It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Big Brother Cyber Weapon Can Turn on Your Computer’s Microphone, Record Communications

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

New Big Brother Cyber Weapon Can Turn on Your Computer’s Microphone, Take Screen Shots, Copy Data, Record Communications

To the disbelief of many of our readers, in a 2011 report titled Everything You Do Is Monitored, we noted that microphones and cameras on cell phones and computers allow interested parties (translated to mean your respective government) to hear and see everything going on in the direct vicinity of the device without the knowledge of its owner.

That these monitoring features are available on cell phones was a known fact, as FBI surveillance networks already have the ability to turn on any cell phone microphone or camera remotely without tipping off the user. It’s believed that this surveillance technique can work even when the cell phone user has shut down their phone, with the only surefire way to prevent such surveillance being removal of the unit’s battery

Source and Source

Computers, however, were believed to be secure from these kinds of backdoors, and the majority of computer users believe their PC’s are protected from such intrusive technologies once they install virus and malware protection software.

However, a new virus identified by leading digital security firm Kaspersky Lab, is reportedly capable of not only embedding itself onto computer systems without being identified by traditional anti-virus applications, but able to execute total surveillance and monitoring that includes turning on your camera and microphone, copying your data, and recording emails and chat conversations.

I think that this has been going on for a while... I know that cell phones have had back doors in them for years and I;ve read stories of how some perv internet dude got some trojans or whatever installed on peoples computers and had recorded all these chicks changing and showering from his remote location...

So its not that surpising, BUT, i figured that some people may not know or believe it so here it is.

I have a friend who has fully disabled his microphone and puts tape over his built in webcam to ensure noone is watching him.. maybe a bit much? Maybe not, as I have also read stuff saying that google has the ability to 'watch' you through the webcam and determine your pupil dilation and reaction to certain ads which allows them to tailer other ads and products towards you..

**ADDED** Does this ring a bell for anyone??

•"It was terribly dangerous to let your thoughts wander when you were in any public place or within range of a telescreen. The smallest thing could give you away. A nervous tic, an unconscious look of anxiety, a habit of muttering to yourself--anything that carried with it the suggestion of abnormality, of having something to hide. In any case, to wear an improper expression on your face...; was itself a punishable offense. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: facecrime..."
- George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 5

Source

Anyways,

thoughts?!
edit on 5/30/2012 by Nspekta because: added 1984

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
First thing that comes to mind is the Xbox Kinect system.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I took off my laptop keyboard and found the microphone connector and unplugged it, so even if they got into my system it would not work, talk about total back fire lol

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Oh its ok.. its for national security.
Don't you worry your little head about your own personal privacy or freedom or dignity..
Just keep calm and carry on.
Oh and don't forget to pay your taxes yo.. Spying on people is expensive.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Haha. I actually just got a new laptop with a built in webcam and I taped over the lens as well. I always found it creepy to have this camera pointed at me.

As for the camera and microphone under windows, just disable the driver and POOF no more webcam or mic (or sound for that matter).

Anything else can be solved by rolling your own LINUX install. I don't think they know how to deal with that.

Then again isn't running LINUX itself is a suspicious move?

Guess I'm guilty!

-SC

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
::Testing 1, 2, 3, testing:: (knocks) "Is this thing on?"
God help the poor soul looking at me!
Talk about wasted effort

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Well, i dont have an INSYSTEM mic or INSYSTEM cam.
And the faders on my soundboard isnt motorized.

I fail to see HOW they will monitor my system?!?

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
i notice no information at source on which port this critter uses. perhaps dynamic,however, i got a feeling in my water it could be 1027. grc.com is a good site imo to test for open ports, whether it is normal process or something not wanted/required.

f.

good input op s and f
edit on 30-5-2012 by fakedirt because: oops

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
This is where it pays to go old-school. My husband built our computers from scratch, and we use old tube monitors with no cameras in them. We have an older cell phone that we don't really ever use, we just take it with us when we go places in case of emergencies. It would take a much more intensive effort for anybody to spy on us.

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I added this to the orginal header but figured i'd post it again within the thread:

Gives you the shivers!

•"It was terribly dangerous to let your thoughts wander when you were in any public place or within range of a telescreen. The smallest thing could give you away. A nervous tic, an unconscious look of anxiety, a habit of muttering to yourself--anything that carried with it the suggestion of abnormality, of having something to hide. In any case, to wear an improper expression on your face...; was itself a punishable offense. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: facecrime..."

Source

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta
I added this to the orginal header but figured i'd post it again within the thread:

Gives you the shivers!

Source

To anyone reading this post who hasn't read 1984, read it. (I'm sure that it's a small, maybe nonexistent, group here on ATS, but you never know.)

Also, If you have Netflix streaming, the movie has just been released.

Good Stuff! I might have blow the dust off my old copy.

-SC

posted on May, 30 2012 @ 05:20 PM
link   
These capabilities are exactly what we are learning about the Flame virus. Interesting. We have no secrets today except those kept entirely within our heads. --And they are working on ways to dig into those too!
edit on 30-5-2012 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

top topics

join