It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Venus Transit on June 5th and 6th

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   

NASA's Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) satellite will watch from space as Venus crosses the sun's face on June 5 (June 6 in the Eastern Hemisphere) — the last such Venus transit until December 2117

Venus transits occur in pairs that are eight years apart, but these dual events take place less than once per century. The last transit happened in 2004, and the next won't come until 2117. So next month's transit is the last chance for skywatchers to see Earth's so-called sister planet trek across the solar disk.

Mother Nature Network

Here is another link about the history of the transit and guide with great info from Space.com

I didn't see a post on this yet, Just reminder. Hope for clear skies.It appears for the U.S., that June 5th at sunset seems to be the best view time.There is a chart at the space.com link for viewing times for the rest of the world.
A chance to watch once in a lifetime event. I can't wait to see the predictions forums within the next few days

edit on 5/29/2012 by mugger because: add

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
A chance to watch once in a lifetime event.

Twice in a lifetime.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
ive read the elite use venus alot in thier rituals and ive heard bad things about the passing that is 16 days after the eclipse. was the last passing after an ecplise?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Yeah true, unless you missed the 2004, then it is only once

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   

"For the United States, only Hawaii and Alaska will see the entire transit," said SDO project scientist Dean Pesnell, of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. So we said, 'Well, let's go to Alaska and see the transit.'"
Not content to live vicariously through their spacecraft, some SDO scientists are headed to Alaska to watch the seven-hour event in its entirety.

Yay! So I got a chance to see it for seven hours!

edit on 29-5-2012 by Aktulu because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:05 AM
link   
Oh!!

Thanks for this important news item. I am seeing this Venus transit as gasoline on a fire. June 5, 2012 is going to be something astonishing.

posted on May, 31 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The ISS should have a good view of the Venus transit on 5 June 2012, and being as this is the last time it will happen for over 100 years, will they be observing? I know they are always busy checking each others health problems, but maybe they could spare a few seconds to snap a shot? Or how about a video? Just need to pop an ND filter on, shouldn't be a problem for NASA, should it? And it will be visible from the Cupola for part of the time, even if there are no other viewing ports anywhere else on the station. I know, we can see it from Earth, why bother from the ISS...
Captured Image from Celestia:
picasaweb.google.com...

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Bumping this thread so people will know. Get ready! It's tomorrow!

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Bringing my scope to work tomorrow, thanks for the reminder
. Can anybody help me with the time conversion? In the midwest U.S. (central daylight time). Have been reading articles, does around 3:00pm seem right?

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JMech
Bringing my scope to work tomorrow, thanks for the reminder
. Can anybody help me with the time conversion? In the midwest U.S. (central daylight time). Have been reading articles, does around 3:00pm seem right?

It is supposed to start 6:05 PM EDT til Sunset (lasting 6 hours total), so for you I think it would be 5:05 PM til sunset.

Here is also a map from NASA:

edit on 4-6-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ErroneousDylan

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess it will be more unpaid time at work for me
. Worth it though.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   
When will the east coast see it? Preferably the southern east coast.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AFewGoodWomen

6 PM til Sunset.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I'm not sure what the media was blah-blaing and even though I missed that one, I'm pretty sure I saw Venus on the disk of the Sun somewhere 3-4 years ago, I don't remember which planet it was but there aren't much options anyway, it was not Mercury. And what was that about this happening hundreds of years ago (so they said).

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Imtor
I'm not sure what the media was blah-blaing and even though I missed that one, I'm pretty sure I saw Venus on the disk of the Sun somewhere 3-4 years ago, I don't remember which planet it was but there aren't much options anyway, it was not Mercury. And what was that about this happening hundreds of years ago (so they said).

The Transit isn't until later today or tomorrow depending on your location. The last transit happened 8 years ago on June 4th, 2008. The next one won't be until the December, 2117. The transit previous to the 2008 one happened in 1882.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
how can i see it without a telescope, will there be a live feed sumwere?

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by thirdeye3spiral
how can i see it without a telescope, will there be a live feed sumwere?

The best way to view it would be for you to make a Pinhole Camera. I don't know about any streams, sorry.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Its really cloudy here in the UK so no chance of seeing it here

if you want to watch live feed go to ..

sunearthday.nasa.gov...

cant believe there is not more discussion about this going on now.

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Live feed of the Venus transit on www.spaceweather.com, and here is the specific live feed link: Mead Observatory, Mongolia, Australia (I reFUSE to call this the 'Coca-Cola Space Science Center'............ oops; guess I just did. )

Remember to use proper eclipse glasses if you're going to direct view. Nothing else has the density to fully protect your eyes. As the sun gets closer to sunset, I'm hoping to get a photo or two.

happy viewing!

posted on Jun, 5 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
live www.space.com...

Mauna Kea, Hawaii sunearthday.nasa.gov...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join