It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daytime constelations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   
So first off I used the wonderful search engine and did not find anything so if this has been asked before a polite answer is sufficient not a rip my head off your an idiot use the search feature reply. Moving on having a conversation with a friend a while back we were looking at the stars at dusk and we started talking about what the constellations are you can see at night. Now when it is daylight out you can't see any. So if we could see the stars in daylight what constellations would we be seeing exactly?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

There are a lot of constellations so saying "exactly" which ones you would see is a little tricky.

How about this; all of the constellations which will be visible in the night sky in 6 months would be visible in the day sky now.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

Well , in the summer you see the winters " day time constellation " and in the winter you see the summers " day time constellation " .

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Sorry for the odd wording in the opening post. How it sounded in my head and how it came out.. not the same lol..So I guess a better question would be if I could see the stars during day time hours would I be seeing what the other side of the globe saw during their night time?
edit on 30-5-2012 by w810i because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

No. You're on the other side of the Earth.
Everybody on Earth sees the same stars at night at the same time of year...with slight adjustments for being in the northern or southern hemisphere.

edit on 5/30/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Ok..so with the earth rotating and the sun and the solar system orbiting the milky way itself would it be a region of space not seen in a long time?
edit on 30-5-2012 by w810i because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

No you would be seeing the opposit seasons day time constellation

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

Every six months...with some overlap. So no...not a "long time".

edit on 5/30/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Max_TO
reply to post by w810i

No you would be seeing the opposit seasons day time constellation

So in summer if you could see the stars during the daytime you would be seeing what you would normally see on a winter night and vice versa then?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Hey mate download a program called stellarium. Shows you what is in the sky at any given time. You can even see whats up there during the day by turning off the atmosphere. Its a free program btw.
edit on 30-5-2012 by Boomstix because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Thanks for the answers guys to my question. Appreciate it.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by w810i

Yep

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boomstix
Hey mate download a program called stellarium. Shows you what is in the sky at any given time. You can even see whats up there during the day by turning off the atmosphere. Its a free program btw.
edit on 30-5-2012 by Boomstix because: (no reason given)

Or if you have an Android phone download Google Sky (free) or an iphone/ipad Starwalk HD (have to pay)

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
This graphic might be helpful:

Image Source

Orion can be seen in the winter, because the night side of the earth faces toward Orion in the winter. As Phage mentioned above, everyone will be able to see Orion during the night in the winter as the earth rotates, and people on the day side rotate into night to face the direction of Orion.

In the Summer, the view toward Orion would be from the sunlit side of the Earth -- and thus Orion would be obscured by daylight. The nightime side would be pointed toward Scorpius. Everyone will be able to see Scorpius at night during the summer as the daytime side rotates to face in the direction of Scorpius at night.

edit on 5/31/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

top topics

join