clarity it brings my surroundings, especially when I am outdoors enjoying nature.

This next one is something we have all experienced. When I get a bad cold, I lose my sense of smell. Of course smell and taste are intricately intertwined, so when you get a bad cold, you are losing somewhat a sense of your smell and taste, and that sucks.

Anyway, just felt like sharing how much senses affect our every day lives. Would love to hear from all of you and your thoughts on the matter.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

With regards to the Earphones in the Gym part. Your not really dulling out a sense your actually focusing one and giving it more attention than the rest. I listen to music when i run aswell and the music, or the beat, actually makes me run further. I guess it takes my mind off my tiredness. I also challenge myself to run till the end of the song and then the next one.

I guess i,d call it sense overtion, maybe.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by SolarE-Souljah

Hope you are well mate.

Got quite a personal and long story about my own life here that I hope people read, especially if they suffer from loss of a sense...

I began my life with all my senses intact and working perfectly. However when I was 3 years old I suffered from the mumps. This left me over 90% deaf in both ears, I was very sick and nearly died in hospital.

I do not remember the earlier parts of my life such as above and the deafness went undetected until I was around 5 years old at school. The teachers noticed I seemed to have a lack of attention when in fact is was that I could not hear them.

I was given a hearing test and my parents were told that I needed to attend a school for the deaf. They insisted that I stay in a public school, I was given hearing aids which only increased the volume of the distorted sounds I hear and allowed to go back to the school I attended.

The years that I remember were not too nice, I was picked on by students that were far bigger and older than myself and bullied about having hearing aids. The memory I remember most was when a year 7 (I was year 3 making me 8 years old) student smacked my head with a snowball and punched me in the side of the head making one of my hearing aids fall to the ground and at that moment I had enough, I threw the other hearing aid to the ground, smashed it to pieces with my foot and beat the older kid up in a fit of anger. This ultimately resulted in me having to go to a meeting with my parents, the school and the public health authority that gave me the hearing aids where I was told either I get new hearing aids, wear them and I get to keep attending school or I go to a school for the deaf. I told them I would never wear hearing aids ever again.

I ended up in a special school for the deaf and dumb, sitting in a classroom of silence with teachers who were giving sign language too me or speaking to me with words that were distorted because they were completely deaf themselves. I went to this school for a few days, I was sitting with teachers who were making me read children's nursery rhymes with big pictures etc whilst I could fluently read a normal book to give an idea of where my knowledge was at during the time.
The sort of pushing point came during a basketball match when I kept getting hit with the ball as I could not hear any vocal sounds of people shouting before they passed to me and I decided this was too much to take.

I came home that day and begged my parents to let me go back to a normal school promising I would wear hearing aids at all times. They called the school along with the health service, I had a few days off and was back to the school with the hearing aids in my ears. I wore them at all times but never switched them on and began to focus on everyone around me with body language and the movement of their lips. I did switch them on a few times of course but the nature of my deafness makes human speech out of reach, it only amplifies the strange sounds I hear.

Anyways, I do not want to write a novel here

As the years went by I realised that I could tell by body language, eyes, faces and lip reading a person that I could get by, if I ever got it wrong I could always simply say "Sorry, what did you say?" or "What?.

I got through all my classes at school, my older education and various jobs. Anytime I have ever dared tell anyone that I am over 90% deaf, I get spoken to like I am a complete idiot and it is simply pathetic.

I only have my wife (who I told after 5 years together, now 10 years together) and my best friend that knows my secret.

But the best thing about being deaf to speech for me is that the attention I have had to pay to others movements, speech, body language, facial expressions and so on has enabled me to become a self taught Professional Hypnotist.

Here is a video of the first thirty odd minutes of a show I did, from a member of the audience, the camera is not the best or the footage but I will be doing a show with professional footage around August or September...

Now they laugh with me, not at me.

Best thing is, nobody in my real life knows I am so deaf and I love overcoming it now, it became the making of me so for anyone younger going through hell, I hope this brings you a bit of comfort.

