It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oklahoma Rape Victim Denied Emergency Contraceptives. Doctor Cites Religious Objection As Reason

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
News Link

Wow another instance where I'm left shaking my head.
This poor woman was raped and the doctor at the hospital refused to give her a morning after pill.
Because it was against her belief.
So the rape victims rights were trampled upon because of someone else's beliefs.

The young woman asked the doctor whether or not emergency contraceptives were available and whether the doctor was simply refusing to provide them. The nurse told her “I will not give you emergency contraceptives because it goes against my belief.” The doctor refused to help her, even though she had just been raped, and refused to find another doctor to help her.

I've posted this before. A persons rights begin where mine end.
The doctor is free to believe what she wants.
However that should not give her the right to deny the girls rights either.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Go to another doctor..

Simple as that, if it was true
she would not be debating
with this crazy doctor she would
be getting her ass in gear to find
one who would.. Time is
of the essence, it would be silly
to stay there and argue.
Surely this was NOT the ONLY
doctor...

,” you can actually use any type of emergency contraceptive pill for up to 5 days (120 hours) and still significantly reduce the chance that you’ll get pregnant.

In the United States, there are two different kinds of emergency contraceptive pills available: ulipristal acetate (ella) and progestin-only (Plan B One-Step, Next Choice and Levonorgestrel Tablets).

ella is a prescription-only product. It is more effective than progestin-only EC, particularly on the 4th and 5th days after sex. It is more likely to work when taken closer to ovulation than progestin-only pills; this is important because women have the highest chance of getting pregnant, and are most likely to be having sex, immediately before the egg is released. ella is approved for use up to 5 days after unprotected intercourse, with no decrease in effectiveness (this is important because sperm can only live in the body for 5 days).

ec.princeton.edu...

You got five days, go to another doctor
and the police to make sure the ass hole
who raped you goes to prison.

There may have been some kind of agenda behind this,
I sure hope the girl got the help she needed.

Did the nurse and doctor in question
actually say they even said this?
edit on 31-5-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Read the original story. The hospital says it's not equipped to handle rape cases.
They haven't got rape kits. They haven't got doctors or nurses trained in handling rape cases.

Your 'news' sources are left wing sites.
They seem to have overlooked that information.

If you want the truth ... we need to dig in and find out the name of the 'hospital' (if it was a hospital)
and find out why they don't have rape kits and medical staff trained for rape cases.

THAT is where a conspiracy story may be hiding in all this ...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

No idea.
I would think so also.
But the issue was that she should not have been turned away.
It's bad enough to be raped. But then treated as some subhuman trash on top of that.
That blows.

here's a news video clip.
www.news9.com...

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Here ya go.
Local news.

www.news9.com...

View it.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
From the source:

The woman and her daughter were reportedly turned away because the hospital did not have any nurses who conduct rape exams on staff. Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) are specially trained professionals who deal only with the delicate process of conducting rape exams. The SANE program is coordinated through the YWCA and is a collaboration with local law enforcement, the Oklahoma County District Attorney’s Office and public health officials. The collaborative effort is designed to ensure evidence is properly collected and stored without re-traumatizing the victim and ensuring the most effective prosecution of the perpetrator possible.

But the blog continues to beat their agenda in the face of the obvious.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by grey580

The hospital itself said they dont' have rape kits or medical professionals trained for 'rape' situations. That makes me wonder just how big this 'hospital' really is. Was it just a clinic that these left wing sources are calling a hospital? If they haven't got the resources to handle a rape, then they haven't got them. They can't be expected to handle a rape case if they don't have the resources. When a rape comes into a hospital, there has to be special kits used and people have to be trained in how to preserve evidence, etc etc ... (that, in addition to the medical care upon the victim).

Like I said .. find out where this hospital is .. how big is it .. did they have the kits and trained staff and she was turned away anyways OR, is it like the story said - they don't have the facilities to take care of rape victims???

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

The hospital itself said they dont' have rape kits or medical professionals trained for 'rape' situations. That makes me wonder just how big this 'hospital' really is. Was it just a clinic that these left wing sources are calling a hospital? If they haven't got the resources to handle a rape, then they haven't got them. They can't be expected to handle a rape case if they don't have the resources. When a rape comes into a hospital, there has to be special kits used and people have to be trained in how to preserve evidence, etc etc ... (that, in addition to the medical care upon the victim).

Like I said .. find out where this hospital is .. how big is it .. did they have the kits and trained staff and she was turned away anyways OR, is it like the story said - they don't have the facilities to take care of rape victims???

So it is not even known the nurse and doctor
told her the religion line??
How do we know that is really true?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

That's all fine and dandy.
That they didn't have a nurse on staff can be understandable.

However the mother of the rape victim claims that when they asked for contraception the doctor denied the contraception. On basis of religious belief.

Watch the news video.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
News 9

The hospital is Canadian Valley Hospital.

There was no SANE nurse on duty. Seems they rotate.

It's hard to imagine being turned away for a rape exam. But it turns out the nurses who specialize in those exams rotate every month to different hospitals around the metro. They are called Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) and they are specially trained to conduct those exams.

