It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aussie Gov Says They'll Fine Anyone Who Blames Carbon Tax For Price Increases, Despite Carbon Tax C

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
In the past year I've seen 30% rise in mine yet I've taken half of the light globes out of my house and managed to cut use of at least 20% power plus one member left home....yet I'm now paying 30% more. Something is wrong here.

Not related to the carbon tax, but I'll give you one (of the many) reasons.
Peak load. The electricity infrastructure needs to be built to cope with PEAK usage. The maximum usage that will be achieved at any time at all.

This occurs on heatwave days in the afternoon when everyone turns on the air conditioner. About 30 or 40 hours per year. The overwhelming vast majority of the time the extra infrastructure is being used at a minor percentage of its capability, but the peak ability must be built anyway.

Because air conditioners are now basically compulsory in any new building - home, school or workplace - the peak demand is now growing 50% more rapidly than the average. Mostly in the warmer states.
Tens of Billions of dollars are being pumped into the infrastructure to make sure blackouts dont occur in the future on hot days.
Someone has to pay for it. Most of your electricity bill is in fact this.

Me? I've never lived in a place with air conditioning, but I pay for it too.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by Nspekta

What happened when GST first came in to affect, the exact same thing will happen when the Carbon Tax comes in to force July 1st. We are all going to be ripped off big time.

Every Australian should now demand actual readings of their electrical meters (or take them themselves) because electricity is going to be the biggest increase. In the past year I've seen 30% rise in mine yet I've taken half of the light globes out of my house and managed to cut use of at least 20% power plus one member left home....yet I'm now paying 30% more. Something is wrong here.

This... I fished out an electricity bill from 4 years ago and compared it with my latest one. I'm using close to 30% less electricity than this time 4years ago, but my quarterly bill has risen from $250 to $520 (with another 16% increase scheduled for 1st July). In the same time my rent has risen from $170pw to $310pw (modest 2 bedroom unit), it now costs $55 to put a tank of gas in my econobox instead of $30, price of food has risen, public transport costs have gone up almost 30-40% .. the list goes on. In the same period of time my salary has risen by $15,000, which puts me just barely in the maximum income tax bracket (38%) so I end up no better off than I was 4years ago.

This carbon tax is only going to further push the cost of living through the roof and put even more families and single people in financial stress. It's going to badly hurt our economy just so some politicians can pat themselves on the back for being so "environmentally conscious"...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reconsider any vacation plans to the wonderful world of down under.
the price of everything is going up---probably due to the walkin away mumbling tax or the spittin on the sidewalk tax or the de-boardin the ship tax...uhhh maybe that was the movie Popeye...i don't recall - darn - now i owe the don't recall tax...at least the carbon tax won't add to the price of everything.
edit on 29-5-2012 by jibajaba because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Nspekta

Again things are worse than us skeptics claimed.
So now we no longer even have the freedom to say the truth without risking million fines or jail time. So much for freedom of speech and again Australia proves what kind of totalitarian nanny state they are becoming.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

There it is. You can't have it more simple than that. She has lied on this topic and has lied wherever else she can.

www.rightpulse.com...

This is the person who schemed, lied and forced her way into her position. If Australia ever needed a revolution, it's now.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Mkoll

Rubbish. This law is meant to target big companies, like power producers, not small businesses.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7
reply to post by Mkoll

Rubbish. This law is meant to target big companies, like power producers, not small businesses.

SHOPS and restaurants could face fines up to $1.1 million if waiters or sales staff wrongly blame the carbon tax for price rises or exaggerate the impact.And households are being warned to watch out for telephone scammers offering to deposit carbon tax compensation into their bank accounts.The prices watchdog, the ACCC, will today launch its countdown to the July 1 carbon tax with a special focus on helping small businesses understand their obligations and consumers to be vigilant for false claims.

source

Sounds like small business to me...

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nspekta

You DO get that you just quoted an opinionated news piece, RIGHT?

It's too bad people like you dont understand the difference between news and opinion.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by stanguilles7

Originally posted by Nspekta

You DO get that you just quoted an opinionated news piece, RIGHT?

It's too bad people like you dont understand the difference between news and opinion.

Check again.. you didn't even click on it! Its the from the money section News.com.au

Its a large news network.. but here is another link that you'll most likely not click but are ALSO from another news source, also news-worthy because they are reporting the actual law! Read them both and get back to us, thx!

Herald.Sun.Au

SHOPS and restaurants could face fines up to $1.1 million if waiters or sales staff wrongly blame the carbon tax for price rises or exaggerate the impact.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I'm just wondering what happens when the Kyoto Protocol runs out ?
Will there be a worldwide carbon credit collapse.

The Kyoto Protocol is the mechanism that is the only internationally agreed mechanism for regulating carbon credit activities, and, crucially, includes checks for additionality and overall effectiveness.

Its supporting organisation, the UNFCCC, is the only organisation with a global mandate on the overall effectiveness of emission control systems, although enforcement of decisions relies on national co-operation.

The Kyoto trading period only applies for five years between 2008 and 2012.
It expires On December 31, 2012

Oh ya the U.N.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LordGoofus

That sounds about right if I compare mine too.

I rarely if ever use my air conditioner in the summer as I hate them and I don't have much need for a heater either in the winter.

But to charge people for electricity without actually reading the meter is pure theft. Whats going to happen is with the skyrocket of rent and electricity there will be little left to put food on the table - and thats when trouble is going to start just like that that happened in Germany prior to going to war. Perhaps this is what the powers to be want?

Now if the poor people got up and leave the big cities - they are at risk of drought and severe flooding - and when the banks go down, so do the insurance companies. None of these families will find an insurance company to cover them for our risky climate.

Another 2,000 unemployed yesterday through another company going bust. Wait until end of this year, we've seen nothing yet so prepare yourselves.

posted on Jul, 24 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join