I also enjoy making music for fun, but to do that I have to turn my headphones up to the point that the sounds can be heard from the other end of my house

I hope this does not sound too boastful or egotistical, that is certainly not my aim. I am just happy that I have managed to overcome every single thing that I was repeatedly and constantly told I could never do by my family and teachers during my earlier days.

edit on 3-6-2012 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

wow thats quite a story, i think the only thing worse than being deaf, is being blind. Im so glad you triumphed over adversity.

But the best thing about being deaf to speech for me is that the attention I have had to pay to others movements, speech, body language, facial expressions and so on has enabled me to become a Professional Hypnotist.

Im just curious how these skills make you a better hypnotist. Bare in mind that i only have hypnotists that ive seen on T.V as experience. There are lots of things that these skills would improve but hypnotist would,nt be one that jumped in my head. Did you just fall in love with the idea and make it happen?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
You have only 5 senses to perceive all of consciousness. Those senses are routed though the rather inefficient brain - which was split in half to make it even less efficient and that is how you "perceive" the reality you project. In truth, our senses are simply horrendous. As another poster pointed out, an ailment, a bump, or over exposure to something can render any one of the senses defective or worse. A cold and you can't smell and may loose hearing function - a cold!

The most egregious offender of failure is the eye system. Our eyes are so poor, the can only see in a TINY fraction of the full spectrum of what there is to see, yet we just know we see everything. Scientist and others feel that these eyes and equipment designed to enhance the eyes, all there needs to be to asses the entire workings of the entire consciousness. Our crappy, easily influenced, senses are going to tell us everything we need to know about the entire consciousness? It's laughable if it wasn't so sad.

In truth we have many more senses, Ingo Swann reckons we have 17 in total, with 12 we don't even bother to access at all in a conscious manner but a few we might use in the background. Back to the OP, were we to use all 17, the reality we project would be a far greater mixture of interesting energy, and we'd be far less subject to influences that knock us back to the heavy realty we choose to project. As the OP points out, happy music will make you shop more! Stores play the same endless loop of crappy feel-good music to get folks to buy more because distortion in one sense, when combined with another sense (eyes) creates a brain effect that encourages reckless spending - our senses hard at work.

Does a blind person have less of a reality experience because a sense is gone? Does a deaf person? They might express their reality differently but they are part of the whole.

How big is the Universe we sighted people see in the sky to all the blind people on the planet? The Universe is still there....

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by EncompassAll
reply to post by XXXN3O

wow thats quite a story, i think the only thing worse than being deaf, is being blind. Im so glad you triumphed over adversity.

But the best thing about being deaf to speech for me is that the attention I have had to pay to others movements, speech, body language, facial expressions and so on has enabled me to become a Professional Hypnotist.

Im just curious how these skills make you a better hypnotist. Bare in mind that i only have hypnotists that ive seen on T.V as experience. There are lots of things that these skills would improve but hypnotist would,nt be one that jumped in my head. Did you just fall in love with the idea and make it happen?

I just tried a technique I thought of myself after noticing how people communicate with each other, it was initially to help me because I cannot hear speech.

Particularly with touch and especially when I had been the subject of people who thought they were my superior over the years. Pay attention in your own life, if you have a really confident boss who undermines you for example, they will put their hand on your shoulder or arm and rest it. It might even be a close friend that does it. We all do it without knowing we do but if you take a step back and take it all in and use it. It becomes something better.

There is so much people give away even in a smile or a look at times.

I tried something through touching arms, legs, shoulders and head that I thought might work. I did this with my own wife (family is meant to be hardest to hypnotise). Did not say a word and she went straight to sleep.

After this, I began doing handshakes and then other things such as telling people they had a an elastic band over the hands and it was getting tighter.

I did what I thought would work and it would work. Ive taken it from there really, obviously have insurance now (UK here) and have checked with the law that what I do is completely within the hypnotism act, which it is.

