It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DoJ position letter re:Baltimore PD General Order J-16 "DO NOT prevent citizens from videotaping"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
This is where I'm supposed to add my own comments, but I kind of have a headache after reading 11 pages. Great stuff though. I've fought this issue for years, right up to CP Judge's face, and in spite of the DA's manipulation, and state + local cops gestapo policies, this DoJ report reads like one of my courthouse rants. (we have a 2-party wiretap law here).

Great read. I'll be back. -Clark

www.wired.com...

edit on 1-6-2012 by FlyingFox because: typos

edit on 1-6-2012 by FlyingFox because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   
That is awesome to read. I think I will print this one and carry it around with me.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyingFox

You mention that you have fought this case...is this your case? I'm confused. It is a good read. Whoever wrote this letter understands the spirit of the law. The spirit of the law is fair and not geared to protect or restrain any individual. Sometimes legal professionals tend to read too much into the letter of the law without understanding that law in its spirit is designed to be fair.

This is a good read with plenty of caselaw to back up its position.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
From OP's source:

“Members of the press and members of the general public enjoy the same rights in any area accessible to the general public.” Id. at 4.
“No individual is required to display ‘press credentials’ in order to exercise his/her right to observe, photograph, or video record police activity taking place in an area accessible to, or within view of, the general public.” Id.

Thats helpful too if the police demand press credentials...

So the Justice dept. has issued a statement. Think their charges at the state and local level are listening?

top topics

join