It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet AND Cell Phone Service Disrupted In Northern Michigan For Nearly 2 Hours

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Yesterday (Sunday 5/27/2012) afternoon cell phone service AND Charter cable internet service in Northeastern Lower Michigan was totally shut off for up to two hours. I can see one carrier having a problem, but several people using different cell phone providers have reported that they were not able to use their phones.

Add to that the disruption of Charter internet service, a totally separate system, at the exact same time, when Charter's cable television service was not affected by the outage - both delivered via the same wire - and I smell a rat.

I'm currently in the process of finding as many people as I can to tell me which carriers they use. I can't report on satellite cable/internet providers like Dish Network as of yet, but it will be interesting to see if their internet service was affected as well.

Is this the "Kill Switch" in action? A test on a rem ote part of the country? Has anyone else experienced similar outages? Inquiring minds want to know.

edit on 5/28/2012 by OldCorp because: Don't Grammar Nazi me for "re mote" The HTML is right, and it is spelled correctly.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Do you have any evidence of people with different cellular providers reporting a service disruption?

Just because cable and internet use coaxial to deliver to your home, doesn't mean they both use the same infrastructure. These are separate services and are only joined at the main cable box that serves your immediate area.

I don't mean to be rude, but you claim to be an investigative journalist and are reporting hearsay, and have an obvious lack of understanding regarding how internet and cable are delivered to your house.. Is ATS your source for "investigation?"

Some proof would be fabulous. =D
edit on 28-5-2012 by TinkerHaus because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I live in Michigan and have friends all over the state. I have heard nothing of this happening. But then again...maybe thats why.

What area, precisely are you referring to? And at what time did this event happen? I can check it out quite easily.

link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Do you have any evidence of people with different cellular providers reporting a service disruption?

Just because cable and internet use coaxial to deliver to your home, doesn't mean they both use the same infrastructure. These are separate services and are only joined at the main cable box that serves your immediate area.

I don't mean to be rude, but you claim to be an investigative journalist and are reporting hearsay, and have an obvious lack of understanding regarding how internet and cable are delivered to your house.. Is ATS your source for "investigation?"

The thing that got my attention was that cell phones from different providers were affected as well. I doubt that both systems are run through the same box.

I'm just asking questions. And it's NOT hearsay because I experienced it myself. So, unless you are calling me a liar, don't get your panties in a twist.
edit on 5/28/2012 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by DIDtm
reply to post by OldCorp

I live in Michigan and have friends all over the state. I have heard nothing of this happening. But then again...maybe thats why.

What area, precisely are you referring to? And at what time did this event happen? I can check it out quite easily.

Go to the link in the OP. It happened between 4 and 7 p.m.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I'm in South West Michiogan and since Thursday The local paper and Craigs List have been blocked for me??? But not at work or a few blocks away

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

The thing that got my attention was that cell phones from different providers were affected as well. I doubt that both systems are run through the same box.

And it's NOT hearsay because I experienced it myself. Unless you are calling me a liar. I'm just asking questions. Don't get your panties in a twist.

Well..

I'm searching the internet for outages both internet and cellular in your area, and finding nothing. When there is an outage the provider's support forums are usually chaotic with complaints, and there are NONE.

I don't think it's "lying" when you are mistaken but believe you are telling the truth.. You're just misinformed and have a presupposition to conspiracy. Of course you are a respected member so this thread will get countless stars and flags based on that alone. It's easier to follow than to lead. =]

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Happened with the internet here in London last night at around 3 am local time. Didn't come back on until this morning.

I didn't think anything of it, I just thought BT were being useless again.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Its not uncommon here in the UK for mobile phone companies to share some network infrastructure so theres probably some point in a building where alot of the phone companies networks link up to the internet and that point has gone mamaries skyward but knowing IT like i do it aint failed completely just sat there having a sulk so the backup gear didnt kick in until someone arrived at the site and physically kicked it offline

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   
In the United Kingdom, there has been a "kill switch" in place since the 1950's, even for analog phone systems.

Why shouldn't the Government have the ability to shut down citizen access to essential services during a time of national emergency?

You Americans and your "rights" need to focus your outrage onto the things that matter.

Coming soon, I've been developing a thread about misdirected anger which should stimulate quite a bit of debate on the issue.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Get some more feedback on some of the cell providers.

Then start connecting the dots.
edit on 28-5-2012 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Heard nothing about here in downstate Michigan....SE part.
But, I try not to listen to the newz

You might try looking here for other info on the outage:
www.dslreports.com...
It's where I go when I have trouble with WOW!....assuming the internet is working.
Also, didn;'t you guys have some weather yesterday? Not sure ...you may have been too far north...but the radar north of us looked pretty nasty for a while in the afternoon.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
reply to post by OldCorp

Heard nothing about here in downstate Michigan....SE part.
But, I try not to listen to the newz

www.dslreports.com...
It's where I go when I have trouble with WOW!....assuming the internet is working.
Also, didn;'t you guys have some weather yesterday? Not sure ...you may have been too far north...but the radar north of us looked pretty nasty for a while in the afternoon.

We did have a bit, some thunderstorms and whatnot before 1 p.m.; but the skies had been clearing sunny from about 2 p.m. on. My son snuck out of the house the morning to do a bit of fishing at dawn and caught 3 bass 17, 19, and 22 inches.
He came back home around 8 and I went back out with him, but didn't catch anything more.

Thanks for that link,. I had no idea we little people had access to things like that. I'll check into it when I get back from the grocery. Apparently it's a tradition to grill on days like this.

And THANK YOU to all of those who served so that I can enjoy days like today. Semper Fi.

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

I have found that site invaluable to learn why the cable is out, why the internet is slow....let's face it, if there is a problem and you call your provider...the lines will be busy or they tell you they are working on it...not much help

posted on May, 28 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
reply to post by OldCorp

www.dslreports.com...

I signed up with a Basic membership and went to use the connectivity tool, where I was told I had to "Purchase Points" in order to view the report. Anything free I can use?

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
It had to do with the fires up here.

posted on May, 29 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
I too am in Northern Michigan. Cell and internet were not completely down, just overloaded the network with holiday travel. In my tourist town we had an increase of 15-20,000 ppl. That puts a huge tax on our already under towered area of for cell service.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by OldCorp

Service has been spotty for AT&T herein Kalkaska for well over 2 weeks This past weekend it was down for the most part, has been out for over 6 hours today.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CoronasAndChips

Our zip code 49646 Kalkaska, Mi. I drove to Traverse city Michigan Saturday as thats the nearest Corporate office and they played dumb and said no outages reported. Neighbors have at&t relatives have at&t and and all were effected.

posted on Jun, 4 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
the common denominator is,,

Fibre Op

i know why,,

do u?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join