I tend not to follow anyone in life because everyone I ever listened to has only ever told me I cannot do something. The only person in the world of stage entertainment I admire and aspire towards would have to be Derren Brown.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Cool, your sense of alomost playful experimentation appeals to me. Yeah i can see how it all fits now. I bet those who know you are a bit warey when you,ve had a couple of drinks lol. Being able to put my GF to sleep at will really appeals for some reason hehe.

Keep on Keeping on and i hope to see you on T.V or at a venue near me sometime.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by crankyoldman

In truth we have many more senses, Ingo Swann reckons we have 17 in total, with 12 we don't even bother to access at all in a conscious manner but a few we might use in the background.

Do you think we may evolve to use them all one day if this is true?

Or do you think we,ve devolved, in a sense in that area compared to when we were a younger species?

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

Cool, your sense of alomost playful experimentation appeals to me. Yeah i can see how it all fits now. I bet those who know you are a bit warey when you,ve had a couple of drinks lol. Being able to put my GF to sleep at will really appeals for some reason hehe.

Keep on Keeping on and i hope to see you on T.V or at a venue near me sometime.

Anytime I end up at a house party it normally results in a few laughs, I enjoy making people laugh as long as volunteers are alright with it.

Here's a little snippet of mobile footage from the last house party I was at with friends...

(was a lady who thought hypnosis was a lot of nonsense, I shook her hand and told her she would have the most intense "O" of her life when I said that word
)

Whatever happens ill be happy with.

Things are speeding up, not sure if TV will happen, doubt it a lot but ive got a theater in Essex in touch which was my dream if I ever did this sort of thing in life.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Thank you very much to your contribution to this thread. You bring a very unique viewpoint on the entire matter.

Also, another poster had mentioned how there are more than 5 senses, and I agree with you completely. I decided to focus on the main 5, but if anyone has any experiences with the other ones, feel free to share.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Hehe you see, im in the i,ll never be hypnotised section. Although im quite happy to accept it can be done.

I think i want to become a hypnotist, its about the only chance ive got of giving a women the "O" her life.

OMG this subject is a mine field of inuendo.
edit on 3-6-2012 by EncompassAll because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

reply to post by XXXN3O

Hehe you see, im in the i,ll never be hypnotised section. Although im quite happy to accept it can be done.

I think i want to become a hypnotist, its about the only chance ive got of giving a women the "O" her life.

Something for you to try if you ever want to...

Ask someone to look into your eyes (ignore anything they say but if they start looking away, tell them to keep looking into your eyes). When they are looking into your eyes, blink like you are starting to fall asleep yourself, the other person will start blinking and then begin to blink as if you would when you are tired. Wait until you are blinking and they are mirroring your eyelids.

When you see that, take their arm gently, which ever one you are most comfortable with, move it back in forth and move it in circles then tell them to relax a few times and when they least expect it, jerk their arm towards you and say "sleep" in a demanding tone but keep it as soft as possible.

They will go to sleep if they are focusing on you.

If it works, presto, you just started a new venture, go from there and if you can do this one in a few attempts, you are pretty good from the stuff I have read these days

If you do ever try this or anyone else, you can tell them that they will come back to the room when they feel ready to do so. They will wake up from it and believe it never happened but will remember it the next day or after a few hours have passed. If they do not wake up, which is very rare, do a count from 1 to 10 and tell them that they will feel more refreshed and more awake with every count upwards that you do.

Anyways, ill not post in this thread again for now as I think I am in danger of going off topic.

I do like the idea of more senses than the accepted norm though.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

reply to post by XXXN3O

Something for you to try...

Ask someone to look into your eyes (ignore anything they say but if they start looking away, tell them to keep looking into your eyes). When they are looking into your eyes, blink like you are starting to fall asleep yourself, the other person will start blinking and then begin to blink as if you would when you are tired. Wait until you are blinking and they are mirroring your eyelids.

When you see that, take their arm gently, which ever one you are most comfortable with, move it back in forth and move it in circles then tell them to relax a few times and when they least expect it, jerk their arm towards you and say "sleep" in a demanding tone but keep it as soft as possible.

