It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plan B (day-after-pill)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I heard this on the radio today. The drug Plan B, which is a day-after-pill, is trying to go over the counter. That means that anyone could walk up into a drug store pull it off the shelf pay their $27.99 go home and kill their child. (i'm not against a WOMANS right to choose but now we are making this drug available to young girls).

this drug prolly won't make it onto store shelves, but what do you guys think. is it okay to just stock your corner stores with abortion drugs like condoms or is this the evidence that we have reached the bottom of ladder when it comes to respect for life over profit?

[Edited on 21-4-2003 by Saphronia]

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 05:32 PM
link   
I have to wonder how effective it is. I think the best effectiveness of the prescription day after pill is only like 70%... are they sure they want to market something that has a 30% failure rate? I can see them getting sued badly for that.

AF1

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I think it's a bad idea. It will give people an excuse why they won't need to practice safe sex. A guy could easily convince a chick that they don't need to have a condom, that if she were to get pregnant then they can just buy the pill. With things like STD's and AIDS this is very dangerous.

How long after does the pill work for? Honestly, some girls won't even know they are pregnant until it's too late.

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 08:52 PM
link   
well, I'm pro-life, so this just pisses me off more.

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 08:57 PM
link   
these pills right now are completely useless, and instead, these people should just have their child and instead of killing it, put it into orphanage or child home. i say don't screw if you can't support the girl you put a seed in.

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenix_cross
these pills right now are completely useless, and instead, these people should just have their child and instead of killing it, put it into orphanage or child home. i say don't screw if you can't support the girl you put a seed in.

hehe

very true. But you have to think, what if george washington had been aborted, or some other important person.

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I think it might give girls (and especially guys) a false sense of security and we'd see pregnancy rates rise as well as STDs.

Plus, doesn't anyone think a pill that does what this pill does needs to be prescribed by a doctor?

Personally, I don't know if 'plan b' - and the others out there - are or aren't an abortifacient. If there was any chance it was, I'd stay away from it. What ever happened to the 'pill' anway?

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Whatever happened to abstinence? What happened to at least using a condom, instead of a (more) insecure method?

People are nuts these days.....

[Edited on 22-4-2003 by mouko_ryuu]

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 09:16 PM
link   
mouko: even better questions (you ask)

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 10:15 PM
link   
First of all, the pill does nothing more than "what God does" so if you're going to scream "murder" go screech at God.

Better yet, go scream at every woman you know every month of her menstrual cycle.

You see, MANY of a woman's fertilized eggs never implant. The body rejects fertilized eggs for a lot of reasons.

She might take the pill... and there were no fertilized eggs anyway.

In short, you don't know what's going on in her body. She might or might not have flushed a fertilized egg.

...and for those who are so insistant she keep the baby, for pity's sake go adopt some of the babies yourselves... and encourage guys to get 'clipped.'

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 10:39 PM
link   
but Byrd, the point of this is having a drug that aborts babies just sitting on the shelves in your local drug store for anyone to buy. regardless to where you stand on the abortion issue you gotta see that this is most definately putting profit over the health and welfare of people and unborn children. to mass produce a drug like this for the intent of over the counter sell is a tell-tale sign that money truly out weighs the well-being of society. as it stands now the drug can only be prescribed for the "day after". but with it readily available there is so much room for abuse. folk could just abort full term babies at home.

and i personally see nothing wrong with a woman having the right to choose to abort an unwanted pregnancy that is between her and god and a doctor not her and the state. but this pill can be abused. it can be used for feticide or 2nd and 3rd trimester abortions (when the baby is more than cells but a thinking feeling human being). there is too much room for abuse someone could slip a pregnant woman some in her drink, anything could happen. the drug should be prescribed by a doctor.

as for folk not being able to raise kids...take care of yourself. there are ways to avoid getting pregnant in the first place...in my opinion this isn't one of them. that's my opinion, though. still, there are plenty of drugs out there that can stop you from getting pregnant. Norplant, the IUD, and depovera don't even take thought on your part. you just go to the doctor and get a shot or have it implanted and in many cases it's free!

and i'm goin off again. i just think this is a sickening thing this drug company is trying to do.

[Edited on 22-4-2003 by Saphronia]

posted on Apr, 21 2003 @ 11:24 PM
link   
if this plan B pill is an abortifacient that would then be very different from the 'pill' - right? or am I wrong?

Otherwise, I'm w/ you Saph. Abortion opinions aside, I don't think a drug like that should be handed out 'over the counter.' I envision some confused, scared, pregnant girl running down to the drug store taking this pill and getting hurt, hurting the baby, etc, etc.

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 12:56 AM
link   
I am of mixed opinions about this drug.. Maybe it is a good idea.. Things happen guys....condom breaks or was not used appropriately etc... The female in this case wants to make sure she doesn't get pregnant... I don't see it as killing a human.. I mean is it a foetus after 24 hours.. I believe not... just a bunch of cells..

Maybe a counselling session given by the chemist if he/she spots a concerned buyer of the product.

Just some thoughts.

Chris

AF1

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Since there seems to be a lot of debate on what exactly the pill does I found this site:

Plan B� is an emergency contraceptive or "morning-after pill". It can prevent pregnancy if taken within 72 hours after unprotected sex (if a contraceptive fails or if no contraception is used). Plan B� contains levonorgestrel, which is a synthetic hormone (progestin) commonly used in birth control pills. Plan B� is not the same as an abortion pill. It does not work if you are already pregnant. Plan B� does not protect against sexually transmitted diseases. Plan B� should not be used in place of regular contraception. Correct and consistent use of regular contraception would be more effective.

www.go2planb.com...

posted on Apr, 22 2003 @ 07:27 AM
link   
If your against abortions....don't have one.

It's really as simple as that....

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 02:45 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 23 2003 @ 05:59 AM
link   
As far as im aware in UK women have been able to get it over the counter for ages but they only give out one pill a day or sumit like that.

I cudnt realy care less if sumone does this or has an abortion. I wudnt like my girl to get rid of my child but anyone esle can do it as far as im concerned.

new topics

top topics

join