It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social downer: Anonymous crash Facebook, lock out thousands

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Social downer: Anonymous crash Facebook, lock out thousands

www.rt.com

An attack orchestrated by the infamous hacktivist group Anonymous forced Facebook offline, with many of its 900 million users unable to log onto the social network for hours.

Anonymous took to Twitter, using their @YourAnonNews handle to say “looks like good old Facebook is having packet problems,” and sprinkled it with some no-nonsense hashtags like ##Facebook and ##YourIPO.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
So that's what that was, tried to log on last night and couldn't get on. Not sure about this legion or whatever they do, could easily have been technical issues FB were having and someone just jumped on the bandwagon claiming to have carried it out.

False promises of having UFO info and possible fake claims on cyber attacks, are Anonymous even real?

www.rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Anonymous are very real.

It's just a matter of deciphering the ones worth listening to.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by b3l13v3
Anonymous are very real.

It's just a matter of deciphering the ones worth listening to.

Well until the genuine Anonymous do something really interesting, I'll remain skeptical.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I welcome their actions.

Getting really bored with Facebook anyway.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
If there is one thing the world doesn't need,
Its facebook.

The only thing FB is good for is organizing dissent.

Good on you Anon, make the kiddies go out and play for a few hours.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I love any of the Anonymous threads on ats, the responses remind me of this quote in relation to peoples understanding of what Anonymous even is.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Now that FB is a public company being traded on the stock market a cyber attack has larger implications than it did before.

27.92 -1.68 (-5.66%)

FB

5% on a short sell ain't bad is it?

I wouldn't mind making 5% on all the money I have invested, in one day (a few hours).

Anon was it?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
So thats why I got locked out of FaceBook! Well, I love Anonymous anyway. Even though.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
OMG is that why i cant play farmville and slot-o-mania!?!? I guess ill have to peek my head out of the house and get some sunshine for once!! Whats the problem with that?

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zcustosmorum
False promises of having UFO info

No, that wasn't them. It was a group of trolls posing as Anonymous. That whole UFO thing was just a hoax, and a poor hoax at that. The YouTube videos didn't even look legitimate.

If the real Anonymous had real UFO information they probably would have spilled it for the whole world to see by now. Why would they hoard it? They have nothing to lose by spilling information.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Leaving Facebook was one of the best things I've ever done. I realized how self-absorbed I became and realized that FB friends, though they were once people I knew in real life, were just as virtual as the platform I chatted with them on. Upon leaving, people actually said to me, "If you leave FB we'll never talk! I don't talk on the phone anymore." I decided at that moment, I would never go back and realized that the friendships that FB romanticized were better left in the past where they belonged.

Maybe everyone needs a FB vacation once and a while, and if they can't do it themselves, Anonymous doing it for them might be a nice reality check. Grow fruits and vegetables instead of virtual farming... like--really like--things happening in the world and get involved, instead of sticking a blue thumb up a million times a day. Forge friendships with actual people instead of friending kids from a million years ago you didn't even really like then... the world, despite its faults, is awesome and it pays to check it out a little bit

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
A multi billion dollar IPO and zuck can't even place the necessary security measures.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Oh, those poor, poor Yuppies! Locked out of their precious picture vanity sites! How would they ever survive something like this. Incommunicato! Oh, the horrors! The only thing worse I can imagine would be a shortage of bottled water.

I wish it would stay down Permanently. For that matter, I'd wish even worse on all mobile phones...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mountaingirl1111

I Like You, Mountaingirl!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainLJB
reply to post by mountaingirl1111

I Like You, Mountaingirl!

Likewise

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Oh noes, what will the masses do without FB? ^_^

AOL for the 21st Century certainly is of little use!

Derek

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
everyone i know and myself have been able to log in no problem for the past few....years... well done 12yo basement dwellers...keep it up *yawn*

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Here is a thread that cast some light on Facebook.
When you put two and two together It' a plan.

Chuck Schumer Denounces Eduardo Saverin Defenders, Nazi ... , ...
www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread844283/pg1

Topic started on 25-5-2012 @ 12:50 PM by longjohnbritches ... www.zimbio.com/ Eduardo+Zayas/articles/Xut2N7CVISx/Chuck+Schumer+Denounces+Eduard.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Zcustosmorum

Have been away from Facebook for months. I don't miss the seemingly endless "cruising" and searching. Don't miss the family turmoil that ended up there. And I do not miss the inanity of so called "friends".

top topics

<<   2 >>

join