It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illinois illegally seizes bees resistant to Roundup; kills remaining queens

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

Well this thread was started by a MOD with the impression that "something fishy was going on" but then it took a very quick right off the turnpike and suddenly it's all about government and regulatory apologetics, despite some significant facts that suggest foul play.

I swear to God this place stinks more and more every time I log in.

This guy had FIFTEEN YEARS OF RESEARCH into the affects of RoundUp on his bees. He finally gets close to making public his conclusions and "suddenly" the government brings down the hammer?

Are you people that #ing dense, or what?

edit on 29-5-2012 by HIWATT because: add

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by hawkiye

It's equally amazing the amount of people will believe any anti government story just because it's an anti government story.

Confirmation bias runs rampant!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

Do the other Bees kill the Queen?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

Why are you supporting this guy when he has no real evidence to back his claims? Where are the actual court documents? Where are the letters they sent him?

This guy even admits to being a wreckless bee owner and doing live experiments to see if foulbrood would spread.

“When I was breeding my own bees, before they were killed by Round Up, I had foulbrood in one hive. I left it there all summer, just to see if the other hives would pick it up. They never did. That’s when I knew that it’s not as bad as people let on. Bees can take care of it. I had an inspector come in and examine for it, and he said the yard was clean, and I knew it wasn’t.

www.pacc-news.com...

Because of the persistence of the spores (which can survive up to 40 years), many State Apiary Inspectors require an AFB diseased hive to be burned completely. A less radical method of containing the spread of disease is burning the frames and comb and thoroughly flame scorching the interior of the hive body, bottom board and covers

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 29-5-2012 by RealSpoke because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by HIWATT

Why are you supporting this guy when he has no real evidence to back his claims? Where are the actual court documents? Where are the letters they sent him?

This guy even admits to being a wreckless bee owner and doing live experiments to see if foulbrood would spread.

“When I was breeding my own bees, before they were killed by Round Up, I had foulbrood in one hive. I left it there all summer, just to see if the other hives would pick it up. They never did. That’s when I knew that it’s not as bad as people let on. Bees can take care of it. I had an inspector come in and examine for it, and he said the yard was clean, and I knew it wasn’t.

www.pacc-news.com...

"reckless bee owner" ?

Maybe you missed the part that mentioned he's been doing this for nearly SIXTY YEARS

I think he knows a thing or two about how bees behave and how any disease might affect them. Certainly more than you or I do.

This is precisely the point. This guy was a threat as evidenced by his vast knowledge and experience on the subject. Nevermind the 15 years he'd been poking his nose where he should not have been.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by HIWATT

So you're taking some guys word because he's old? I know many old and mislead people. Age does not bring wisdom or knowledge. Some people get stuck in their beliefs and do not want to admit they are wrong. That's a REALLY unreliable line of thought to go by. I require evidence and some sort of proof to make a judgement, not someones age.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Druid42

State government is STILL the government.
Where's the check?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
You are talking Illinois here, I would say that the Beekeeper wasn't playing nice with the "good old boys" and that is why his stock got destroyed more then anything else. On a side note with the expansion of private beekeepers around the country it is important to keep deadly diseases in check.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT
Slightly more in depth info + video

www.pacc-news.com...

Sooner or later, someone is going to shoot one of these "agents". They continually break the law, manufacture "evidence", violate even the most basic rights, and slander/frame citizenry.

It's going to happen. No ATF shotgun ban is going to save them.

(edit: sorry. looks to be the same video)
edit on 28-5-2012 by HIWATT because: add

Even if they do ban shotguns...so what? Pitchforks, clubs, and heavy rocks are also time-tested ways to f%^k someone up.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
reply to post by HIWATT

So you're taking some guys word because he's old? I know many old and mislead people. Age does not bring wisdom or knowledge. Some people get stuck in their beliefs and do not want to admit they are wrong. That's a REALLY unreliable line of thought to go by. I require evidence and some sort of proof to make a judgement, not someones age.

Words of wisdom.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by jssaylor2007

...i have taken my fair share of Roundup to the mouth/face/eyes, and I am still doing fine.

That's what you think.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Is it just a coincidence that almost every time there is a thread posted that has something to do with Monsanto the trolls come out in force and try to turn speculation into facts?

I think the old saying "Die as the hero or live long enough to become the villain" is really starting to apply to this website.
edit on 29-5-2012 by Konduit because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Ok city boy,

Roundup by itself is not dangerous, nice picture, but i bet there is a hell of a lot more chemicals in that tank mix than just round up.

We get roundup in 500 gallon shuttles, and i have taken my fair share of Roundup to the mouth/face/eyes, and I am still doing fine.

Roundup doesnt worry me, its the other chemicals that will get you.

Here's how stupid this idea that "roundup" being safe is:

1. The term "Roundup" is simply a brand name...it in no way references a specific mixture of chemical compounds. Through the years the "recipe" for "Roundup" has frequently been modified, adjusted, and played with.

2. Therefore, let's just say that this years version of "Roundup" is "safe". That doesn't mean NEXT year's will ALSO be "safe". It could contain chemicals that the previous year did not or have altered quantities of chemical compounds.

