It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the world thinks...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Given the numbers below.....I think it's safe to assume American is disliked more now than ever before.

Serious US image problem abroad

By Daniel Schorr

WASHINGTON Let me warn you, this is all about numbers, which don't usually make for light reading. But this is an especially chilling set of numbers for anyone who cares what the rest of the world thinks of us.

They were compiled by Daniel Yankelovich, an opinion expert who is the chairman and founder of Public Agenda. Here goes:

Only 12 percent of Muslims believe that the United States respects Islamic values. And only 7 percent believe the West understands Muslim culture.

Eleven percent approve of President Bush. The invasion of Iraq deepened anti-American animosity in Arab countries. Thirteen percent of Egyptians, 6 percent of Jordanians, and 3 percent of Saudi Arabians hold a favorable opinion of the United States.

Majorities in 7 out of 8 Muslim countries worry about a military threat from the United States - that includes 74 percent in Indonesia, 72 percent in Nigeria, 72 percent in Pakistan, and 71 percent in Turkey.

Fifty-six percent of people in Muslim nations believe Iraq will be better off since the toppling of Saddam Hussein.

What do our European friends think of us? The post-9/11 perception in Europe is that the US is acting solely in its own interest, without regard for the interests of its allies. Among Germans, 85 percent held this view; French, 80 percent; British, 73 percent; and Italians, 68 percent.

How many of America's traditional friends in Europe join the Muslims in considering the United States a threat to world peace? Eighty-eight percent of Greeks, 63 percent of the Dutch, 55 percent of the British. And a surprisingly low 52 percent of the French.

Professor Yankelovich says that, in some countries, distrust and dislike of the United States have doubled and tripled in the space of a single year.

The Pew Global Attitudes Project, which conducted a great deal of the research, concludes that the war in Iraq has further inflamed the Muslim world and widened the rift with Western Europe.

www.csmonitor.com...

Doesn't this make America less secure?

[edit on 3-10-2004 by loam]

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 02:43 AM
link   
loam,

I'm used to being disliked. I hold on to my views with a steely grip that can't be shaken. If the world hates us for doing what is right, then I say let the world continue to hate us. As long as this country remains intact, I couldn't care less about what anyone else thinks.

Thanks for the list of stats though. It's something that Americans already know. Now they're just going to have to get used to it.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 02:49 AM
link   
No one in Australia dislikes America, no one that I've talked to anyway.

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by madhatter
No one in Australia dislikes America, no one that I've talked to anyway.

I hope you didn't get me wrong. Most all the English-speaking world have good relatations with each other. I happen to like Australia very much, as well as New Zealand, Canada and the United Kingdom. The people of Australia has a good disposition in my book as well as the other countries I've mentioned.

Maybe we could teach the whole world how to speak English and then we'd all understand one another better!
Just may bring about the peace we're searching for!

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
with the present leadership sadly they are both muslim and islamic stating a very good point Im afaird we are going be greatly mistrusted for the rest of time by these two groups and thats sad considering we need to not alienate these people cause they hold a large part of the natural resource the US wants most patroleum but besides the economic reasons their concerns are justified in humanitarian areas I dred the day we are headed for where the largest collection of the worlds most unpredictable countries are mad at us they command a large amount of the worlds craziest and most hostile non military assets that will die just for the glory and praise they wont hear because they are already dead we are so screwed that we are going to be a target even after we leave the area they are going to be attacking our homes even more in retaliation

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:13 PM
link   

If the world hates us for doing what is right

It's not the WHAT it's the HOW

And we don't hate you.. we are temporarily pissed.
We would like to be treated like the allies we are and not like minions...

posted on Oct, 3 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Is a difference between disliking Americans and disliking the America government, personally? I don't think people around the world dislike Americans.

But most of them dislike what the American government is doing in Iraq.

join