If it works, presto, you just started a new venture, go from there

If you do ever try this or anyone else, you can tell them that they will come back to the room when they feel ready to do so. They will wake up from it and believe it never happened.

Anyways, ill not post in this thread again for now as I think I am in danger of going off topic.

You know im trying this on the GF if she lets me tommorow. Thanks

I wonder how the first person who done this stuff found out they could do it and it worked. Is there some underlying psychology behind it all? or did they just start doing things to people as you did with your experiments?

I,ve watched a lot of derren brown and the way he describes what he does points to psychological aspects that you can take advantage of. Are you a fan of his?

This is all very fascinating. I love learning new stuff like this.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by XXXN3O

reply to post by XXXN3O

Something for you to try...

If it works, presto, you just started a new venture, go from there

If you do ever try this or anyone else, you can tell them that they will come back to the room when they feel ready to do so. They will wake up from it and believe it never happened.

You know im trying this on the GF if she lets me tommorow. Thanks

I wonder how the first person who done this stuff found out they could do it and it worked. Is there some underlying psychology behind it all? or did they just start doing things to people as you did with your experiments?

I,ve watched a lot of derren brown and the way he describes what he does points to psychological aspects that you can take advantage of. Are you a fan of his?

This is all very fascinating. I love learning new stuff like this.

I found this out by trying something from what I would say is gut instinct through getting by as an almost completely deaf person. That might sound like a lot of nonsense to some people and that is fine, I could not care less as they have not walked in my shoes or wore my ears

One of the first people who ever discovered or practiced what led to hypnosis as it is called these days was called "Franz Mesmer"

You can start an interesting read from this link here on wikipedia...

en.wikipedia.org...

If you follow the trail it will lead into some interesting things.

I am a big fan of Derren Brown as I have said earlier, but that was not what sparked my interest, it was something that came about because I cannot hear people.

If you are going to try anything like what I had suggested and it does not work, do not be too worried, friends and family are the hardest to do it with. I started with family but im just paraphrasing the stuff I have read from self appointed experts in the boards that exist on the internet these days (after I had done a show doing every single thing and more that these "experts" tell you will never work for some reason or another).

In my opinion, if you are doing something for a positive reason and doing it because you want to entertain people, it will work fine. If however you are doing it for darker reasons, that will come across to the person.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   

In truth we have many more senses, Ingo Swann reckons we have 17 in total, with 12 we don't even bother to access at all in a conscious manner but a few we might use in the background.

Do you think we may evolve to use them all one day if this is true?

Or do you think we,ve devolved, in a sense in that area compared to when we were a younger species?

I would say we devolved. Or have been helped to devolve, after all, "the sixth sense" is seen a a novelty and we don't encourage people to cultivate it. I think we'll soon simply transcend the problem altogether. In the meantime, I do feel it is helpful to see our system in a state of decay, and as such, it handicaps in ways we cannot measure. This will often open up gimmicks to get by the problems.

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by XXXN3O

Yep thats very true. I dont think i,ll be able to keep a straight face when im doing it. So im probably not seriouse enough about it to do shows like you do. Thats another skill you,ve got that most have,nt. The ability to stand upp and perform in front of poeple. Me included

I might take it far enough to learn a few party pieces though.

Good luck mate and i hope you get what you desire. You have to try to fail.

I,ll defo read up more on it though, im always up for learning new things.

Peace

posted on Jun, 3 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Very true. Do you have anywhere i might be able to get started on looking in to this. You mention inggo swan. Who is this? I ,d love to find out more.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 07:03 AM
link   
It is not the enviroment that is making sound or vision.
You are making sound and vision.
You are a seeing, hearing, tasting, touching and smelling device.
You can only ever hear the sound you are making.
You are the instrument that plays life.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Very true. Do you have anywhere i might be able to get started on looking in to this. You mention inggo swan. Who is this? I ,d love to find out more.

Ingo has a book you can find online 17 senses I think the title is. Just google, readily available. Interesting read on the other 12 we neglect.

top topics

join