It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milky Way is headed for a crash course about to collide into another galaxy!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Any idea why it says our Solar System would be fine? Surely if the Sun gets flung out into another part of the Milky Way as a result of the collision, the momentum, etc, involved would mean a seriously bumpy ride for us?

Waaayyyy beyond my scientific understanding!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

one word.....

SPACE

and lots of it.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

Yeah, ok. Still though, surely anything living on earth then wouldn't be by the time it got to it's new position? Don't mean us though........we will be long gone anyway......

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder
reply to post by boncho

Yes, the Earth will most likely avoid collision but that does not mean it will "survive". Here is a more serious video showing what a collision between galaxies would look like. It's like throwing two clumps of sand at each other. A vast number of sand particles from each pile will simply pass right by each other, but a large amount will impact each other. Most important however, when the piles collide the shape of each pile will be vastly distorted. Our solar system and our orbit around the Sun will most likely be distorted and the entire planet could even be ejected from the solar system or even the galaxy.

edit on 1-6-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

I saw that occur in the top of my pint of stout last night...."LOOK!" says I. "Behold the merging of two galaxies in me pint". I stared at it until it settled into one stable one again then drank it. Today I wake up to this news.
Yes people did look at me funny..

Now I have a twinge of guilt that I may have devoured worlds.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Acording to this link milky way already has collided with another galaxy We have already collided with another galaxy several times.

This galaxy is orbiting the milky way and has collided with us as many as 10 times. We're still here. Guess this isn't as bad as we think. There are other links in the link provided that include the press release from 1994. Old news I guess.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Who gives a crap? In 4 billion years there won't be anyone left to give a damn.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Im wondering what happens when two blackholes collide, because thats pretty much whats going to happen, will one over power the other, start devouring incoming stars, Andromena is much bigger than the milky way, I dont think anyone can simulate what wil happen, because we've never even seen this occur, and never will, our lives are not long enough. I think some weird things will occur, Fabrc of space will get ripped apart, and we all fall through, but where do we fall too.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
What is all the debackle about..
TIME??

In 4b years our sun will be a red giant and earth
will be scorched, and ill be sitting in an old rusty
station in orbit of Europa drinking a cold one..

You know, medicals get better and better...Just
search for all kinds of lifeprolonging substances,
and all those other medicals...

Ill take your bet Boncho...

Sya there...

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
reply to post by kyred

But in all seriousness, the idea of the solar system or galaxy dying is sometimes scarier than ourselves meeting the same fate. And I'm not quite sure why!

sorry, but i find nothing scary about what is going to happen 3 billion years into the future, nada, zilch, zippo. i am fearless as far as that is concerned

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I do believe that within that space between star clusters and such, within the 2 galaxies, wouldnt have much effect on each other...

The real magic happens as the super massive black holes within each galaxy nears each other

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

Say we are alive .. when this occurs.. as you said the fabric of space/time would be ripped apart.

I tend to think that as this would occur... we would get turned 'inside out'.

I like to think that there is a whole other version of space .. inside space.Very much how we view space through different spectrum's. As if "space" itself has a "skeleton"

sorta like this... ( i mean towards the end of the video )

edit on 1-6-2012 by LeoStarchild because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by boncho

Little known fact: (speaking of the sun)

The amount of power the sun generates, volume for volume is about 2% of what the compost pile in your backyard does...

I need a source for that Chad.

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

In terms of where to go, that may have already been decided by the lucky (or unlucky) few. There is a large and obviously human construction on Mars that looks remarkably like an airport building. This was found by accident by an armchair explorer named David Martines using Google Mars only a couple of weeks ago. It has been downgraded by someone (guess who) and is not so clear as it was, but it is still obvious. Since NASA obviously know nothing about it. Who built it? As a science journalist I have a pretty good idea.
Google Brian Noble The Third Explanation. In there you will find the answers. I promise you!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I posted a thread because your's didn't show up when I searched.
Any way I thought the article was well done and pretty good imagination candy.
bump and flag ljb

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I still think it's a sad situation to contemplate.

I mean, what will happen to all our poor coffins, grave yards, and bones.

I just think about everything great that's ever happened on Earth and then think....what a waste!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Just Chris

I mean, what will happen to all our poor coffins, grave yards, and bones.

circa FOUR billion years from now??

Least of your "worries".....

Oh, and just so you know......the odds of this planet Earth being adversely affected? Minimal.

When you consider the vast distances between stars, in any organized "galaxy" or other cluster of stars......when they inter-act, it's is as if a swarm of bees were all hundreds of miles apart (the "stars" represented by "bees" in this example)........each individual "bee" hundreds of miles from any of its neighbors. (I used "bees" as a size reference.....and the "hundreds of miles" to put it into perspective, and to scale).

So, whilst the Galaxy (ours) and Andromeda, as "entities" will "merge", there will be very little "personal interaction" between stars.......merely because of the great distances between them.

IF one could live to be over 5 Billion years old, it would be fascinating to observe the outcome, of the two galaxies' merger.....whether the gravitational forces keep them together, as one new "merged" galaxy, or if they separate, eventually, and continue on in the "Local Cluster" of of other neighborhood galaxies, altered, but independent..........

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Its already happening. Sol isnt from the Milky Way, but is being sucked through with countless other stars from a minor galaxy that crossed paths with the MW, or at least thats what i read on Space.Com

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

"Sol" is over five Billion years old.....cut him/(her) some slack, OK??

(LOL)....teasing, of course........

"Sol" is driving in the fast lane, with his/(her) "blinker" on......give him/(her) a break!!!

edit on 1-6-2012 by PluPerfect because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I see your Nibiru and raise you an Andromeda.

So, cool..Milky way will turn into an epic Andromilky wayeda galaxy.

Suck it Markarian! You and your fancy 2 black holes...lets see who's laughing in 4 billion years!!!

posted on Jun, 1 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Incidentally, I plan on being around to see this event!

I actually plan on living forever
so far, so good...

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join