3. Let's just say that "Roundup" is "safe". That doesn't necessarily mean that it won't inadvertently recombine with OTHER environmental factors elsewhere in the food chain. We now know that ANY living organisms DNA will begin to mutate based upon the diet said organism is consuming. This is true for plants, animals, fungi, and even microbiotic life forms. Thus, "Roundup" could be "safe" for the farmer and corn..but might create small genetic mutations in the cattle that EATS said corn which could have PROFOUND impacts upon the humans who eat the beef products from the affected cattle.

4. Just because "Roundup" doesn't cause any PRIMARY observational health problems in the farmers using it...doesn't mean that it doesn't affect others who are around it...especially children who are still developing. Likewise, it may cause mutations in a populations zygotes so that such problems are not even noticed until people in the farm community reproduce.

Lastly...here's a little observational reality for you. My wife (born 1967) grew up on a dairy farm in a (very) small town in WI. Her graduating class from High School had 103 students in it. She is now 44 years old and there have been 11 people in that graduating class diagnosed with brain tumors, 7 of which have died. Likewise, the town did not have even ONE documented case of a brain tumor prior to 1974....a good thirty years after X-Ray technology was widely in use.

Now, I'm certainly not an oncologist...but I'm pretty goddamn sure that the national average for brain tumors isn't 10.68%. I know for a fact that 10%+ of my address book has not been diagnosed with such.

SOMETHING in the environment triggered this amongst CHILDREN who were still developing. The big change in this farming community in the 70's was that the use of "Roundup" became nearly universal amongst the farms. No other chemical compound was added so widely or so pervasively throughout the community during these years.

Still think it's "safe"?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
You would think that a man who has been looking after bees for a good portion of his life would know whether his bees had a disease or not !
I think that was basically their excuse to go in without warrant and kill his queens from producing any more resistant bees !
Hopefully some of the colony remains and a new queen is created and the resistant strain carries on!

Shame on monsanto , I hope this guy and his bees get justice !

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sapien82

Here's some information about the person who carried out the confiscation of the bees...

Susan Kivikko with the Northern Beekeepers says that honey bees cover a large area, but there are simple steps beekeepers can take to protect their honeybees and therefore their investment.

Hives can be covered with netting, which will prevent any bees from leaving and those returning from being able to unload their nectar. Beekeepers can bait their yards in advance so the honeybees won't seek forage into the spray area or they can even move a hive. All of these things take a little time to be effective. This is why pesticide applicators should give beekeepers ample notice of their applications.

Kivikko also says that honeybees gather water in the morning and nectar in the afternoon. Since an adult honeybee does not ingest pollen but brings it back as a protein source for the developing brood, spraying later in the day will allow pesticides to dry or dissipate before it would be brought back to the hive. In addition, the further a honeybee travels from the hive, the less likely she will be to leave after 6pm.

With this information in mind, pesticide applicators should follow these three simple steps:

1. Display the informational poster.

2. Notify at least 24 hours in advance. (48 hours is better.)

3. Spray as late in the day as possible.

In doing so, you will help maximize a beekeeper's potential to help the honeybee industry survive. The IllinoisBees initiative was developed to provide the agricultural industry with the tools necessary for a successful year for all.

web.extension.illinois.edu...

Clearly, the MO of a Monsato shill...

edit on 29/5/12 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 08:39 AM
link   
It really is sad the guy did not embrace technology and have the place wired up for our viewing pleasure (personally I am not afraid of a wired-up world). It is without a doubt those "in power" who will ultimately abuse it; even if the man had infected bees the process and considerations of a man's life's work was the bottom line here.

Who ever the inspectors are, the disease exists, the bees have been "abused" by our world across the globe, the very fabric of our plant kingdom is facing patent-frenzy, psychotic corporations who believe they can own something that is not a disposable product and yet treat it as such. To them we are just as disposable!

The Government in this case is guilty for what ever the intent or purpose and should be reprimanded severely!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
There's two sides to every story but in my opinion i think the inspecter's were right to seize and kill off these infected colonies. If i were selected for the jury that's how i would vote.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

"reckless bee owner" ?

Maybe you missed the part that mentioned he's been doing this for nearly SIXTY YEARS

You are having a laugh surely? Age is no indication of competance.

I think he knows a thing or two about how bees behave and how any disease might affect them. Certainly more than you or I do.

So you believe based on one fact "his age".

This is precisely the point. This guy was a threat as evidenced by his vast knowledge and experience on the subject. Nevermind the 15 years he'd been poking his nose where he should not have been.

Again you are assuming"vast knowledge" based on his age and you have your conspiracy hat on when assuming he was a threat. He had a diseased hive and kept it that way on purpose. Did he have controlled facilities ? Was that hive isolated for cross contamination amongst other bees ? Was he licensed to carry out biological tests like this?

Come on if any private "nasty" company carried out unlicensed tests in the open air with diseased stock you would all be going mental!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

Queen bees are typically only "killed" by another queen bee that the hive has produced. The older queen usually accepts defeat before death, and leaves the hive to start a new one. She takes a group of loyal bees, and starts a swarm.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

WTF man, bees are dying everywhere but Aussie land someone on this planet really doesn't like bees and wants to see them extinct

Who in gods name is destroying these little critters cause science still doesn't fully understand why they are dying everywhere and it ain't just the mites that's killing them

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join