Looks like the mother did go to a different hospital.

However, that's not what this mother is angry about.

The mother said she and her daughter did file a police report about the rape. She's angry that she brought her 24-year-old daughter to the Integris Canadian Valley Hospital emergency room on Sunday, and that the doctor who came in and saw them refused to do any sort of exam or to provide them with any emergency contraceptives.

Not only that, she says the doctor was less than sympathetic when dealing with her daughter, even though she was told she was a victim of a rape.

This mother does say she and her daughter were treated much better when they went to Integris Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City and that they did get a rape exam done.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

However the mother of the rape victim claims that when they asked for contraception the doctor denied the contraception. On basis of religious belief.

The mother can claim that was said but the fact is that if the hospital doesn't have the facilities or the trained personel to handle rapes, then I'm pretty sure that it isn't going to have the emergency contraceptives to hand out either. That's not over-the-counter stuff.

Watch the news video.

I did.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Read the original story. The hospital says it's not equipped to handle rape cases.
They haven't got rape kits. They haven't got doctors or nurses trained in handling rape cases.

Any hospital is trained to take physical samples. It's what they do -- weather it's a throat culture or a cancer biopsy. Also, it's common sense that if someone was raped, you give them the drug that blocks contraception. This is not rocket science, people.

Don't expect a rape victim to behave entirely normally. They've been severely stressed and traumatized.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
We need this baby to grow up to the age of eighteen so we can shoot him out of a cannon at some unbelievers

If the contraceptive was unnessessary even, it wouldn't have hurt to give it to the girl just to be safe
i mean they give people horrible vaccines like tetanus for less of a reason...which has sterilized a lot of innocent women...
edit on 31-5-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-5-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

But then treated as some subhuman trash on top of that.
That blows.

I must have missed that part - or do you personally always feel like subhuman trash when something you request is denied?

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Website for the first hospital

INTEGRIS Canadian Valley Hospital in Yukon opened as a general acute care facility on November 9, 2001. The hospital had been in the planning stages for several years and opened to wide support from the local and surrounding Oklahoma communities. Canadian County is one of the faster growing areas of Oklahoma and includes El Reno, Piedmont, Mustang and Geary. The community of Yukon, OK was the only community of its size that could not claim hospital ownership or having been served by its own local community hospital. This $35 million dollar project for INTEGRIS Health is considered to be one of the most state-of-the-art health care facilities in the state of Oklahoma.

I read it has 75 beds. It's a small hospital.
It is a 'general acute care facility'.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by jcarpenter
Any hospital is trained to take physical samples. It's what they do -- weather it's a throat culture or a cancer biopsy. Also, it's common sense that if someone was raped, you give them the drug that blocks contraception. This is not rocket science, people.

It's not rocket science ... it's medical care. And it takes special training. And they simply don't have it. And apparently, according to the hospital, they don't have the drugs that block contraception because they dont' have the rape kits and the rape-care staff.

It's not rocket science ... if they don't have it then they don't have it.
It's a small 75 bed 'acute care' facility.
They probably don't get that many rapes come in so they use their funds elsewhere for 'acute care'.
Rapes get sent to another hospital that has the facilities to handle it.

Someone can call up the hospital and ask ... do you have facilities and medical staff that can care for rape victims. This isn't hard ... If you guys are that invested in this story then ... CALL and ask. I provided a link to the hospital.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
At this point, all she would have to do is take 2 grams of pure vitamin C (ascorbic acid, no rutin or bioflavinoids) for about a week until her menses begin. I have never stressed over unwanted pregnancy because this remedy is so simple if you know your cycle and your body...which in my opinion, every woman should. Shame on those "medical professionals" for not assisting her when it was her choice to seek the emergency protocol. I just wish more women knew there are other ways than dealing with scum like this doctor.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

This mother does say she and her daughter were treated much better when they went to Integris Baptist Medical Center in Oklahoma City and that they did get a rape exam done.

The girl got the care she needed at a
hospital that could handle the situation...
The only story here now is the mothers
claim to fame.. If the daughter had been
so traumatized, why would the mother
add more to it by having it plastered over the news?
Unless there was an agenda of course. Which now
seems pretty clear. End of story

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by HoppedUp
At this point, all she would have to do is take 2 grams of pure vitamin C (ascorbic acid, no rutin or bioflavinoids) for about a week until her menses begin. I have never stressed over unwanted pregnancy because this remedy is so simple if you know your cycle and your body...which in my opinion, every woman should. Shame on those "medical professionals" for not assisting her when it was her choice to seek the emergency protocol. I just wish more women knew there are other ways than dealing with scum like this doctor.

Which in my opinion some don't
if they think vitamin c would do a damn thing..
Please no pseudo science bull #,
someone might read that and think
it is true.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by popsmayhem

Originally posted by HoppedUp

Which in my opinion some don't
if they think vitamin c would do a damn thing..
Please no pseudo science bull #,
someone might read that and think
it is true.

Your opinion. I have not violated any ROE here (like you did with your profanity) and I may speak my opinion freely as long as I adhere to the rules.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join